Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The hunt for a dealer

dayslikethis

dayslikethis

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
OK here's the issue. My home is in the UK but I'm currently working abroad for a couple of years outside the EU. I want to buy a UK high spec Cali from the UK and export. Keeping it outside the UK for 6 months or more avoids VAT of course. I will bring it back in when I return (touring along the way of course)I had an initial attractive quote from a VW Dealer who unfortunately through matters out of his control was unable to supply. I'm now looking for a UK Cali dealer who can provide me with this service. I've spoken to three so far who have not followed through as the paperwork involved seems to put them off. If anyone knows of a dealer who is familiar with this process I'd be grateful.

Give me a call on Monday, I know a dealer who can do this for you :thumb

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
Give me a call on Monday, I know a dealer who can do this for you :thumb

Will do - thank you very much

I've bought a Beach VAT free I'm taking to New Zealand. I can use it up to six months in the UK.

Vat Form 410 is what I used. http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/forms/view.page?record=pEltSCr_Nuk&formId=5209

Rules are complicated depending on where you resident and whether you are in or outside the UK/EU. There is plenty of info on the HMRC website and I spoke with the HMRC VAT unit in Dover.

Dealers are not that familiar with this and one wanted to charge me the VAT and then refund it when it was registered in the destination country.

I bought my Beach from Donnelly Bros in Dungannon NI. Give Mark Charles a call as he did my paperwork. Make sure you put any accessories on at the same time.

Andy

Goldie said:
I've bought a Beach VAT free I'm taking to New Zealand. I can use it up to six months in the UK.

Vat Form 410 is what I used. http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/forms/view.page?record=pEltSCr_Nuk&formId=5209

Rules are complicated depending on where you resident and whether you are in or outside the UK/EU. There is plenty of info on the HMRC website and I spoke with the HMRC VAT unit in Dover.

Dealers are not that familiar with this and one wanted to charge me the VAT and then refund it when it was registered in the destination country.

I bought my Beach from Donnelly Bros in Dungannon NI. Give Mark Charles a call as he did my paperwork. Make sure you put any accessories on at the same time.

Andy
Many thanks for this - I am outside EU and would be foolish not to take advantage of this. Thanks for the HMRC link. I won't be able to register here in Balkans as it will be a rHD however I can put it on temp plates apparently.
Using this site has shortened the grief from e mails and ring arounds whilst abroad.Many thanks!

I forgot to add, it does not have to be new but 'VAT qualifying'. This includes most of the demonstrators you see on the VW UK site and Autotrader.

Get yourself a bargain and then knock the 20% VAT off :upsidedown

Just be careful that you won't have to pay any import duty in the destination country. I still have to pay tax in NZ, but it is 15% and the vehicle is depreciated by around 30% as I will have had it more than 6 months when it arrives there.

Andy

Goldie said:
I forgot to add, it does not have to be new but 'VAT qualifying'. This includes most of the demonstrators you see on the VW UK site and Autotrader.

Get yourself a bargain and then knock the 20% VAT off :upsidedown

Just be careful that you won't have to pay any import duty in the destination country. I still have to pay tax in NZ, but it is 15% and the vehicle is depreciated by around 30% as I will have had it more than 6 months when it arrives there.

Andy
Good point thanks

The deal is done and thanks to Oli Hicklin at Bognor Motors Vehicle Solutions for stepping in and solving my problem.

Ordered a sand beige 180PS DSG 4Motion with quite a few extras. On delivery (next year) I will be driving to the Balkans.....watch this space!!!! :clap

Was a pleasure, and good colour choice :thumb

Back