Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Ton Up Club

Aidy P

Aidy P

Don't play that 'What If?' game, you'll never win!
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Who else has been up to 100mph on the autobahn in their California?

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Go on then, stick your foot in !
IMG_5172.jpeg

100 isn't really trying.....thats what I slow down to on some of the steeper hills to try & keep the fuel bill down.

You shouldn't be showing photos like that on here though, I've had serious abuse previously for suggesting that 80mph is not really dangerous on an empty motorway.

Autobahns were busy today so roads not clear enough to ‘try harder’ @andyinluton & @sidepod An R8 did did go past and made it look like I was parked though.

Managed a pretty good run back last night from Rostock after the Denmark ferry. 180 kph is possible but no way I could hit the cruise control max setting of 210! Will go sit on the naughty step now!

180 kph is possible but no way I could hit the cruise control max setting of 210! Will go sit on the naughty step now!
There’s a point where the time saving due to the increase in speed is outweighed by the time lost in refuelling. It’s just like F1 you’ve got to have your fuel stop strategy sorted. If going to Spain via France in August it’s high speed through the night, fill up before retiring for the night. During the day when there are invariably queues to fill up or even to enter service stations it’s better to go slower.

There’s a point where the time saving due to the increase in speed is outweighed by the time lost in refuelling. It’s just like F1 you’ve got to have your fuel stop strategy sorted. If going to Spain via France in August it’s high speed through the night, fill up before retiring for the night. During the day when there are invariably queues to fill up or even to enter service stations it’s better to go slower.
Agree but with a 600 km trip was able to polish it off in 5.5 hours no stops needed.

600km that’s just an afternoon drive

I’ve only ever driven a Porsche at semi full beans on the Autobahn and I found it almost as tiring as a motorcycle! Eyes wide open, not blinking, constantly switching between forward and rear view and the fuel gauge which you can see moving. Great fun, kind of.

I’ve only ever driven a Porsche at semi full beans on the Autobahn and I found it almost as tiring as a motorcycle! Eyes wide open, not blinking, constantly switching between forward and rear view and the fuel gauge which you can see moving. Great fun, kind of.
yes constant high speed on a motorcycle is very tiring i found 80/90 mph is fast enough for long trips.

So how does the fuel consumption go at that speed ? is that 94 miles from full tank ?
I found it went from “lots” on the way out, high gusting winds, storm rain, 115 km/h max speed to “lots more” on the way back, nice weather, empty highway.

I’ve found that 90mph was the max speed before it felt unsafe. 80-85 mph was a good speed and didn’t ruin my mpg. Was still getting 28 mpg That’s with four of us in a loaded van.

Haha…… Half Ton club suits me…….. (well 60% Ton) and with 50+ mpg me and my bank balance are in perfect harmony :thumb

(just gonna get my hard hat on and duck for cover :D)

Haha…… Half Ton club suits me…….. (well 60% Ton) and with 50+ mpg me and my bank balance are in perfect harmony :thumb

(just gonna get my hard hat on and duck for cover :D)
I agree, if times not an issue its better on the wallet and environment.
( hard hat and body amour mentioned the E word)

had mine flat out. hit 126 ish mph on the speedo

I’ve found that 90mph was the max speed before it felt unsafe. 80-85 mph was a good speed and didn’t ruin my mpg. Was still getting 28 mpg That’s with four of us in a loaded van.
I agree that 90 is a feel safe limit for me. Would only go there if I was alone in the van.

Hit 130mph at the weekend returning from Venice on the A5
north of Basel.
Did 170mph a couple of weeks before in another car, never again..
Or maybe on a Sunday morning if I get up early.

Between 140kmh and 160kmh is a nice sensible speed on the autobahn.

Back