Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The wonder of Avebury

KalitheCamper

KalitheCamper

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Avebury henge and stone circles are one of the greatest marvels of prehistoric Britain. Built and much altered during the Neolithic period, roughly between 2850 BC and 2200 BC, the henge survives as a huge circular bank and ditch, encircling an area that includes part of Avebury village. Within the henge is the largest stone circle in Britain - originally of about 100 stones - which in turn encloses two smaller stone circles.
There is a museum, Manor and gardens, cafe, pub and a few shops to enjoy.
A great place to explore with good accessibility and mostly flat if you chose it to be.

View attachment IMG_0112.jpeg

View attachment IMG_0107.jpeg

IMG_0114.jpeg

View attachment IMG_0117.jpeg

View attachment IMG_0096.jpeg

Haven't been for a while but I first visited back in the late 70s when I was living down that way for a short while, I became fascinated by the Avebury Henge together with its near neighbours Silbury Hill and the West Kennet Long Barrow and how they fitted into the Neolithic people's cosmology and beliefs. On a more recent visit I was intrigued to read a bit about how the later village community and Church leaders viewed the 'pagan' henge monument. But also it's just a lovely place to visit and wander about. Stonehenge is okay but it doesn't have a pub in the middle of it.

Back