Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The first Picture...pick up day!!

Then here is a
Whoop Whoop :pinkbanana To be going on with.

I saw a nice dash cam in their show room from Kenwood. Small and neat...I have no idea how it performs though, is that what you've gone for?
I've gone for a blackvue and the detailer is also a car audio/ electrical guy by trade. So fingers crossed I'll have it all nicely sorted before I pick up.

Hi everyone.
A familiar theme in the 'My VW California' section I know.
But here is the first Pic from pick up day :thumb
Fairly Modestly spec'd
150 DSG
Mojave Bie
Mojave Bi
Mojave B
The bronzey sort of colour :headbang
Parking sensors and reversing camera
Comfort Mattress
Heated front screen
6.33" Composition media with App connect
Privacy glass
Black awning housing
T6 bike rack (boxed, not fitted)
A great drive home albeit it a longer day than expected.

Thanks for putting up with me :cheers

View attachment 28194
Congratulations, it looks great!

Some observations and feelings of magic so far.

In the UK, all derivatives of the transporter are common place on our roads with many panel & window vans having been converted by enthusiasts and profiting businesses alike.
As a commuter myself staring at other traffic on a daily basis, the VW stands out as the converters number 1 choice beyond question. A testament to VW and a testament to the California it’s self.
Smart looking conversions dripping in costly accessories in their plenty prove the undeniable appeal of the VW over the competition.
Then just occasionally, one of the herd will be a genuine California. With it’s roots stemming from the ever popular air cooled, split screen campers the legend lives on. Upon catching sight of this it’s clear that from the most basic understated version of the build to the latest two-tone, 204, 4-motion version loaded with accessories it is the subject of envy for many a commuter.
They have evolved gracefully and subtly since VW took over their own build from westfalia and the honing continues quite purposefully inside and out to the T6 I have laid my hands on.

So that is one way they catch the imagination and in my case I began to sell myself the dream that it will support a couple of my hobbies, taking me running and cycling across the country as well as family week ends in the UK and holidays here and abroad and remain my daily commute. Job done!
The weather has been appalling since my pick up and as much as I want to get in and go, I am held back by it (amongst other things). I intend to use it rain come shine once blooded in but for sure I’m guilty of wanting to preserve it’s ‘newness’ through it’s first bleak winter.
The exterior has class the interior has it too plus the “je nais sais quoi” unmatched by expensive interiors on conversions. I think that might be down to it is homogenous build inside and out, front to back.

Of course there are some cons. I’m really not looking forward to the possibility of conceding that the galvanic corrosion of the roof my not have been been prevented. I know that some of the kitchen and living area bits tend to fall off and it’s not big enough to have a shower and toilet. Add in the fact that it’s too easy to catch the canvas roof in the scissors and even distort the roof and you can see its not the perfect vehicle especially at the price.

But …..
The short falls are massively out weighed by the great stuff and the level of enjoyment I’m expecting to get from it. From the driving seat of the afore mentioned subject of envy, I feel the luckiest I have since buying my first car after passing my test many years ago. Swivel the seats round to relax in my very own slice of luxury on the move, pop the top, heat or cool the inside as required, shut the world out or let it in and move on when ever you want. Blending in to any traffic situation and parking space, going almost anywhere a small car can go its versatility will apply to many of its competitors…but wait. Until the Marco Polo there was no factory competition and lets face it, they have simply taken the California and tried to match it. A further testament to it and the early westfalia beginnings. May be it’s just me but I don’t see innovation from Mercedes.

For 2 adults, a pre teenage child and a medium sized dog it’s clear already it has no trouble accommodating our needs as a commuter, taxi and week end getaway vehicle all in one. The 150PS DSG is more than adequate, returning 41mpg on a journey my Evoque struggled to match retuning closer to 39mpg. It’s so much quieter in the cab than the Well house ford terrier I tried. It’s a great drive and I’m impressed with the turning circle too. The things included as standard are pretty impressive if you read down the whole list. So it’s a shame that things like LED front lights break some peoples budget and niggly that parking sensors and awning aren’t standard. But you have to draw the line somewhere and evolution on the MY18 is a bumper crop as standard. Most noticeably the additional interior lights and their styling is great, the split top over the sink and burners works nicely and the comfort dash feels more premium to me. The exterior lines update the look nicely too.

I do finish of with a couple of wishes though. With some features, I guess you can’t have your cake and eat it.

I wish the parking brake was automatic.

I wish there was a start button instead of physical key stater.

