Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The ultimate storage for T6 makes life easy

M

Mervyn kennedy

VIP Member
IMG_1278.JPG IMG_1274.JPG IMG_1278.JPG hi all if you have a California you will know that items stored in the back are often sometimes hard to access .like the last time we were away every few mines out daughter wanted something out of the back .and as it would be the case take every thing out find it put every thing back ,not as tidy as you packed it then do all over again an hour later .this is work that I felt was unnecessary for when away .so this is what I came up with .have a look and see what I did .wont say any more and for you that have a good eye for detail please give me you comments good or bad .we are now packing for a night away to test .

IMG_1277.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

IMG_1276.JPG

Looks great I think there is a company somewhere selling a draw on runners for the back

Brilliant idea. Excellent execution. But those stairs in your garage, they're even better! :)

Seems a solid make , is it DIY ?
Whats the material?
Lots of Questions frequent about slide out dravers for the booth.
This topic is gonna be a HIT :D

I personal don't bother , the extra weight is a thing better not to have in a already very heavy verhilce flirting with going over the (legal)max loadcapaity .
Have you ever loaded up fully ready to leave for a trip and weigh yours ?

And i think the drawer gives loss of space and less flexibility .
But nevertheless i like you set up;)

On ovens i'm not gonna start as it is to me again overkill in a small campervan ( all personal needs offcoarse!)

Now seems you need to finisch it up with two smaller drawers on the leftside?

Looks great and something I believe I would like. Subject to be revisited when I have the Cali.

Mike

Brilliant idea. Excellent execution. But those stairs in your garage, they're even better! :)
Hi there thanks for coment on stairs . There is also cars upstairs .drawer made out of aluminium and very heavy duty I can stand up in it going in and out . I am a steel fabricator and was fed up with pulling things in and out about booth . Had it away week end and Wurth every cent spent on it .

Suggestion. Remove the Toolbox from the back of the rear seat and place in the front of the carrier. The carrier can then be made bigger or fitted further back.

Hi there thanks for coment on stairs . There is also cars upstairs .drawer made out of aluminium and very heavy duty I can stand up in it going in and out . I am a steel fabricator and was fed up with pulling things in and out about booth . Had it away week end and Wurth every cent spent on it .

Great work! Looks solid and nice idea with the microwave!

This looks excellent and I like the idea of the framework rather than just a drawer base.. Can you share the supplier of the slide out rails. I would like to have a go at a similar project. also WGs idea of moving the Vw fitted toolbox seems practical and willl provide better access. Did your trial night away lead to any changes??

Ian

@Mervyn kennedy what is the idea of the frame? It gives you some extra weight, is it to protect things to fall off the drawer?

@Mervyn kennedy what is the idea of the frame? It gives you some extra weight, is it to protect things to fall off the drawer?
It adds very little weight as it is aluminium and ifit wasn't there there would be little point in doing the drawer .yes it stops items falling off and jamming up the whole process . Same principle as your kitchen drawers or perhaps a chest of drawers in a bed room for holding clothes shallow sides everything falls off so pointless in having the height . Yes I know about the weight and all that surrounds the extra load .but the practical use of this is way better than worrying about the weight .not because I did this but it has transformed my life in the Cali so much so that I don't have to pull everything out now for everyone .every one can do it themselves .i am currently working on a shower and toilet unit which I think is going to cause a lot of attention .i have been working on this last few months and have some of it made some to change and more to make if all that makes sense .it will have a fully heated shower toilet etc .just need time to finish it .

I
This looks excellent and I like the idea of the framework rather than just a drawer base.. Can you share the supplier of the slide out rails. I would like to have a go at a similar project. also WGs idea of moving the Vw fitted toolbox seems practical and willl provide better access. Did your trial night away lead to any changes??

Ian
will look at invoice during the week and let you know .the idea of moving toolbox ,there was no point in doing that as I'd doesn't jive anymore space as the drawer goes tight to back of toolbox .if I take toolbox out I have to put back in somewhere so no point not gaining anything .we only have 1to 2 mm of clearance all over top bottom and sides .we have the bed grill up on the top setting all of the time now .i have seen the sliding shelf on internet with very shallow sides not what I wanted it would of been a much cheaper option that all the work I went through for mine .but end result would be different .

Hi Mervyn, as others have asked, I'd be interested to know the make / where you sourced the runners, and also what you have fixed the runners to in the van. (any chance of another photo) Great idea!

Hi Mervyn, as others have asked, I'd be interested to know the make / where you sourced the runners, and also what you have fixed the runners to in the van. (any chance of another photo) Great idea!

I hope Mervyn can come back with some more info. My googling so far has come up with this site/PDF for similar runners, but would be interested to know if he went for the 762 or 812 length?

https://www.locksonline.com/docs/pdf/13LTS313.PDF

Yes
I hope Mervyn can come back with some more info. My googling so far has come up with this site/PDF for similar runners, but would be interested to know if he went for the 762 or 812 length?

https://www.locksonline.com/docs/pdf/13LTS313.PDF
this is the one sorry for such a lovely ng wait and yes I used the 812 long slider .
If you are using these make sure it goes right up to back of seat as it touches off the zip bag for holding in seats in the tailgate

I like this - I'd like to be able pull out all the boxes in one go rather than playing Tetris with them.

I reckon if you could get these into a kit form there would be a market.
If it could come out easily all the better.

Mike

Can you make it a soft-close drawer? :D

Seriously though, looks like a superbly built bit of kit and definitely something Velma would love as a Xmas pressie if you decided to produce them. Or maybe you could just sell sets of scale drawings if you didn't want to produce?

Yours is a T6 but I'm assuming it will also fit a T5 SE as I believe they are dimensionally identical in the rear interior, but useful if anyone could confirm or otherwise.

As Mike says, would be great if it was easily dismountable.

I see you fitted a power socket at the back of the frame (on a curly retracting cable). Wired into the 240v EHU circuit, yes?

Can you make it a soft-close drawer? :D

Seriously though, looks like a superbly built bit of kit and definitely something Velma would love as a Xmas pressie if you decided to produce them. Or maybe you could just sell sets of scale drawings if you didn't want to produce?

Yours is a T6 but I'm assuming it will also fit a T5 SE as I believe they are dimensionally identical in the rear interior, but useful if anyone could confirm or otherwise.

As Mike says, would be great if it was easily dismountable.

I see you fitted a power socket at the back of the frame (on a curly retracting cable). Wired into the 240v EHU circuit, yes?
Hi and thanks for your comments .we are always adding to the Cali .ours is somewhat different to all the calis I have seen .yes the socket is plugged in to socket on side of sink .we now have put in a waeco fridge freezer in the drawer now also and a bespoke ladder to access roof box.it is a Thule Exelence Xt to which opens both sides .the red drawer uses all and I mean all of our available space and to be honest it has made a huge difference to the use of our Cali .we have our own electricity on board now also so we don't use gas .i might start making the drawer mid year 2017 as busy until then .if I had enough interest I might make them .we have raised up bed cage and out fridge now slides in and out with clearance . Regards mervyn

Excellent innovation :thumb

Look forward to seeing your toilet ideas :)

Excellent innovation :thumb

Look forward to seeing your toilet ideas :)
Many thanks will be working on it over January and the hot water shower also in the toilet section .have one 70 percent done but now changed my idea to a lighter plan .

Back