Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

the fridge.......

daisyduke

daisyduke

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
before i take it back to dealer i have read threads on this issue and checked battery status is fine- with or without hook up. Amber light comes on...so should be working, trip switches fuse etc not gone. I've held the quick start menu button down to restart menu and reboot it but still fridge not getting cold. Had it turned up to max and on low but still not working . I can hear it kick in/start but not cold.

Any other ideas or things to try before going to dealer with issue and they waste lots of time scratching their heads :)

New 2015 cali with less than 1,000 on clock and just got back from first 'trip' where had curdled milk etc :(

i also find i need to bump/ push down on fridge to make sure clicks closed- should it not just close without the extra help?

thanks in advance for any info /advice :)

If you tried on hook-up and reseting the control panel ect.... it could well be a major electrical issue , not good ...think it's best to the dealer...have you got warrenty?

As for the lid closure , some have the same issue's , as me also , give it a tap on the top afther closure.
Read this
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/fridge-catch-latch-operation.6774/
You can use some sandingpaper to scrape the edge off from the plastic clip.

Last edited:
thanks just got into the diagnostic menu and says no error :( so no apparent reason for not working still......after another reboot got it on again and see if any change before making the call. Thanks for help guys. Thankfully warranty good till next August :)

Have you ever put a thermometer in the fridge?
Put it on max (7, I think) and see if the temp goes down.
Cold ambiante temperatures can confuse frdges and for that matter freezers.

thanks yes thermometer is in and not going into blue area at all sadly- thought things looked promising this morning but after being on max all day and heard it start up its not even cold :( just booked it in with service dept but earliest appointment is 15th march! not good as planning more trips so will be without use of fridge. will be using ice packs like in a cool box as better than nothing but given the expense of a cali pretty poor show and takes shine of all the lovely bits.....wont stop me enjoying it though :)

...are you saying it starts up ( clicking noise)but do not gets cold?
Could be the fluid level is to low , these systems can be refilled .
As it is pretty new to me would be rare but you never now , a leak....

Do you hear noise a bit like running water from under the fridge ?
Need to listen carefully!
Stick your head in the left side of the wardrobe under the coocker
Pull out the round plastic caps.
Is the fridge engine hot or cold underneeth there?

yes i can hear it start up but never goes cold......its brand new van only had 180 miles on clock when picked it up......will check other ideas you've suggested in daylight
thanks :) would be good to fix myself ( with the help) as then know for future but even better means sorted :)

My fridge doesn't work properly either but it because of the cold ambient temperature. The fridge won't cool if it is already cold. I discovered this on a recent trip, when the weather was warmer with a day time temp of 10 degrees the fridge worked just fine.

Last edited:
My fridge doesn't work properly either but it because of the cold ambient temperature. The fridge won't cool if it is already cold. I discovered this on a recent trip, when the weather was warmer with a day time temp of 10 degrees the fridge worked just fine.
I have exactly the same problem with the ambient disabling the fridge from cooling. I have spoken to other members about this at COTF but most haven't noticed. I find it worse in the mornings when the outside temperature drops overnight. I ended up installing an additional temperature controller to overcome this.https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/faulty-fridge-do-not-worry.4611/page-3#post-63155

This is an interesting thread. I was hoping to test my fridge before my first trip this week - but the ambient temperature in the north east is pretty low at the moment.
Any other tips or am I just going to have to trust in VW that it works and hope my food for a few days will be fine when I get south... and the wine is ready to serve... :Nailbiting

Set it to a temp lower than ambient? Or is that too obvious?

There are some who have experienced on their T5's that when realy cold outside themp. their fridge not kicks in becouse the cold packing up under the cupboards and the fridge thermostat sensing it is cold enough , did not experienced this my self.
You could turn on the aux. heater making the Cali a sauna and then test the fridge....:D

This is an interesting thread. I was hoping to test my fridge before my first trip this week - but the ambient temperature in the north east is pretty low at the moment.
Any other tips or am I just going to have to trust in VW that it works and hope my food for a few days will be fine when I get south... and the wine is ready to serve... :Nailbiting

I've been testing my fridge with a wireless thermometer for most of my trips. Staying in Snowdonia it has been cold outside and it did seem that the fridge never came on. But the milk, and wine, was always cold. Sometimes the fridge was warmer than the outside air temperature. Fridge +5C outside +4C. I assume it is set to a compromise between being on all the time and good battery life. I turned it up from 4 to 5, which is one below Max, and it seemed a bit better.
There is usually moisture on the inside back of the fridge where it is nearest to the outside, but occasionally that is ice, for a short time.
I've not had any hot weather to test it properly and am used to a gas camping fridge which was brilliant, consumed very little gas, and took the temperature well down if you wanted it to.
I put ice packs in when I leave on a trip to help cool it and hope the fridge takes over as they warm up.
Simon

I ran my heater for two days whilst external temperatures never got over 3 degrees C and the fridge would only run if set to max but then it started to freeze. What I did was set to max for 4 hours then turn off for 6 - 8 hours and then repeat this kept the fridge at between 2 and 5 degrees which kept the milk fresh and if the milks fresh everything else is okay too.

