Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The mattress topper debate

Tigger

Tigger

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi all,

We're about to take possession of an ex demo T6 Ocean which does not have a comfort mattress. I have previously slept (downstairs) on a VW T5 comfort mattress and would have liked a bit more comfort given the space it takes up! We're planning to go away for a good few weeks a couple of weeks after getting it so need to get this stuff sorted asap.

I've looked at the options that have previously been discussed and am finding it really hard to reach a conclusion! All advice gratefully received.
Zonesleep - does this really smooth out the seat belts etc, is it enough? Like the idea of it being cool.
Duvalay mattress - seems quite good, but takes up a lot of space when stored - how much? We're likely to have a dog sleeping on the parcel shelf and another on the back seat so space is (as always) at a premium.
Memory foam from comfortz - my nearest and dearest is a hot sleeper, so I think this could be a problem.
Duvalay sleeping bag/topper - looks too bulky.

For upstairs I'm clear that a zonesleep would be a good idea, followed potentially by a 1" memory foam from Comfortz if we still need more but this is less urgent as upstairs was ok as is!

We're still debating what bedding to use. A double duvet took up loads of space during the day and didn't work that well when we slept one up, one down!!

Thanks all
Tigs

p.s. instead of storing a mattress topper on the rear shelf, does it work moving the bench seat slightly forward and storing the topper on its end in front of the wire shelf? Thinking of dog space..... 30Kg + 25 Kg of dog space, think labrador sized.

Hi all,

We're about to take possession of an ex demo T6 Ocean which does not have a comfort mattress. I have previously slept (downstairs) on a VW T5 comfort mattress and would have liked a bit more comfort given the space it takes up! We're planning to go away for a good few weeks a couple of weeks after getting it so need to get this stuff sorted asap.

I've looked at the options that have previously been discussed and am finding it really hard to reach a conclusion! All advice gratefully received.
Zonesleep - does this really smooth out the seat belts etc, is it enough? Like the idea of it being cool.
Duvalay mattress - seems quite good, but takes up a lot of space when stored - how much? We're likely to have a dog sleeping on the parcel shelf and another on the back seat so space is (as always) at a premium.
Memory foam from comfortz - my nearest and dearest is a hot sleeper, so I think this could be a problem.

For upstairs I'm clear that a zonesleep would be a good idea, followed potentially by a 1" memory foam from Comfortz if we still need more but this is less urgent as upstairs was ok as is!

We're still debating what bedding to use. A double duvet took up loads of space during the day and didn't work that well when we slept one up, one down!!

Thanks all
Tigs

p.s. instead of storing a mattress topper on the rear shelf, does it work moving the bench seat slightly forward and storing the topper on its end in front of the wire shelf? Thinking of dog space..... 30Kg + 25 Kg of dog space, think labrador sized.
Hi, not a mattress answer but we are using 2 single duvets, with pillows, put them in the vacuum storage bags and they disappear in to inch thick parcels. We have the ones that you can roll to squeeze the air out for the homeward journey. Hope that's helpful.

I have IKEA duvets from years ago that squeeze into nothing - even without vacuum doobrey whatsit. They then store in ebags at the bottom of the wardrobe.
If your wife gets hot (I struggle with the same thing) then duvet probably better than duvalet (synthetic?).
Upstairs I have zone sleep topper with Comfortz 1" mattress underneath so I can close the roof. I also have a zone sleep for downstairs for when weather is bad or I'm feeling lazy. (and had no issue with seat belts, just a gorgeous loving cuddly dog that would NOT get off my feet all night...).
When travelling the zone sleep for downstairs is on the 'parcel shelf' or passenger footwell (no passengers...)

I have a VW comfort mattress, requires the rear parcel shelf on lower setting, no good.

An aerobed inflatable, takes up no room, rear shelf on higher setting.

A zonesleep, did nothing for me

Cannot live with sleeping bags or duvalays

Hi,

Thanks all and great to "meet you" .

AlisonF - know what you mean about the cuddly dog feature, our Vizsla just wanted to be under my sleeping bag with me, it was a bit chilly for him. And the other one sleeps fully stretched out like a kangaroo! How much space do the zonesleep need?

Grannyjen - thanks, is the aerobed one of those 1" or so self inflating jobs? Or did it need a pump and more like 4" thick.

And finally, the vacuum bag, what do you use to suck the air out?

Cheers all.

We have a Zonesleep for on top off the downstairs VW Comfort mattress and 2 single Duvelay matress and quit combo's, you don't get much space left once you've go 2 of those on the back shelf!
A note about the Duvelays, we had to trim 60mm from the width of the foam and re-sew the covers so they would fit upstairs.

Hi,

AlisonF - know what you mean about the cuddly dog feature, our Vizsla just wanted to be under my sleeping bag with me, it was a bit chilly for him. And the other one sleeps fully stretched out like a kangaroo! How much space do the zonesleep need?

Grannyjen - thanks, is the aerobed one of those 1" or so self inflating jobs? Or did it need a pump and more like 4" thick.

Cheers all

It comes with a pump and a 12v connection that inflates it to about 6" in less than a minute, around 30 seconds at most.

The simplest combo that I have used is comfort mattress and sleeping bag. Two minutes to pull the comfort mattress from back shelf and to throw the sleeping bag on top but after 40 years of camping with sleeping bags I've decided that my home on wheels can do with a bit of luxury :D

I want a duvet, sheets and something to snuggle under, not wrap myself in knots with.

