Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The missus thinks I'm daft......

Oldesmokie

Oldesmokie

Taking the slow road....loving the journey!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
:help
After picking up my new California Ocean before Christmas we got home then I was called offshore for three weeks. I sulked and looked at pictures of Hamish most days.

:bananadance2
So I'm buzzing with excitement after packing/unpacking and repacking most of the last week in preparation for our first trip!

20190117_160800.jpg 20190117_160824.jpg

The reason my fiancee Kirsty is sure I'm daft crazy is it's a cauld winter in Scotland. We're off to Edinburgh for the weekend so it's not like the wild highlands.......:thumb

Have you folks endured cold conditions and can you help me convince her I'm no daft and we'll be toasty with the heater and cuddled up snug?

Lock her inside the Cali with the heater on max and you will find her stripping her clotes after short time....
You can easy turn it in to a sauna...
:D

My missus thinks I’m daft as well but that’s a completely different story. Enjoy you weekend you can always tell her you are going to cuddle
Her all night. That should do it.

There are currently people camping in the Alps who will say they are warm enough with the heater on so I’m sure Edinburgh will be fine! Just make sure you run the heater for an hour or so before you use it for the first time otherwise it might be a bit smelly (assuming your van is new)

Thank you all for your advice. We're officially comfortable now after arriving and setting up. After having a jalfrezi curry now we don't notice the new smell! Haha.
Love the camper..... now onto dishes! Thankfully I was cooking!

Thank you all for your advice. We're officially comfortable now after arriving and setting up. After having a jalfrezi curry now we don't notice the new smell! Haha.
Love the camper..... now onto dishes! Thankfully I was cooking!
Jalfrezi is always a winner :thumb

Heater on, downstairs bed, top bed lowered at night and the hatch closed down to 3” and you will be toasty.
I agree with Loz. Too warm for me with the heater on all night!

It was below zero for a couple of nights last week, me under a tog 4 duvet, heater on one and a doggie on top of part of the duvet and it was more than warm enough.

heater on one and a doggie on top of part of the duvet and it was more than warm enough.
Last time I asked for a ......
...enough said :)

(Just a little “Carry-on” humour for you there... Oh, Matron..)

Last edited:
It was below zero for a couple of nights last week, me under a tog 4 duvet, heater on one and a doggie on top of part of the duvet and it was more than warm enough.

Our Spaniel Betty won't stay long on top of the duvet on a winter's night, she's straight down the middle like a rat down a drainpipe as soon as we've nodded off.

But how did you get on at the weekend Oldesmokie? (I slept quite soundly in our van at the weekend, up in the pop-top and without Mrs VD and the pooch, and with the heater off, but it was in Sussex not Scotland).

I was in Sussex as well at the weekend. Came home Saturday morning after a nice half hour chat with Kent police after my confrontation with a local moron the previous evening.

Our Spaniel Betty won't stay long on top of the duvet on a winter's night, she's straight down the middle like a rat down a drainpipe as soon as we've nodded off.

But how did you get on at the weekend Oldesmokie? (I slept quite soundly in our van at the weekend, up in the pop-top and without Mrs VD and the pooch, and with the heater off, but it was in Sussex not Scotland).

We arrived at two o clock in the afternoon to a smashing looking site, quite quiet but it is January in Scotland.
IMG-20190118-WA0010.jpg
We are brand new to the California lifestyle and sadly we may be banned from Mortonhall site after I managed to set off the alarm in the morning not once but twice..... Never been one for reading instruction manuals.......

Anyway we loved our first night and had a smashing first adventure.....where shall we go next ha ha..?

20190118_145721.jpg

I was in Sussex as well at the weekend. Came home Saturday morning after a nice half hour chat with Kent police after my confrontation with a local moron the previous evening.

Oops sounds like a weekend spoiler. :Nailbiting

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops sounds like a weekend spoiler. :Nailbiting

Yes, it was. An idiot failing to slow down on a narrow, unlit country lane and missing me and my dogs by inches. He was unamused by some of the epithets I threw after him as he went speeding past so came back to be a bit threatening about it.

Yes, it was. An idiot failing to slow down on a narrow, unlit country lane and missing me and my dogs by inches. He was unamused by some of the epithets I threw after him as he went speeding past so came back to be a bit threatening about it.

Did the threatener become the threatenee? (I hope so anyway and/or plod followed up with him).

Did the threatener become the threatenee? (I hope so anyway and/or plod followed up with him).

It ended badly for him. A bruised nose and even more bruised ego plus a threat to report me to the police which was received with great hilarity by the policewoman who interviewed me. Nonetheless I was quite shaken when I got back to the campsite, so much so that my Sister even shared some of her wine with me :D

Yes don’t lock yourself in with the remote or you’ll set off the alarm. Just lock it from the drivers door switch but be careful exiting thru the sliding door in the morning without unlocking it first, otherwise it will lock again when you close the door which could leave you locked out if you don’t have a key: a very common problem!

We arrived at two o clock in the afternoon to a smashing looking site, quite quiet but it is January in Scotland.
View attachment 40865
We are brand new to the California lifestyle and sadly we may be banned from Mortonhall site after I managed to set off the alarm in the morning not once but twice..... Never been one for reading instruction manuals.......

Anyway we loved our first night and had a smashing first adventure.....where shall we go next ha ha..?

View attachment 40866
Like the Mojave beige two tone :)

Like the Mojave beige two tone :)

Yes, i would never have thought of that colour scheme, but I think it looks great. Especially when it's that shiny :) Get some mud on it to make me less envious...

View attachment 40865

View attachment 40866
Very nice colour scheme :thumb

You can assure her it can be as warm as she like and probably much warmer than at home. Bring a decknof cards and some wine and you will have something else then TV time at home. At least that is how it is for us.

:help
After picking up my new California Ocean before Christmas we got home then I was called offshore for three weeks. I sulked and looked at pictures of Hamish most days.

:bananadance2
So I'm buzzing with excitement after packing/unpacking and repacking most of the last week in preparation for our first trip!

View attachment 40771 View attachment 40772

The reason my fiancee Kirsty is sure I'm daft crazy is it's a cauld winter in Scotland. We're off to Edinburgh for the weekend so it's not like the wild highlands.......:thumb

Have you folks endured cold conditions and can you help me convince her I'm no daft and we'll be toasty with the heater and cuddled up snug?

We were nice & toasty sleeping upstairs with the heating on 3 overnight
Ps we have the same cushions & bedding!