...are you saying it starts up ( clicking noise)but do not gets cold?
Could be the fluid level is to low , these systems can be refilled .
As it is pretty new to me would be rare but you never now , a leak....

Do you hear noise a bit like running water from under the fridge ?
Need to listen carefully!
Stick your head in the left side of the wardrobe under the coocker
Pull out the round plastic caps.
Is the fridge engine hot or cold underneeth there?
finally had a chance to be in van with quite and listen- it clicks on and can hear motor on but it's quite ( good thing). no sound of running/leaking fluids. Ambient temp is 6.5 and fridge is below that going into cold so is working but has been on now for well over two hours and is still barely cool not cold and definitely not close to freezing at the bottom. Last week was first time been used for any time other than a demo if ever before. could it be just needs 'running in' ? i'd not expect to do this as don't with a household item but this is different as moves around so presume is slightly different to a household appliance. How long does it take to become chilled? or the bottom get so cold freezing level. I appreciate ambient temp can effect it but surely VW have some kind of 'safe guard'....... last week was cold but to have curled milk in my fridge can't be right when its on and van been heated constantly which common sense says to me means room temp very comfortable therefore fridge should be cold?

I ran my heater for two days whilst external temperatures never got over 3 degrees C and the fridge would only run if set to max but then it started to freeze. What I did was set to max for 4 hours then turn off for 6 - 8 hours and then repeat this kept the fridge at between 2 and 5 degrees which kept the milk fresh and if the milks fresh everything else is okay too.
mine was set to max and never got even cold with cool temp outside last week.....:( might try your plan but mine has never managed cold let alone freeze even on max for ages both hook up and driving and van kept warm inside......feels like something isn't quite right.

It does sound like its not working, the side of the fridge closest to the outside of the van is the first bit to get cold, this should be noticeable within 20 mins. If the relay is clicking it should be working. Does your local dealer have a California in? Can you take yours in and compare operation times with their showroom or demo van?

It does sound like its not working, the side of the fridge closest to the outside of the van is the first bit to get cold, this should be noticeable within 20 mins. If the relay is clicking it should be working. Does your local dealer have a California in? Can you take yours in and compare operation times with their showroom or demo van?
not sure if they have another in- they don't sell many at my local dealership but do have an appointment to see service centre a week Tuesday......might just show up tomorrow and get them to show me on their demo model as comparison- good idea. thanks :)

What do the level settings on the control panel relate to in terms of fridge temp?
Similar to your domestic fridge. 1 - the fridge does less work (warmer) to 7 - fridge works hard to lower temp (coldest). Obviously like at home depending on temperature of your house the settings need to be tweaked throughout the year.
I bought a hanging thermometer to give a visual indication

so fridge story continues- after using like a cool box with ice packs on last trip which was around Wales finally at dealership and yes not working as it should was diagnosed so at least i hadn't not done something right which was a relief. They reckon either a temp sensor gone or complete new fridge unit to fit under warranty. will hear next week which then await it actually being sorted. Lost a potential hire booking as was honest about fridge not working as it should and they went else where- fair enough but gutted as could have been the start to my season.
it seem to me a real pig to replace the fridge? anyone else had this done......does the rest of the van have to come out to get to it? is my brand new interior about to get messed up :(

so fridge story continues- after using like a cool box with ice packs on last trip which was around Wales finally at dealership and yes not working as it should was diagnosed so at least i hadn't not done something right which was a relief. They reckon either a temp sensor gone or complete new fridge unit to fit under warranty. will hear next week which then await it actually being sorted. Lost a potential hire booking as was honest about fridge not working as it should and they went else where- fair enough but gutted as could have been the start to my season.
it seem to me a real pig to replace the fridge? anyone else had this done......does the rest of the van have to come out to get to it? is my brand new interior about to get messed up :(

The fridge lifts out from above , if dealer is qualified should not be to much work ...
Think some screws under seal and some in wardrobe under the coocker.

No. Lid removed and wiring unplugged below, side panel in L kitchen cupboard. Fridge then lifted upwards. Not a difficult job for someone who knows what they are doing.

Back