Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The dreaded stone chip !

Oceandream A-T

Oceandream A-T

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Afternoon guys, :mad: aggghhhhhhh

After some advice, just taken the ocean out for a spin to Tesco and come back with a nasty chip in the window from a passing lorry. The chip has now split so will need a replacement. I’m with comfort insurance and have screen cover.
What did you guys do when and if it happened ? Did you try and get a VW screen put back in? I have the rain sensor and auto lights. I’m located 20min away from Breeze Poole.
Thanks

7D26E86D-4857-44B3-8BBD-4BA37204AD31.jpeg

43153497-9EDF-4D48-8CBA-335C86E6920D.jpeg

096E2CD0-FFBA-40C4-A0FA-63FE9A2BB1E9.jpeg

7A440C61-731E-42F5-BE66-5EDA84670EAE.jpeg

0D89BF6B-FB2D-4A80-8C40-5F99D75144BE.jpeg

Yes request a genuine VW windscreen replacement.

Some insurers will charge an extra premium for this option.

Some insurers specifically stipulate that you cannot have a genuine part because of the cost variation.

Best to read the small print in your insurance policy before you call.

I seem to remember reading that non-genuine windscreens play havoc with all the sensors fitted to these vehicles nowadays. Personally I wouldn't take the risk, genuine VW replacement only.

Cheers guys, after speaking to breeze they have recommended the same. Now waiting on a call back from comforts preferred window screen company to book in. Iv politely asked for nothing else but a genuine screen to go back in. Thanks for your reply’s

Auto glass did mine and I was able to request a genuine VW screen. Despite hearing some auto glass T6 horror stories it’s been fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Auto glass did mine and I was able to request a genuine VW screen. Despite hearing some auto glass T6 horror stories it’s been fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That’s reassuring to hear. Thanks

Afternoon guys, :mad: aggghhhhhhh

After some advice, just taken the ocean out for a spin to Tesco and come back with a nasty chip in the window from a passing lorry. The chip has now split so will need a replacement. I’m with comfort insurance and have screen cover.
What did you guys do when and if it happened ? Did you try and get a VW screen put back in? I have the rain sensor and auto lights. I’m located 20min away from Breeze Poole.
Thanks

View attachment 63041

View attachment 63042

View attachment 63043

View attachment 63044

View attachment 63046
We are with comfort and had a bad chip on the way back from croyde. First they tried to repair but we could still see it and it was right in the front of the drivers side. First of all autoglass tried to fit a non VW windscreen even though we asked for a genuine VW replacement. When we dropped the van there we refused to have it done as it has heated windscreens, they then contacted the insurance and got approval for a genuine one. Think it cost us £75 in the end for excess.
hope that helps

We are with comfort and had a bad chip on the way back from croyde. First they tried to repair but we could still see it and it was right in the front of the drivers side. First of all autoglass tried to fit a non VW windscreen even though we asked for a genuine VW replacement. When we dropped the van there we refused to have it done as it has heated windscreens, they then contacted the insurance and got approval for a genuine one. Think it cost us £75 in the end for excess.
hope that helps

Thanks for your reply, that sounds very similar to our situation. After speaking firstly to national windscreens we had to really fight to get a genuine VW screen ordered. After a lot emails and phone calls they eventually relented and spoke directly with comfort/AVIVA who confirmed that we were covered for a genuine screen to be fitted.
Booked in for this Wednesday to have the screen fitted, what a palaver but glad it’s been sorted.
Cheers

Write to your insurers advising they if they insist on installing an aftermarket screen you will expect them to indemnify you against any future issues with the associated electrical installations. Odds on they authorise the VW screen.

Hi Oceandream A-T.
I had a similar situation myself, Stone chip size of a fifty pence piece, we are insured with Aviva, when phoned for replacement, spoke to national windscreens who informed me a non genuine will be fitted but you can pay £500 plus vat For genuine Vw ,after more phone calls, eventually spoke to Auto glass who informed me that because I have requested a genuine Vw Windscreen and they have agreement with Aviva that a genuine Vw windscreen will be fitted, so cancelled National windscreens , week later all sorted by Auto glass apparently it depends on who you are insured with plus what windscreen company you are directed to.

Alan.

