Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thermal pop top cover

D

Dubster75

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Can anyone recommend a decent thermal cover for the pop top?
Could do with a bit of extra protection to keep the kids dry and warm when they have been put to bed!
Also, has anybody ever made/bought any kind of cover for the internal roof space to stop little people from falling down onto the front seats...just curious as i'm considering making one?

If you have a search for roof toppers, there's loads of discussions on the forum. I have an external Comfortz topper bought from the forum shop. It's not thermal as such but does offer a second layer and some insulation.
The children's safety net come up for sale quite regularly in "For Sale". Not sure if they are interchangeable between the T5, 4 and 6. They are, like all things Cali, pretty pricey and relatively simple in design so a DIY job makes sense.

I have a wrap-around silver insulated cover, got it from brickwerks a few weeks ago (but sadly showing out-of-stock at mo (https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t4-parts/accesories/thermal-pop-top-screen-t4-westfalia.html) but think it has a Daniel Pucer name on it, more than happy with it. It held up really well in some pretty heavy storms in Germany earlier in the year. Def warmer in the eves and a bit quieter but the biggest advantage is it darkens the sleeping area so we get an extra hour out of the kids!

Be interested to see what you do on the hole guard front as we have the same issue with our two should they ever both sleep upstairs. I have a T5.1 safety net and def not interchangeable between T5 and T4 so I'm in the process of trying to work out how to best fettle that at the moment.

Last edited:
No but he sells loads pretty sure he'll have one for a T4. Click on the Shop tab and have a browse.

I like mine for winter use it keeps the roof material dry and adds some insulation also keeps the upstairs very dark.

@Dubster75, @bluerallye, it looks from your profiles that you both have early T4's with the H frame at the front of the poptop?

If so you can possibly do what I've done to prevent the kids falling down. I bought a camp bed from Argos similar to this one in Decathlon:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/camp-bed-60-id_8382705.html

Sadly Argo no longer stock theirs, but the Decathlon one above looks similar and may work. Basically mine comes with three pole sections and with only two pole sections fitted, it then fits perfectly lengthways across the width of the van. The bottom sits on the small lip at the front of the roof and the top leans against the H Frame. It fits really snug and I've even had my kids sleeping pretty much on top of it and its held in place with no issues.

Sadly I've no photos, but hope that makes some kind of sense.