Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Things that have failed in 2yrs

PaulMilton

PaulMilton

Treading water until retirement.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I was wondering what has gone wrong within the warranty period of other poeples’ Calis.

VW have, in my experience, been good at dealing with problems. The old Trafford, Manchester dealership have been good too- collecting and returning our Cali.

I just have a tinge of disappointment with what’s failed. Which surprises me as I have owned a few Land Rovers which have a worse reputation but didn’t give me as much trouble (not none either!).
(Cali ocean, 2016, 204, DSG)
Year 1- tap failure (pump failed) and EGR valve, causing limp mode. That took a while to fix and a replacement hire Cali was arranged, which was good.
Year 2 - tap failure (switch in tap), front driver side shock absorber has leaked and is being replaced, rear caliper has siezed which may have damaged the break disk.

The thing is, I still bloody love Camp Dave and wouldn’t be without it!

How are others fairing?

Plastic broke on a camping chair, both replaced under warranty.

My chair broke - plastic part - in dealers waiting on decision
CD player stopped playing - Listers have agreed to replace
EHU flap flapped off - waiting on new part
Roll out awning - seal came apart in warm weather - replaced
Roll down blind over sliding door faulty - replaced

Rear wardrobe tambour door, came apart, replaced under warranty.

Mechanism on table in sliding door. Don’t think the missing rivet was ever fitted to start with. Replaced under warranty.
Cylinder head (I think) VW currently investigating.
And my sense of humour as a result of above cyclinder head issue.
Still love the Cali though.

My chair broke - plastic part - in dealers waiting on decision
CD player stopped playing - Listers have agreed to replace
EHU flap flapped off - waiting on new part
Roll out awning - seal came apart in warm weather - replaced
Roll down blind over sliding door faulty - replaced

They need to replace the chairs, its a given. Happened to my mate in the same week as ours while in Italy last year we both got replacement chairs.

Did you get a replacement vehicle whilst the work was being done?

No but got to keep the old chairs, which are away at present having billet alloy replacement parts made to replace the four black plastic parts on each chair, hopefully cure the problem. Shame no van to put them in ...

Mechanism on table in sliding door. Don’t think the missing rivet was ever fitted to start with. Replaced under warranty.
Cylinder head (I think) VW currently investigating.
And my sense of humour as a result of above cyclinder head issue.
Still love the Cali though.

I must admit I know what you mean re sense of humour. Do what I did with the first van, lots of issues so I had a devour fit in the showroom, had the sales manager, brand Manager and service Manager stood at the back of a Cali, I asked what was missing from the back of the van, much scratching of heads until they gave in. I then said a Vauxhall badge so why was I being treated like a Vauxhall customer.

I did get a 3'6" illuminated wall mounted VW sign for the garage as a sweetener, but the Mrs wants it on the dinning room wall what a girl.

Warranty repairs.
Trim on sliding table coming off,replaced
Wonky closing roof , needed new pump.(cost £1,600)
Tap replaced ,micro sensor faulty.
Sliding door blind replaced.
Engine battery not holding charge,replaced.

Very pleased bought extra 2 yrs warranty when purchased Grace.

Awning Seam Split - replaced
Camping Chair Broke - replaced
Tap Stopped Working - fixed
Cooker Lighter issue - fixed
Rear Brake Light Leak - replaced

Coventry Listers, 3 years of warranty I had the following go wrong:

Warranty:
  • Yr1 Blinds didn't return properly, were removed and replaced. Have worked great ever since but they did leave ripples in them and some gaps in my panels which wasn't great.
  • Tailgate brake light replaced under recall.
  • Yr2 Paint came off rear tailgate handle, still awaiting repair under warranty even though it expired in April. As the handle needs painting by the body shop but the item is fitted by the garage its like plaiting fog getting any movement even though the fault was accepted.
Non warranty:
  • CV Boot came off and was leaking.
  • Sliding door handle not working properly (literally went last week in Antwerp).
That is it I think.