I recently insisted on and received a VW heated screen at no additional cost. Insured through Safeguard.

Insured with LV,

2018 reg (older than three years)

cracked screen from stone impact.

Replacement screen excess £95

went through Auto glass direct, LV provide a link on their website (very easy). no need to speak to anyone.

i stated (in the form) , the screen was heated, auto wipers and the vehicle had Cruise and emergency braking etc, I specifically requested Original Equipment (OE) replacement.

Auto glass called to advise they would need to refer to my insurer, because I had requested a OE glass.

LV approved immediately and glass was ordered. (Not in stock) takes about a week to arrive.
New OE screen fitted, all systems work perfectly (and were checked by the Auto glass Operative),
the Screen is guaranteed against fault & leaks for the duration I own the vehicle.

the service fromAuto glass was spot on,
the guy even let me clean out all the detritus from behind the scuttle panel , (where the pop top roof drains into) similarly I washed out the two catchment areas before he fitted the new Screen, there was an awful lot of wet decaying Crud in both of them, despite having had no rain for a few days the crud was still surprisingly wet. (Another thing to add to my annual maintenance!
I will be cleaning out both front wheel arch liners next to remove the considerable amount of crud washed from the scuttle into the liner, and from the road, which in the past has been substantial amounts of crud, leaves and general detritus from trees, mud etc.

Hi Oceandream A-T.
I had a similar situation myself, Stone chip size of a fifty pence piece, we are insured with Aviva, when phoned for replacement, spoke to national windscreens who informed me a non genuine will be fitted but you can pay £500 plus vat For genuine Vw ,after more phone calls, eventually spoke to Auto glass who informed me that because I have requested a genuine Vw Windscreen and they have agreement with Aviva that a genuine Vw windscreen will be fitted, so cancelled National windscreens , week later all sorted by Auto glass apparently it depends on who you are insured with plus what windscreen company you are directed to.

Alan.
I’m on my second windscreen in three years you just have to demand a vw screen or they will try to palm you off with a non vw screen
Auto glass were fine but I wouldn’t recommend auto windscreens

The worst bit is you have to declare it when you reinsure. I only had a tiny chip but it was right in my eyeline. Booked a repair online through Autoglass and paid my £25 excess. The repair was hopeless and wish I hadn’t bothered. For what it cost for the 4 years I will have to declare it I should have gone for a new screen.
I thought about letting Halfords have a go but heard some not so nice things about them and people ending up needing a new screen anyway.

LV do not penalise you for a window claim

“There are some cases where a claim won't affect your NCD. For example, if you get a chip in your windscreen and it needs to be repaired or replaced, you'll have to pay an excess - but you won't lose any of your NCD”

“There are some cases where a claim won't affect your NCD. For example, if you get a chip in your windscreen and it needs to be repaired or replaced, you'll have to pay an excess - but you won't lose any of your NCD”
Comfort don't use your NCD, yet they look after it for the duration of the policy. Claims don't impact renewal premiums or erode what you have. They will reissue your NCD back untouched at the end of the policy regardless of claims made.

I never said it affected my NCD. What it does affect is the renewal price of the policy. I am with LV and declaring a windscreen repair made a difference of around £25 to the renewal price. It comes in a category of its own under Windscreen repairs or replacement.
With the central database all insurance companies would know if you have made a claim in the past 4 or so years. Better to be upfront and tell them sooner than the chance of them cancelling you insurance.

I never said it affected my NCD. What it does affect is the renewal price of the policy. I am with LV and declaring a windscreen repair made a difference of around £25 to the renewal price. It comes in a category of its own under Windscreen repairs or replacement.
With the central database all insurance companies would know if you have made a claim in the past 4 or so years. Better to be upfront and tell them sooner than the chance of them cancelling you insurance.
Were you insured with LV at the time of the Claim ?

I've just had a call with auto glass, and they're asking me about solar windows and if there's a green tint on the glass. They say they can't initiate any repair until they know the answer to these questions, does anyone know on a T6 California whether there are solar windows or a green tint ?

Also reading above I will insist on getting a genuine VW replacement

Your Vin number should be all you need , the vin number identifies the build configuration and should tell Auto glass all they need to know ! . . . ?

Back