Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Three Chimneys Restaurant - Isle of Skye

Cameron1960

Cameron1960

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
I'm heading up to the Isle of Skye in a couple of weeks time. Has anyone recently been to The Three Chimneys in Dunvegsn recently. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Planning to be at the same eaterie in a couple of weeks also. Look out for a blue SE (in which case I fully understand if you decide to keep driving...)

A friend was there (in a motorhome) a year or so ago and he said it was as good as on a previous visit. Sorry I don't have anything more specific but I'll ask when I see him.

Planning to be at the same eaterie in a couple of weeks also. Look out for a blue SE (in which case I fully understand if you decide to keep driving...)

A friend was there (in a motorhome) a year or so ago and he said it was as good as on a previous visit. Sorry I don't have anything more specific but I'll ask when I see him.
Thanks, we are intending to try the lunch time menu, thinks it's about £36 / head. Trip advisors reviews are excellent, but I have had issues with some of their reviews.

We're a regular at the Three Chimney and have been for years.
Even staying over for anniversaries.
Expensive but fabulous.
Got snowed in once!

Michael Smith their young excellent chef for the last 10 years and who got them their Michelin Star after Shirley Spear (the owner) handed over the kitchen is no longer there and neither is his understudy. They both left nearly a year ago to go their different ways
I don't think it's impacted negatively on the food nor the ambiance though. Shirley Spear had to fight off heaps of applicants to take over as top man and Scott Davies won out.
His plan is not to pursue the Michelin Star which some think is not necessarily a bad thing. They include me and the missus.

Interestingly, Michael Smith has bought a restaurant only a few miles away in Stein on the Waterneish peninsula. It used to be called the Loch Bay Restaurant and he's renamed it the Loch Bay Seafood Restaurant. In its previous incarnation it was very good indeed and we have been regulars there for a half dozen years but have yet to try the new version. The Stein Inn in Stein a few yards away from Michael's Smith's new place has good beer, too.

If you're pitching the van up in Dunvegan at the Kinloch Campsite, the School House Restaurant is a 5 minute walk away. It's not as fine as the Chimneys or the Loch Bay but it's good (and no driving). Jan's Cakes in Dunvegan is a brilliant cake shop (expensive) and she does good take away curries and chillis (Jan's Jamaican). There is also a bakery nearby that does serious breakfasts.

We get up to Skye a lot and choosing between these three places is always hard!
So we end up doing the bad thing ...
Good luck

I was there in 2011 or 2012, so not recently. I struggled with the menu as it was almost entirely seafood - which isn't my thing to be honest. I only went along because my missus was keen to try it. She said it was good but she's in no rush to go back.

When in Skye, my missus always insists on going to 'The Oyster Shed." It's located in Carbost, 200-300 metres up the hill behind the Talisker Distillery. They are open Monday to Friday only - closed weekends. I've never been in myself. I've always waited in the car/van while she gets a take away.

If you're visiting that area then it's worth a shout. Missus says the food is really good - & an absolute bargain price-wise.

Enjoy your trip
Cheers

In June 2015 I was on a motorcycle trip around Skye (and the rest of Scotland) with my buddy feeling hungry one lunch time. We saw loads of cars outside 3 Chimneys and thought 'mmm, must be decent grub, let's stop here'. As we got off our bikes we noticed that the other vehicles were a bit posh and some body had been chauffered. We did not twig. We marched in side wearing our damp scruffy gear and realised we were a bit under dressed. The kind staff registered how down market we looked and offerered me a menu opened showing me the most expensive food I had ever seen at that time.
I told the kind lady 'perhaps another day' and she gave me directions to a lovely bijou place called Red Roof a few miles further towards the coast!