Coventry Listers, 3 years of warranty I had the following go wrong:

Warranty:
  • Yr1 Blinds didn't return properly, were removed and replaced. Have worked great ever since but they did leave ripples in them and some gaps in my panels which wasn't great.
  • Tailgate brake light replaced under recall.
  • Yr2 Paint came off rear tailgate handle, still awaiting repair under warranty even though it expired in April. As the handle needs painting by the body shop but the item is fitted by the garage its like plaiting fog getting any movement even though the fault was accepted.
Non warranty:
  • CV Boot came off and was leaking.
  • Sliding door handle not working properly (literally went last week in Antwerp).
That is it I think.

What happened to the door handle?

Side sliding window broke on first use (sliding door side)
Sliding door electric closing mechanism broke
Tap stopped working
Sliding tambour door at rear broke

All these things replaced under warranty, but a lot of trips back and forth to garages, courtesy vehicle charged for one time, got very frustrated dealing with VW North Wales who didn't get parts in when we'd booked them and it was a 2 hour journey …

I wouldn't get rid of the van because of these issues, but I do think we should expect better customer care as private individuals spending our life savings (£51k for us). These are all common issues (see many threads) and VW should be better than this.

I still love my van though.

Warranty work we got made the first 24 months, as I recall:
  1. The plastic hinge in armrest broke on both camping chairs
  2. 220 V (150 W) plug internals came loose
  3. Plastic rivets holding the internal roof broke of
  4. Plastic knobs holding the cooker rings broke
  5. EGR valve got changed (was actually over warranty - but a courtesy change)
  6. Awning split (Changed 2 times)
  7. Rear side right window was wrong tinted ab factory
  8. Plastic cover for the right attachment point of the rear shelf (Changed 2 times)
  9. The roof started to bubble at the front line (Arrangements made)
  10. One leisure battery died
  11. Tap contact (Changed 2 times)
I discovered the key for the water cap is broken in the plastic. But am over warranty now (only 2 years in Denmark).

All was changed with no discussion. But we got quite a lot of changes due to the car was an ex-demo but sold at new without discount and failures/damages made by the mechanics at the dealership was the biggest issue … long story. But all is solved and fixed.

Cali not quite two years but 17k miles
Rear Tambour door
Leaking side rail
Tailgate gas struts not pushing door up (even in summer)
None of these yet reported to VW.
EDIT:
Plastic rivets holding the internal roof broke

(also own Skoda Yeti - 4 years old, 40k miles no warranty claims and nothing gone wrong since)

I was wondering what has gone wrong within the warranty period of other poeples’ Calis.

VW have, in my experience, been good at dealing with problems. The old Trafford, Manchester dealership have been good too- collecting and returning our Cali.

I just have a tinge of disappointment with what’s failed. Which surprises me as I have owned a few Land Rovers which have a worse reputation but didn’t give me as much trouble (not none either!).
Year 1- tap failure (pump failed) and EGR valve, causing limp mode. That took a while to fix and a replacement hire Cali was arranged, which was good.
Year 2 - tap failure (switch in tap), front driver side shock absorber has leaked and is being replaced, rear caliper has siezed which may have damaged the break disk.

How are others fairing?
Y1 and Y3 Tap replaced - suspected as micro switch
Electrical fault resulting in side light bulbs popping - headlight replaced
Awning leg locking mech broke - awning replaced
Near side rear passenger sliding window difficult to close and mech eventually broke - window repaired as an interim and window due for replacement soon

What happened to the door handle?
There was a loud "twang noise" whilst pulling away in Nederlands and the handle extends out further and is therefore harder to open. I suspect a cable has slipped or stretched. It still works however. This was after the warranty though so I need to fix myself or let them do it for a fee.

Last edited:
EGR valve, electrical failure at 10 days and 900 miles. Control panel replaced at 1 year, dodgy menu selection. Now on 74,000 miles and nil else.

How are others fairing?
might also be worth checking with them that the brake fluid is still up to scratch (overheating calipers can boil brake fluid) and the grease in the wheel bearing (overheating brake disks can liquidise grease in the wheel bearings) - had plenty of experience with this king of thing in older VWs so its worth looking out for and asking the question with them. :thumb

2.4 years old 16,000 miles - Awning seam melted in the second year. Fixed by SMG Tonbridge.