Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Things you didn't know your van did

Haha thats brilliant! Making use of every inch of that Cali!

The one advantage of not having the awning sides is we can dry stuff too :) after a thunder storm :D

dryingtowels.jpg

Please explain further? I can't see how a stop in the rail adds any strength to anything. If the stops were needed to prevent the seat entering the cab area surely they would be fitted on both rails & also needed in front of the fifth seat?

The only way the rear seat is going to be entering the cab is if the rails are ripped out of the floor, if you hit something hard enough to cause that to happen, the problem would be the cab being pushed backwards not the backseats coming forward.

It would be both if you remove it. It creates an anchor point which helps prevent it from starting to move in a shunt. It's called the "forward travelling position" for a reason. Inertia build up by the mass of that fat bench seat moving forward without being first anchored isn't something I'd be comfortable with coming at me from behind, especially if I also had a 2ltr diesel lump sitting on my knees, but you go ahead, I'm sure it'll be fine.

It would be both if you remove it. It creates an anchor point which helps prevent it from starting to move in a shunt. It's called the "forward travelling position" for a reason. Inertia build up by the mass of that fat bench seat moving forward without being first anchored isn't something I'd be comfortable with coming at me from behind, especially if I also had a 2ltr diesel lump sitting on my knees, but you go ahead, I'm sure it'll be fine.
Do you move the stop with every move of the seat?

Where is it called the "forward travelling position"? I've never heard it called that & don't recall seeing anything in the handbook about needing to put the seat forward when travelling.

Why should the seat come forward any faster than the rest of the van? there is a mechanism on the feet of the bench that stops it sliding along the rails with "teeth" that fit positively into indents on the underside of the rails, there is no way that seat is going to move without either the locking mechanism being released or the rails being ripped out of the floor. If it was freely sliding along the rail a 100kg bench with say 2 x 75kg passengers on it isn't going to be stopped by a block retained by just one M10 bolt.

If the stopper formed part of the crash restraint for the seat there would be explicit instructions as where & how to fix it with torque settings for the bolt etc. I'm sure there would also be one in each rail otherwise you would be just creating a pivot point.

I don't know if you've ever had either a seat or the bench out of the van & seen the locking mechanism, but the aluminium rail that you see on the floor is just a piece of trim that hides the proper steel rails.

I've just discovered that my cubby hole cover has a credit card slot in the underside! Ideal location for the roadside assistance card!

Am I the only one who didn't know??

IMG_3204.JPG

Mine seems to have collected enough sand to start my own beach ;) don't remember that in the brochure.

This is not correct - the beach has no stops in the rails so they cannot be in any way related to crash protection as otherwise they would be fitted.

The Last meet I went to somebody pointed out to me that when I turn the steering wheel with the lights on
The little driving lights at the bottom of the spoiler light up depending on what way you turn.
This got me thinking is there anything else it does that is not common knowledge :?:

I've just come back from a short trip to my local store to buy some emergency alcohol supplies and noticed the little driving lights come on when I went round a corner. It's the first time I've driven my van at night so didn't know it did that. On returning home I've fired up the laptop as I remembered there was a thread here called 'Things you didn't know your van did' so I could explain my exciting new find to the world when I noticed that the same finding started this thread in 2012. :thumb

I've just come back from a short trip to my local store to buy some emergency alcohol supplies and noticed the little driving lights come on when I went round a corner. It's the first time I've driven my van at night so didn't know it did that. On returning home I've fired up the laptop as I remembered there was a thread here called 'Things you didn't know your van did' so I could explain my exciting new find to the world when I noticed that the same finding started this thread in 2012. :thumb

Well, better late than never though ;)

Coming back from a camping trip in Scotland yesterday, the trip longer on the M6 due to two accidents, a light came on with an icon of a cup of coffee, telling me I needed to take a break. Has this happened to anyone else?

Coming back from a camping trip in Scotland yesterday, the trip longer on the M6 due to two accidents, a light came on with an icon of a cup of coffee, telling me I needed to take a break. Has this happened to anyone else?
Yep. Quite normal. Computer says take a break.

Mike

Oh! Mine does similar except the icon is a bottle of wine with the message "find a Britstop" :(

Is this a T6 thing? Not got that on my T5.

You get this on the T5
IMG_0297.JPG

Nice dawg Gez B, we got two mischevious terriorists ourselves. Wonderful little buggers aren't they.

I've just discovered that my cubby hole cover has a credit card slot in the underside! Ideal location for the roadside assistance card!

Am I the only one who didn't know??

View attachment 17430
No, you're not the only one that didn't know - I didn't either. Just been out to check Cali and found the card slot!

Nice dawg Gez B, we got two mischevious terriorists ourselves. Wonderful little buggers aren't they.
Go well with the California just the right size. As you will know don't shed hair and never get in with muddy paws :talktothehand

It monitors your driving, not just a time elapsed thing.

Yes, its telling you to take a break. Marvellous, they've thought of everything, well nearly everything on the California.:thumb

The only thing it doesn't do is to suggest where to go for your break............."Might I suggest that Sir or Madam takes a week orf in western Scotland or perhaps a long weekend in the New Forest. The weather is particularly agreeable there at the moment".

Been out today with passengers in the back for the first time Apparently when you speak in the front it comes out of the rear speakers they thought they were on a proper guided tour round the Peak District

Been out today with passengers in the back for the first time Apparently when you speak in the front it comes out of the rear speakers they thought they were on a proper guided tour round the Peak District

I'm sure that's an extra cost option.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Back