Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Essential Accessory List..........

I

Iain&Shani

VIP Member
OK; "Colin the cali" arrives in a couple of weeks so we are getting excited. Having tugged previously we know that the accessory list is never ending.... well Shani always managed to buy something on each and every visit to an accessory shop (Caravan not bling). We will be adding a Kyham Motordome and a Cadac of some sorts but what do you suggest should be "essential"?

Hi I will start the ball rolling.
Hook up lead.
Kettle.
Tea bags.
See what I like to do first when I arrive somewhere.

Double skillet http://www.doubleskillet.com/
Briefcase BBQ
Power adaptor http://www.maplin.co.uk/worldwide-travel-adaptor-with-twin-usb-charger-393930
Tie down set
Luggable loo or some such to increase your potential camping spots
iPad (can't get much more multi purpose than one of those)
Mattress toppers - with two the upstarts bed is much comfier than being at home
outside Front blinds

The list never stops. What bike lights do Iget for the Brompton twins? Hope Vision 1's or Cateye 520's for the front?

Well looking at the battery life, would have to be the cateyes for me, damn they look good, only 37 quid on cycle sports uk, I must resist...........

Fabulous stuff folks. Some of it we were thinking about so we are on the right lines; and as has been said, "The list never stops"

It's just a pity we got shot of so much of the basics when we sold the tourer a couple of years ago!!

Sadly in north Devon today, we would go for snorkels and flippers. It's a bit wetter and windier here than Cornwall was!

Cobb BBQ
Levelling ramps
Taylormade or silver screen
Raskelf duvalay ( £20 off next week )

Been there done that sympathise mate. Just remind her it's only a little van.

I bought the Cateye 520's. £26.99 at Gadgets to Buy, and a pair of Knog Skinks for the rear at £19.96, so with the Cateye cordless speedo, a ton with P&P. A couple of Klickfix bottle cages and that should be about it. I have spare innertubes, tempted by the Topeak vertical saddle bags and another Alien tool.

Thanks Martin for the Duvalay discount advice - have ordered 2. They never seem to have a sale - and it finishes on Jan 15th - so hurry if you want one!

LickeyEndBlues said:
Swaleuk said:
Whats the web address for gadgets to buy please?

There are a variety of places to buy stuff. Search the items on Google or whatever your search engine is to see whats what. Towsure and GoOutdoors are also good sources.
http://www.towsure.com/
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/

Oh please, (biting my lip)
As per question I was looking for the site that they were found for 26 quid as they are usually a lot more, only go outdoors lists them at that price and I had already seen that,but looking at the picture and the spec they are something else, the 520's are 1800 candle power

Raskelf Duvaley- does its come as one size only.
Would one be enough for the bottom bed it's only 66 cm wide and I cannot see the width of the rock and roll bench bed on the vw site. Do I need to buy 2????

DSG 180 being picked up this week hopefully gun metal grey, MFS, no climatronic

Hi Isa,

Yes you'll need two. One's not wide enough although you'll find that two are just a little too wide downstairs (the upstairs bed is wider). Don't worry - they 'curve up' slightly at the edges so they fit neatly side by side.

Some people ask Raskelf to trim them to fit the Cali using their template. However we mix and match our four depending on sleeping arrangements so unless you're always going to sleep on the same side I wouldn't recommend this.

Duvalays are the best buy we've made for our Cali - really comfy. The kids even lie in With them (unknown at home !).

wingate_52 said:
I bought the Cateye 520's. £26.99 at Gadgets to Buy, and a pair of Knog Skinks for the rear at £19.96, so with the Cateye cordless speedo, a ton with P&P. A couple of Klickfix bottle cages and that should be about it. I have spare innertubes, tempted by the Topeak vertical saddle bags and another Alien tool.

Got a mid sized Topeak "Wedge" for my road bike - excellent bit of kit.

If anyone wants a bit more light power, the Cateye LD610 is utterly brilliant and about £20. I do a lot of night riding in hideous conditions and it simply goes on and on. And the batteries last forever. It's also about the brightest rear light you can buy.

For the front, I recently bought my wife a "Moon" (Raleigh) X-Power 500. I'm a bit geeky on lights and this is superb. 500 lumens (not far off a car light), 2.5 hours on full blast, USB rechargeable and completely bombproof. Also comes with helmet mount (I use it along with a bar light when night MTBing) and weighs very little:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/moon-x-power-50 ... ront-light

Best light I've used in years.

Mine is 1700 lumens (far more than a car light on main beam) but it's a bulky thing and over £300.

My essentials have been:

1) 25m hook up lead
2) Euro adaptor plug
3) Floor mats
4) Waterproof dog bed
5) Multi tool
6) Handpresso Wild coffee maker (!)
7) Decent sleeping bags x4

Will come up with more after our first camp this weekend!

KernowLad said:
Will come up with more after our first camp this weekend!

You have no idea how true that is! We left here making a list. Shopped; set up; made another list...... shopped; eBayed...... and it still isn't finished!!

We caravanned for around 18 years and never finished the "list"!!

Ewan said:
Hi Isa,

Yes you'll need two. One's not wide enough although you'll find that two are just a little too wide downstairs (the upstairs bed is wider). Don't worry - they 'curve up' slightly at the edges so they fit neatly side by side.

Some people ask Raskelf to trim them to fit the Cali using their template. However we mix and match our four depending on sleeping arrangements so unless you're always going to sleep on the same side I wouldn't recommend this.

Duvalays are the best buy we've made for our Cali - really comfy. The kids even lie in With them (unknown at home !).

Hi,
We have just upgraded from T4 Westfalia to T5 Cali, and have had 2 duvalays for years (the kids have normal sleeping bags at the moment, don't seem to find beds uncomfortable at all!). Just wondering where you store 4 duvalays - they're huge when rolled up. Is there space to store them all flat in the T5 roof? They didn't fit in the T4 roof when the roof was down. I don't want to try it and break the mechanism!

They won't fit in a Cali roof space. There is just enough room for the matress. As this is a two piece, if it slips and doubles up the roof won't sit back down properly....well ours didn't!