Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thermal cooked bacon joint

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Tier 4 now so cooking at home, although this is really great to do in the van.

Boiled bacon cooked in the thermal cooker. Including 2 carrots, 2 sticks celery, 1 onion, bouquet garni. For the liquid I’m using the plain chicken stock (pressure cooked from the chicken bones 3 days ago, no veggies added).

Recently i’ve been making my own bouquet garni , parcelled in leek leaves. Alas, today no leeks so used the outer leaves of a cabbage. They were pretty brittle so steamed for a couple of minutes to soften and then wrapped up bay leaves, mixed dried herbs and black peppercorns.

The bacon joint was soaked in cold water overnight. Then, in the inner thermal pot, covered with fresh water, bought to the boil and then the water discarded. Then stock, veggies and bouqet garni added. Brought to the boil and simmered for 20 mins.

Inner pot placed in the outer pot so the thermal effect can work its magic and carry on cooking without any power for about 4 hours.

D2D15D3A-E3A3-406E-9E2E-9E25099BC73A.jpeg

A8B83C5C-28C9-4C02-91EB-0CFC5D1EEA87.jpeg
Our thermal cooker came complete with a Japanese cookbook and since I’m not a fan of fish (plus I can’t speak the language) it’s fairly redundant.
The above was my recreation of one of the recipes, but since then we’ve stuck to chill.
Looking forward to trying out new dishes in 2021, will add this bacon meal to the list. Thanks.

View attachment 71275
Our thermal cooker came complete with a Japanese cookbook and since I’m not a fan of fish (plus I can’t speak the language) it’s fairly redundant.
The above was my recreation of one of the recipes, but since then we’ve stuck to chill.
Looking forward to trying out new dishes in 2021, will add this bacon meal to the list. Thanks.
HyBigTed, happy new year.

My first proper computer in 1986 had instructions only in Japanese, nightmare! No YouTube in them days. Take a look on t’interweb for Mr D’s thermal cooking. There’s a Facebook group too by a lady in the US.