The New Volkswagen Grand California is confirmed

SimonB

SimonB

Staff member
Top Poster
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
upload_2018-7-24_19-45-57.png
I've just had this from Heritage VW in Bristol https://www.heritagevwcv.co.uk/news...newsdetail.aspx?dm_i=484K,BFRJ,372AGR,19C7O,1
Further details about the new campervan will follow in the run-up to the Caravan Salon in Düsseldorf. Pricing, specification and availability for the UK market are due to be confirmed early in 2019.
Is it now being publicised as the only thread on here about it was early August last year?

That looks so much better than the concept vehicle. That nasty stern end has gone.

I wonder if they've redesigned the interior. I'm not keen on that pull out bathroom as it cuts the van in half. Could be very irritating if there's more than one on board. Also the concept interior reminds me of a dentist, all white and clinical, yuk!

Is it wearing a hat? ;)

Yep really looking forward to seeing just how this turns out

Depending on the price, this could take away a lot of business from the Fiat panel van conversions from the likes of Autosleeper etc. Let's hope they don't put a stupid price tag on it.

Looks amazing ... but a bit too big for me.

Looks amazing ... but a bit too big for me.

This is the concept model, we know the rear overhang has gone in the but its still unclear what will actually make it through to the production model hence the anticipation, fingers crossed the glass roof makes the cut but I fear this may be optional extra, if at all

The Westfalia Sven Hedin is available for about 80,000 €
it´s the same beast as the xxl.

For that kind of dough and the size of it, there are many other options.
Although i´ve just seen a 33yr old LT sven hedin for 15,000€ so if you kept
it long enough it could be a cheap thing to have.

“The Westfalia Sven Hedin is available for about 80,000 €
it´s the same beast as the xxl”

If they follow the concept it will likely be a fusion of the Sven Hedin & the T6 based Club Joker as it ‘should’ be a 4 berth with a second bed in the front roof area made of fold back panels (see Club Joker.

This is where it will take sales from Weatfalia/Hymercar pop roof Grand Canyon (&GC S) both on Ducato & Merc Sprinter IMHO.

I would expect the XXL to mimic the Hymercar Merc pop top prices probably with a £5k premium (as it’s a car manufacturer direct product). Let’s face it a 4motion DSG 204 Cali is over £70k with the options most people want.
I’d expect £75k as a bare bones basic start price.

Also I have heard the XXL will be available in 4motion (as the Hymercar Mercs can be). See here which was nearly £90k
https://www.motorhomes.co.uk/motorhomes-for-sale/hymer/hymercar/grand-canyon-s-4x4/2487/

We have our name down at our dealer who already have several people waiting to order one regardless. They will limit supply to the UK, when they get round to a RHD one that is.

Just my 2p

“The Westfalia Sven Hedin is available for about 80,000 €
it´s the same beast as the xxl”

If they follow the concept it will likely be a fusion of the Sven Hedin & the T6 based Club Joker as it ‘should’ be a 4 berth with a second bed in the front roof area made of fold back panels (see Club Joker.

This is where it will take sales from Weatfalia/Hymercar pop roof Grand Canyon (&GC S) both on Ducato & Merc Sprinter IMHO.

I would expect the XXL to mimic the Hymercar Merc pop top prices probably with a £5k premium (as it’s a car manufacturer direct product). Let’s face it a 4motion DSG 204 Cali is over £70k with the options most people want.
I’d expect £75k as a bare bones basic start price.

Also I have heard the XXL will be available in 4motion (as the Hymercar Mercs can be). See here which was nearly £90k
https://www.motorhomes.co.uk/motorhomes-for-sale/hymer/hymercar/grand-canyon-s-4x4/2487/

We have our name down at our dealer who already have several people waiting to order one regardless. They will limit supply to the UK, when they get round to a RHD one that is.

Just my 2p

I am gutted as I planned to see that 4x4 Grand Canyon S next weekend, it sold very quickly.

My reason for looking at the Hymercar instead of waiting for the XXL is that I don’t feel the VW network has enough people that know what they are talking about with our Calis let alone a new product like the XXL. The Hymer dealer network, whilst not as large, all seem to have people that can look after their habitation side and back it up with a five year warranty.

Also, for me, the XXL isn’t going to be as off-road as the Merc.

I am gutted as I planned to see that 4x4 Grand Canyon S next weekend, it sold very quickly.

My reason for looking at the Hymercar instead of waiting for the XXL is that I don’t feel the VW network has enough people that know what they are talking about with our Calis let alone a new product like the XXL. The Hymer dealer network, whilst not as large, all seem to have people that can look after their habitation side and back it up with a five year warranty.

Also, for me, the XXL isn’t going to be as off-road as the Merc.

I spoke to Travelworld last week & they told me they have another 4x4 pop Merc GCS coming in this season if you are set on one.

Having looked at how the Mercedes 4x4 system engages/works personally I prefer the AWD 4motion self sorting type as the chances of full on 'off roading' are minimal for us, it's more about muddy grass fields & forestry fire roads.

I agree to a point WRT motorhome dealers BUT I have suffered poor personal experiences of their CS & warranty, (it can be worth nothing but a piece of paper) apart from one (not a Hymer dealer I might add) generally even average franchised main motor dealers knock spots off them, on parts supply, turn-around & quality. Secondly it's all in one place for chassis & conversion, even if gas safety etc are done elsewhere.

I'd also rather have a solid roof 4 berth than a pop top.

Last edited:
I spoke to Travelworld last week & they told me they have another 4x4 pop Merc GCS coming in this season if you are set on one.

Having looked at how the Mercedes 4x4 system engages/works personally I prefer the AWD 4motion self sorting type as the chances of full on 'off roading' are minimal for us, it's more about muddy grass fields & forestry fire roads.

I agree to a point WRT motorhome dealers BUT I have suffered poor personal experiences of their CS & warranty, (it can be worth nothing but a piece of paper) apart from one (not a Hymer dealer I might add) generally even average franchised main motor dealers knock spots off them, on parts supply, turn-around & quality. Secondly it's all in one place for chassis & conversion, even if gas safety etc are done elsewhere.

I'd also rather have a solid roof 4 berth than a pop top.

Thanks MB - I will see what they say when I pop up next Sunday.

I agree about preferring a solid roof, but would compromise if everything else worked for me.

I think they need to keep it realistic, especially at launch, anything over £70k base price will put it out the reach of many people and there will be many more better alternatives available.

I would seriously consider it if the price is right especially if it has the same residuals that we see with the T5 and T6 California.

I am looking forward to see this in full glory. I do not like the lay out in the promotion version. Hope for more versions, or set ups.

Bring it on!

My dealer says it is launched at the Dusseldorf show later this month with no prices or demos until 2019.

I think prices maybe announced on the 24/25th August which is the start of the Dusseldorf Show. But I bet its a while before they make it to the UK

We are getting into Niemann & Bischoff territory now. If I wanted s vehicle that size that’s what I would go for slightly secondhand with yacht like build quality

Back