The drinks holder in the dash tucks neatly away but in use it’s an ugly shaky affair that needs to be better designed.

The need to open the passenger door to refuel leaves me scratching my head at the concept. Any low life stealing your fuel would prise that out of the way without giving a hoot about ruining the bodywork.

But over all I’m happy with the purchasing decision.
Relaxed in the feeling that:
A California is the place for me to be.

Last edited:
Posts like this really don't make the wait for mine any easier! Hopefully it hatched last week...

Happy that you're enjoying your lovely new toy. Agree that some of the options really ought to be standard on such an expensive car/van/home/base of operations!

In my haste to type it all before I forgot, I omitted to mention that this is the view of a light weight.
As there are of course many on here who practically live in their Cali and take them beyond the more fickle points I mention and seriously put them to the test.
And Well... they still come back for more. Ew? was that another testament?

Funny, at fuelling the Bus up tonight I thought: what a clever design that fuel-cover-thingy is. But I got a left side steering wheel. I guess that means a huge difference.
Liked reading your thoughts though. Enjoy your lovely van!

Hi everyone.
A familiar theme in the 'My VW California' section I know.
But here is the first Pic from pick up day :thumb
Fairly Modestly spec'd
150 DSG
Mojave Bie
Mojave Bi
Mojave B
The bronzey sort of colour :headbang
Parking sensors and reversing camera
Comfort Mattress
Heated front screen
6.33" Composition media with App connect
Privacy glass
Black awning housing
T6 bike rack (boxed, not fitted)
A great drive home albeit it a longer day than expected.

Thanks for putting up with me :cheers

View attachment 28194

Freedom man, sglooks gorgeous. I now dont stop at every VW garage as I pass so havent seen the new interior lights..... can we have a photograph? Please? ENJOY

Funny, at fuelling the Bus up tonight I thought: what a clever design that fuel-cover-thingy is. But I got a left side steering wheel. I guess that means a huge difference.
Liked reading your thoughts though. Enjoy your lovely van!
That might be something to do with it and I agree it looks neat. Just a pain to open the drivers door for the flimsy tab trapped behind it. Anyway we are all different.

Last edited:
Freedom man, sglooks gorgeous. I now dont stop at every VW garage as I pass so havent seen the new interior lights..... can we have a photograph? Please? ENJOY

Take a look here at a post from
@Pete_Hampton
Its a better pic than my skills have been able to get yet.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...fornia-reaches-build.21651/page-8#post-251998

Thats the strip lighting but there are also LED lights in the cupboard, in the tail gate and each side or the roof instead of the flexible reading light. All except (and may be even) the lights inside the cupboard are dim-able.

Looks great @2020freedom

We've gone for the Mojave "bronze" as well, build date next week (51)!!

Still can't seem to find out how long it's going to be until delivery though, how long was your wait from build date in the end?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Looks great @2020freedom

We've gone for the Mojave "bronze" as well, build date next week (51)!!

Still can't seem to find out how long it's going to be until delivery though, how long was your wait from build date in the end?

Oh hang on, have just found your hyper stalkers thread with your very detailed timeline.... I'm off to speak to Ismail!

Are you going to see if you can better his 67 day 'record'?
Day 49.... But we're not counting! We're really hoping it comes in March, but equally we want it tomorrow... How's it going with yours now @Pete_Hampton? How long have you had it?

And dont forget to bookmark the link to track the ship as it crosses the channel :)

Oh hang on, have just found your hyper stalkers thread with your very detailed timeline.... I'm off to speak to Ismail!

Great colour ! We collected our beach from Tonbridge on 1st December. Laine was fantastic. Currently enjoying ourselves in Germany after a very long wait for ours to be ready.

While my T6 was bought to be my main mode of transport for commuting to work as well as pleasure, I have been able to limit the mileage by pinching the other halfs car :D.
Today I reached 2000 miles on the clock as I pulled up onto the drive.
That works out at one 'cup of tea stop' per 1000 miles so far and no sleeps yet.

But that is all about to change at last and we are off for a whistle stop tour through Somerset, Devon, Cornwall and Dorset this Easter.
:cheers

Last edited:
Do have a great inaugural tour with Kylie, and with your family plus your pooch of course. An excellent part of the world to tour with plenty of, very, narrow lanes and, very, steep gradients to put the DSG through its paces.

I was trying to think of what vital gadget, gizmo or ingredient to remind you not to forget to pack, but I suspect you have prepared a comprehensive checklist. So seeing as it's a seasonal tour, don't forget the Easter Eggs!

We expect a full report on your return...

Back