Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thetford 335 vent seal leaking

M

McMeefia

Hi fellow potti owners. I was wondering if anyone has ever had a problem with the vent seal (the little black hole in front of the main 'lip seal' hole) on their toilet leaking when you carry it in the upright position?

We're away for the summer and have never had this problem before. As you can imagine it's rather inconvenient and potentially smelly, and we don't know how to fix it! I've cleaned it thoroughly but it hasn't fixed the problem.:(

The toilet is only 2 years old. I can't decide whether we need a new part or perhaps need to lubricate the seal???? Either way, we have no idea where to locate parts or seal lubricant whilst we are in South Germany.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cathy

Hi fellow potti owners. I was wondering if anyone has ever had a problem with the vent seal (the little black hole in front of the main 'lip seal' hole) on their toilet leaking when you carry it in the upright position?

We're away for the summer and have never had this problem before. As you can imagine it's rather inconvenient and potentially smelly, and we don't know how to fix it! I've cleaned it thoroughly but it hasn't fixed the problem.:(

The toilet is only 2 years old. I can't decide whether we need a new part or perhaps need to lubricate the seal???? Either way, we have no idea where to locate parts or seal lubricant whilst we are in South Germany.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cathy
Hi Cathy,
I have just had a look at ours. The vent hole is opened by the T handle at the front that also opens the access to the storage tank of the loo.
The seal to the vent hole and may have dried out. With ours I put olive oil round the seal to the main access. It keeps the rubber/neoprene soft and I would gues that some of this oil migrates to the vent hole as we have never had this problem
Suggest that you put a squidge of olive oil round both seals, it may work.

Alternatively you could empty it every day.!:eek:

Vaseline worked on ours.
Thetford advise not to use Vaseline or oil, not sure why, maybe it makes the rubber seals deteriorate! Olive oil is ok or the proper lubricant sold by Thetford.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cathy
http://www.thetford-europe.com/dealers-service-centres/

Insert your address and the site will show the nearest Dealer. That vent seal is a replaceable part. Thetford site also has a video on how to replace it.

Thetford advise not to use Vaseline or oil, not sure why, maybe it makes the rubber seals deteriorate! Olive oil is ok or the proper lubricant sold by Thetford.

Do Thetford advise olive oil or just the lubricant they sell? I would be surprised if Vaseline reacted badly with any of the commonly used synthetic seal materials but happy to be corrected if that is truly not the case.

From Thetford FAQ

listarrow.png
What special maintenance do you advise for the Porta Potti toilets?

To prolong the life span of a portable toilet we advise to maintain a PP toilet regularly. Use Cassette Tank Cleaner for the waste-holding tank 2-3 times a year and treat the seals with Seal Lubricant when the seals become dry. CTC safely removess stubborn calcium deposits on the inside of a waste-holding tank and Seal Lubricant keeps the seals soft.

I used olive oil on mine,

but then, I used olive oil with everything. Somewhere in my family I have relatives who make it. Besides, anything that grows alongside wine grapes just has to be good :D

Thanks guys! Love this forum :happy
I was a bit worried about trying Vaseline or oil, but will certainly try the olive oil trick in the absence of the recommended thetford stuff (besides, I like your theory G. Jen!).

Fingers crossed :)

Thanks also for the link to the supplier Welshgas. I'll look into that if the problem continues.

Xx

Without being too repetitious Thetford also say that when the toilet is not to be used for long periods ( For us that is winter) the seals should be cleaned and lubricated with olive oil. I also leave the valve blade open as it can stick to the seal.
Some one has to do the dirty work.:sad