Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The new BMW Allegro?

I'm slowly waiting and watching this guy's Allegro sleeper project on YouTube, shoehorning a V6 engine in to one!!

I just missed out on this lovely Mario Andretti tribute car…in Vanden Plas trim too :thumb

0CF55BD2-2E64-43F3-BE4A-A805566877E2.jpeg

My dad had a very temperamental orange AlIegro, I can still see it parked on the drive in my minds eye. It was an M reg, so I guess it was a 74. Then an orange Hillman Avenger 1600. I don’t know why he had this fixation ok orange cars at the time ;)

Could live with the steering wheel, but not that bit of dash that’s been stuck on as an afterthought. You’d think the engineers would inform the designers that they need to include a display.

I'm driving one on Monday. My Sister's BMW is coming up for replacement. She doesn't know it yet ...

A mate and I did a cut & shut with an allegro, he had driven his ordinary Allegro into a tree so we went to a scrapyard to get a new front end & cut the front end off an equip version to replace it.
We did the join at the front edge of the roof & covered it with a vinyl roof.
For those that haven't seen one the equip stood out somewhat in the late 70s Biggest go faster stripes I've ever seen.The interior was orange & black Houndstooth.
equip.jpeg

A mate and I did a cut & shut with an allegro, he had driven his ordinary Allegro into a tree so we went to a scrapyard to get a new front end & cut the front end off an equip version to replace it.
We did the join at the front edge of the roof & covered it with a vinyl roof.
For those that haven't seen one the equip stood out somewhat in the late 70s Biggest go faster stripes I've ever seen.The interior was orange & black Houndstooth.
View attachment 87047
Love the stripes on the silver

They went up the c pillar as well. I seem to recall a set of stripes for the backend were horrendously expensive at £100 a set in about 1986
allegro2.jpeg

And look at the seats!
Aggi Equipe seats.jpeg

That stripe doesn't quite bring the Gulf or Martini Racing livery to mind as Austin maybe intended, but there again perhaps Starksy and Hutch if you close your eyes (very tight). But that houndstooth-on-vinyl upholstery makes you realise why Ladas and Moskviches were considered valid alternatives by the British car buyer of the 1970s.

The non jinxed one would be more unusual for publication.
So true, my first car was an Austin All-agro. Worse car purchase decision of my life. Eventually it got rear ended, then towed away by the council and crushed putting it out of its misery.

Coincidentally I was chatting yesterday with someone who's been in motorsport for decades and who rally-prepared many different marques of British cars of the 1960s-1980s. He has a heavily modified Marina (which goes quite well actually) and he's currently working on an Allegro as a bit of fun for someone to take historic rallying. He told me one of the most lovable features of the original Allegro was that the bodyshell was so weak that if you jacked the car up in the wrong place the windscreen would fall out.

No wonder the German car makers were so daunted by the sheer quality of British engineering.

Coincidentally I was chatting yesterday with someone who's been in motorsport for decades and who rally-prepared many different marques of British cars of the 1960s-1980s. He has a heavily modified Marina (which goes quite well actually) and he's currently working on an Allegro as a bit of fun for someone to take historic rallying. He told me one of the most lovable features of the original Allegro was that the bodyshell was so weak that if you jacked the car up in the wrong place the windscreen would fall out.

No wonder the German car makers were so daunted by the sheer quality of British engineering.

Mine never fell out, it just leaked.

It became a proud BL tradition, the Maestro also had leaking windscreens.

Back