If I could get a fitted sheet for the comfort mattress I may think again.

How much space do the zonesleep need?

Folded down the middle and rolled up quite loosely mine is 45cm diameter and 55cm long. The bag that comes with it is pretty big allowing it to loosen up a bit, so with some straps around it you could probably make it a tad smaller. So not particularly small but well worth finding space for if you want a good night's sleep in my view.
Hope this helps.

Hi,

Cheers all.
Vacuum bag answer, we do have a mini vacuum for the Cali, runs from the 12v socket, however we also have some bags that you simply push the air out of the one way valve, easiest achieved by rolling from the bottom towards the valve. They don't shrink as much as when using the Hoover, but they are still compact. 2 duvets, and 2 pillows, into the bag that one pillow came out of. And they do fluff up nicely once released!

Vacuum bag answer, we do have a mini vacuum for the Cali, runs from the 12v socket, however we also have some bags that you simply push the air out of the one way valve, easiest achieved by rolling from the bottom towards the valve. They don't shrink as much as when using the Hoover, but they are still compact. 2 duvets, and 2 pillows, into the bag that one pillow came out of. And they do fluff up nicely once released!
Ooh, who makes those?

Hi
DIBAG ®- Pack of 4 - 2 XXL Vacuum Storage Bag (100×80 cm) with Suction/Valve + 2 Large Roll-Up Travel Bag (57×45 cm) Without Suction or Valve.

by DIBAG
We use these bags when we hired a cali for the duvet , pillows.
Small bags use when flying to reduce size of clothes especially ski gear.
We don't use vacuum, we just roll the air as described above.

As above.

Excellent spacesavers

We travel with 6 dogs and parcel shelf is pe
Hi all,

Thanks all
Tigs

Man

We travel with 6 dogs and Lintran crate permanently on parcel shelf. At might two working cockers in Lintran, Kerry Blue on floor by bench seat, two terriers on front seats and the little dragon up top with us. We started out in mid March to travel to Spain and I put a jersey flannel fitted sheet on mattress and jersey flannel duvet cover on 1tog duvet (suffer from heat too). It was cold, but aux heater brilliant on setting 1. We are ok on mattress as is, but I had two 3mm steamer lounge cover sowen together for a bit extra. Hell of a lot cheaper! I stuff pillows and duvet in sucky bags and suck them with Dyson hand held vaccum. They then fit nicely on bench seat. Working cockers and Kerry in Lintran, two terriers in Solvit hanging dog baskets on bench seat and one hanging from back of driver's seat for little dragon. It works for us.

I have a VW comfort mattress, requires the rear parcel shelf on lower setting, no good.

An aerobed inflatable, takes up no room, rear shelf on higher setting.

A zonesleep, did nothing for me

Cannot live with sleeping bags or duvalays

Would you reccomend buying the comfort mattress from VW? £234 with VAT I think!

Would you reccomend buying the comfort mattress from VW? £234 with VAT I think!

It is a neat solution and folds up neatly on the rear shelf but it does mean having that shelf on the lower setting losing boot room.

There are other alternatives that allow the shelf to be kept on the higher setting such as the comfortz topper, zonesleep etc.

My experiment with air beds is over after to deflating moments! They are not robust enough snd quite cold to sleep on.

It is a neat solution and folds up neatly on the rear shelf but it does mean having that shelf on the lower setting losing boot room.

There are other alternatives that allow the shelf to be kept on the higher setting such as the comfortz topper, zonesleep etc.

My experiment with air beds is over after to deflating moments! They are not robust enough snd quite cold to sleep on.[/QUO

My experiment with air beds is over after to deflating moments! They are not robust enough snd quite cold to sleep on.
thanks X

Hi all,

Thanks all
Tigs

I've just posted a review about the upstairs bed.
I have a gold Duvalay 5cm mattress topper for sale in the used threads but that's not the reason to reply. It does though provide the ultimate in comfort at the cost of taking up a bit of space in the back. It lies flat on the rear shelf.
I don't think the zonesleep is worth the money. It certainly wasn't any more comfortable than 1" memory foam.
It is easier to fold up than the memory foam but the foam we used wasn't covered like the comfortz one. That would be my choice.
I'm not sure though that either would cover adequately the seat belts.

We have now reached the mattress point ;-) Must admit we are either to old – or not drunk enough – for the german comfort. SO Someone know if the 5 cm Duvalay Topper can stay in the roof when closed?

We have the Comfortz leisure mattress topper it is very comfy. You can put the rear steel parcel shelf on its highest level and then just have the topper on that and the seats so more space in the boot and a comfy nights sleep cost was £99. Slept upstairs the other week and thought how uncomfortable it was compared to the Comfortz bed.

I would try out a duvalay first as they are huge when folded away and I would avoid using them when it is hot as you will sweat like a pig, we made the mistake and sold ours on ebay

Oki, thanks guys.

We are sure we will sleep on top most times. So I aim for a solution there. We will just use the top mattress underneath when we want to sleep there i guess. Thats the plan at least.

Maybe the Zonesleep is a better choice than the Duva for a topper then? I would hate getting warmer than necessary in the summer – and I still need more comfort for sure. And I need a mattress og topper that can stay up there, when the roof is closed.

What is the best to use?

I don't think that the zonesleep can remain in place with the roof closed.

Back