Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thetford Cube

J

jeff16

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
In preparation for our first trip of any length we purchased a Thetford Cube for use in emergencies. Being very wary of drilling through the side of the cabinet we resolved not to attempt to raise the shelf under the sink and followed Granny Jen's example of making a suitable cover so that it may be used as a seat. This is the first time we have used one of these and my question is whether or not we can travel with the Cube charged ready for use or do we travel with it empty and then rush around filling it with the necessary fluids when required? Other half is worried about fluid slopping out when travelling.

I have never had fluid slosh out however it is useful to ensure that you have some form of carpet or textured surface material under it when travelling to help prevent it sliding all over the place on the basic plastic surface.

I have carpet in my living area which generally prevents slipping but the fuller it is the more prone it is to sliding around.

My general routine is to get home, clean it all thoroughly, put it back together again with about a litre of water in the flush tank and a dometic capsule with a cup of water in the holding tank. All ready to use as required but not too heavy to lift in and out. The flush tank especially can be quite heavy when full.

Jen is right on all points, we use some of that non-slip stuff to put ours on, otherwise you could damage the loo and cupboards ...

BTW if you keep your loo in the living area, you can generally find one of those small ottoman chests they sell in the likes of Home Bargains etc. Turn it upside down over the loo, then pop the top on it. At night you can collapse it up, or put it on the front seat and chuck all your paraphernalia in it until morning.

Maybe you can even stand on it to get in the roof ....

Thanks to you both for the advice and to Granny Jen for introducing us to capsules rather than carting around bottles of liquid

We take an old towelling bath mat with us to put the loo on. In case of mishaps, which are usually just spots of the pink stuff from over enthusiastic flushing... It gets put in the wash every now and then.

Back