Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The drivers seat swivel !

Brianc26

Brianc26

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
hi is it just me or is it a nightmare to turn the drivers seat around without it taking 10 attempts and what a bad design having to put the handbrake off

hi is it just me or is it a nightmare to turn the drivers seat around without it taking 10 attempts and what a bad design having to put the handbrake off
You'll get more accurate and quicker.
When you identify the sweet spot for the seat, mark it with duct tape!

Not just you - swivelling the seat drove me nuts at first! But, as Skylark says, it gets easier, particularly if you put a discreet marker at the spot where you need the seat to be in order to swivel it.

I don't think about it now,

do it a couple of times and it becomes automatic,

as for pencil marks, how will I ever spot one between all the other marks :shocked

Yup, I have a nice scratch on the plastic where we got it wrong once. Steering wheel up and in, seat forward, tilted, door open then swivel. Its not a great design to be honest, my 30 year old van has easier to adjust swivel seats...

Last edited:
On a recent T6 video the guy swivelled the seat from inside the van. That hadn't occurred to me to do it from inside the van before - certainly quicker to apply the handbrake if the van starts to move!!

Must try it next time out.

Cpjb, was he sitting on the seat??
My handbook forbids the practice. I am not sure why though.
I like to do mine from outside as it means you don't need to bend(poor old back)
But you do need to be on level ground or the poor ratchet in the DSG box gets a wack

Cpjb, was he sitting on the seat??
My handbook forbids the practice. I am not sure why though.
I like to do mine from outside as it means you don't need to bend(poor old back)
But you do need to be on level ground or the poor ratchet in the DSG box gets a wack
I've never had any movement when taking the handbrake off with the DSG box in Park. Even on a slope. But then I do stop with footbrake. Put DSG into Park. Switch OFF and then apply Handbrake.

It's not the movement , I have just read that you shouldn't rely on the DSG in park, as the van is held by a smal ratchet.
I gather it is quite usual in the states not to bother with the handbrake.

I don't think it is a " Small " ratchet but something a little more substantial.

DSG control
The direct-shift gearbox uses a floor-mounted transmission shift lever, very similar to that of a conventional automatic transmission.The lever is operated in a straight 'fore and aft' plane (without any 'dog-leg' offset movements), and uses an additional button to help prevent an inadvertent selection of an inappropriate shift lever position.

"P"
P
position of the floor-mounted gear shift lever means that the transmission is set in "Park". Both clutch packs are fully disengaged, all gear-sets are disengaged, and a solid mechanical transmission 'lock' is applied to the crown wheel of the DSG's internal differential. This position must only be used when the motor vehicle is stationary. Furthermore, this is th
e position which must be set on the shift lever before the vehicle ignition key can be removed.

I also found this diagram Weshgas. It goes well with your explanation of the DSG gearbox....and how to avoid the lag.
image.png
I am a bit off thread now though.

View attachment 11683 This is the little devil.
Not sure I would like to trust 2670kg on it on a slope
+ The engine Compression. I'm perfectly happy. It is no different than leaving a Manual gearbox in 1st. A Handbrake is even more problematic. There have been instances of a Handbrake being put on securely on a Hot Brake Disc. As the Disc cools then the Handbrake becomes ineffective. I cannot find any references to the DSG Parking lock failing - Handbrakes a different matter all together.

+ The engine Compression. I'm perfectly happy. It is no different than leaving a Manual gearbox in 1st. A Handbrake is even more problematic. There have been instances of a Handbrake being put on securely on a Hot Brake Disc. As the Disc cools then the Handbrake becomes ineffective. I cannot find any references to the DSG Parking lock failing - Handbrakes a different matter all together.
I can vouch for that about the handbrake. This car rolled about 50 meters down the hill into my wife's car while we were washing it at our old house. Scary thing I was just bent down washing that wheel about 10 mins before this car hit at about 15 mph. It had been parked their about 20 mins before it came down and it was completely silent (until the crunch).
B6AC3EF4-7131-4480-914B-0CC26C6D0FB5_zps4xesnzam.jpg

8C73B657-8722-4997-819A-5FF2A1B3326A_zpstwwhtvjz.jpg

9586BBBF-CE6D-4441-B3F8-8EA1B36C5CA3_zpskuvnty7x.jpg

On topic.....like most things with the Cali you will get a routine, now takes us seconds to swivel the drivers seat....we haven't marked the 'right spot' with tape etc to move the seat forward (good idea though) but have just got used to it. Whenever we stop, into 1st, handbrake off, seat forward, tilt back of seat forwards and spin it round.....:)

If both clutches are disengaged, is there any engine compassion??
I guess I am only quoting after I researched before getting my DSG, so not evidence based , and mostly American sites.

Cyclopath - to answer your question it was about 75% through the first clip listed in the "Some useful T6 videos" post.

The operator was sitting in the driver seat (LHS on clip), and swivelled the passenger seat.

Personally I've always been happy to swivel it from the outside, using Neilgbj's approach, but sometimes putting it into reverse (as well as 1st) ;).

.....yep we do passenger seat from inside the van....:)

If both clutches are disengaged, is there any engine compassion??
I guess I am only quoting after I researched before getting my DSG, so not evidence based , and mostly American sites.
Yeah got that wrong. Thinking of my Defender.
But that picture you posted is for the old 6 speed DSG box and in the later 7 speed DSG box it is a much larger steel bolt that does the business, locking all Driving wheels together and locks the Diff Crown Wheel.

image.png

Not just you - swivelling the seat drove me nuts at first! But, as Skylark says, it gets easier, particularly if you put a discreet marker at the spot where you need the seat to be in order to swivel it.

What exactly do you mark?

I ask from point of view of where exactly to return seat to when swiveling back to driving position. I have gotten used to swiveling to face backwards but often find myself adjusting and readjusting to find that perfect position while driving.

Noeleen, . . . . then put your tape on
It is the position where nothing hits

Yes . . . but. . . where should I put the tape? on the rotating wheel? on the side of seat? on both?

Sorry, it is too wet and too dark to go outside to check the van right now!

image.jpeg

There is my tape, not very subtle, and as you can see the seat is to far forwards to rotate . But when lined up, it is ideal.
.....note to self to buy some black tape

Yes . . . but. . . where should I put the tape? on the rotating wheel? on the side of seat? on both?

Sorry, it is too wet and too dark to go outside to check the van right now!
On the rails that the seat slides up and down. It ju
View attachment 11856

There is my tape, not very subtle, and as you can see the seat is to far forwards to rotate . But when lined up, it is ideal.
.....note to self to buy some black tape
grey duct tape blends in but is enough to spot.