Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The fitting of Bilstein coil overs and H,R anti roll bars.

frenchie

frenchie

Vehicle
Just browsing
Yesterday I took the long drive to Vanstyle Ltd to have the Bilstein coil over and up rated anti roll bars fitted. Anyone who thinks that the suspension Vw fitted as standard is ok need read know more. Anyone who like me thinks the van rolls around in an uncomfortable manor please read on. I got to Vanstyle at 9 and a cup of tea was on offer so that was good. However having to listen to radio 1 blasting out in reception was not good at any level. On the drive up, the van rolled around and pitched up and down on braking and was always uneasy with itself. After 6 or so hours of hanging around the van was ready. I wish they had put two men on the job. So it was time to take the 4 hour drive back home.so how did the van feel. Well I am happy to say it rode very well. Gone was the pitching on braking, gone was the rolling around and the van had the feeling of being planted more on the road. A very big improvement to be sure. Today I had the tracking done and now all is set for my next trip this time Austria, not Germany.can't say I am looking forward too much to long drives these days and retirement is round the corner thank god, but at if I must do these things I think it better with the upgraded suspension then not. F

They changed all of your suspension and sent you off without tracking it?

Wow!

Surely you’re not surprised at the improvement? The Cali is just a commercial van after all.

The suspension needs to bed in for a few hundred miles before tracking. As to being surprised at the improvement. Well I was more surprised at the poor body control as standard on a very expensive van.F

The suspension needs to bed in for a few hundred miles before tracking. As to being surprised at the improvement. Well I was more surprised at the poor body control as standard on a very expensive van.F
Seeing as according to your Avatar/Details you are “Just Browsing “ we have absolutely no idea which vehicle you are talking about.
Is it a 15 yr old T4 with tired suspension or a 2WD Beach unloaded?

Its a 2017 T6 ocean 204 dsg. As I have stated in a few of posts, some of which you have posted in. F

Its a 2017 T6 ocean 204 dsg. As I have stated in a few of posts, some of which you have posted in. F
Just asking. Certainly not going to research All your posts to find out which vehicle you have if you don’t wish to post your vehicle details.

Don't get snapping with me. If you don't like what I post, don't read it ok, good sorted. F

Makes sense

Glad you like your b14s if I was brave enough to have them fitted I would but warranty rules!!!!!
I had the b14s on my Kombi and there fantastic ...enjoy
(Any pictures)

OK is it just me? I know its a van. I understand that but I cant relate to the rolling about and all that stuff. Is it just I drive too slow? I have done around 20,000 miles since June, been to Spain in her.... What am I missing... I got the headlight issue in the end now addressed that but the ride is OK and remember I came out of a Range Rover with amazing seats etc.... educate me please?

Don't get snapping with me. If you don't like what I post, don't read it ok, good sorted. F
Touchy, I wonder why.
Anyway, thanks for enlightening me as to which vehicle you drive.
Oh and I never said I don’t like what you post. Some of it is quit informative and is even more informative when you know which vehicle it is related to.

Cheerio.

I would love to have a set of these fitted but can't quite find the money. The ride is far too soft and wallowy and that's after I have had the 30mm lowering springs fitted.

I would love to have a set of these fitted but can't quite find the money. The ride is far too soft and wallowy and that's after I have had the 30mm lowering springs fitted.

Unless they’re stiffer then shorter (lowered) springs will alter nothing but ride height.

OK is it just me? I know its a van. I understand that but I cant relate to the rolling about and all that stuff. Is it just I drive too slow? I have done around 20,000 miles since June, been to Spain in her.... What am I missing... I got the headlight issue in the end now addressed that but the ride is OK and remember I came out of a Range Rover with amazing seats etc.... educate me please?
Apparently some like to overtake on roundabouts and slowing for bends is for wimps.

Well yes but there is always room for improvement over an OEM setup.

Admittedly tuning a Cali suspension is a bit like turd polishing. That said I’ve managed a decent sheen on the odd turd in the past.

Unless they’re stiffer then shorter (lowered) springs will alter nothing but ride height.

Yes they are shorter and stiffer. I would expect they would reduce roll due to being harder to compress but still too wallowy for me.

Yes they are shorter and stiffer. I would expect they would reduce roll due to being harder to compress but still too wallowy for me.
Well a stiffer AR bar then but you run the risk of inducing under steer/over steer.

Well a stiffer AR bar then but you run the risk of inducing under steer/over steer.
If the ARBs are too stiff the van will start to lift the outer rear wheel when cornering hard, "three wheels on my wagon......".

I think your lateral grip will give up before that happens.

Fitting lowering springs (VW Sport line) indeed does improve the roll and wallow of the bus and in my eyes looks slightly better..........with larger than 16” Wheels

IMO The wallowy feel is 100% down to the woefully underrated (T5) std shocks/dampers. Fitting new uprated/HD rear shocks from Sachs, Bilstein or Pedders will give you the the best improvement in ride per £ spent if wallowy is your problem. For the sake of around £120 plus 1/2 hours labour to fit it's a no brainer transformation. I have changed every suspension component one by one both front and rear and without doubt shocks make the most difference to stability, comfort and confidence in the ride. Happy to give you part numbers if needed. Changing rears is 75% of total improvement and may be enough. If you're a driver then may feel need to do fronts as well but more costly ~ £380 inc alinement etc.

IMO The wallowy feel is 100% down to the woefully underrated (T5) std shocks/dampers. Fitting new uprated/HD rear shocks from Sachs, Bilstein or Pedders will give you the the best improvement in ride per £ spent if wallowy is your problem. For the sake of around £120 plus 1/2 hours labour to fit it's a no brainer transformation. I have changed every suspension component one by one both front and rear and without doubt shocks make the most difference to stability, comfort and confidence in the ride. Happy to give you part numbers if needed. Changing rears is 75% of total improvement and may be enough. If you're a driver then may feel need to do fronts as well but more costly ~ £380 inc alinement etc.

Skewif, I’d be interested in new rear shocks for my 2014 SE, which is not lowered as far as I know. What are the part numbers?
Rupert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skewif, I’d be interested in new rear shocks for my 2014 SE, which is not lowered as far as I know. What are the part numbers?
Rupert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well.... Most popular rear HD/comfort upgrades seem to be:
Bilstein B6 ~ £300. Very pricy but well known/popular brand. Many good reviews.
Sachs part no. 314 725 ~£120. VW fit these HD dampers as a Cali option for rough road in some countries. Have got many good reviews on German forums and several members here have them fitted with good results.
Pedders ~£120. Virtually unknown (here) Australian brand. I fitted these rears to otherwise totally standard suspension (around 60k miles) and they massively improved ride removing the wollowy, bouncy and boat like feel. I dare say the others will give very similar results.

Might be best to go with the Sachs as a std OEM part and good reviews.

Hope that helps and would love to hear about the difference if you change them..

Just an update. At the moment I am stuck in freezing Vienna. Work as been stopped so it’s to the many museums for me. As to the suspension.The current setup is 18Inch sport lines fitted with uniroyal rain Masters. Billstein coil overs and H&R anti roll bars. The van is lower and I would take a picture if I knew how. I drive fast, and many of you will know that a few Germany roads are full of HGV,s in one line and big BMW,s in the other. So as I am not on holiday and need to push on, good suspension was a must. And I must say that I am very happy with the set up. The high centre of gravity of the van is much better controlled and the rolling around corners is a thing of the past. Worth the money in a word YES. I now need to look into better interior lights. F

Back