Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Think your fully insured ??

Paul1

Paul1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
My Cali was insured with Comfort insurance. When I bought a new vehicle and contacted them to change details I was informed any vehicle over £55000 Comfort insist it has Thatcham 1 alarm system. Fair enough. After making enquires about alarms, basically the difference between 1 and 2 is, 2 has not the interior sensor that detects movement inside. When I asked Comfort what if I made a claim when, for example the interior alarm was switched off because my dog was left alone locked in the vehicle or we were asleep inside, she adamantly said "you would not be insured in those circumstances because having the interior alarm off did not meet Thatcham 1 standards. The Caravan Club insurance have no restrictions and will happily insure vehicles with Thatcham 2. As insurance companies scrutinise any claim and will reject anything which does not reach their conditions I wonder how many of us are not insured while the interior alarm is off. :crazy

How will they know its switched off when someone breaks in :?:

In those circumstances, unless you tell porkys they know. :oops:

I guess most of us own sub £55,000 Calis so it won't matter if the interior sensor is switched off. A Cat 2 alarm would be sufficient under that figure presumably ?

Given that the base price, before discount, of my cali was £61k I find this information quite enlightening.

My insurance is due for renewal in 6 weeks. I will look elsewhere and do a comparison.

Thank you Paul.

even if your Cali is sub £55000, if its insured as with Thatcham 1 and interior is off the rule will still apply.

the answer is then, if your Cali is stolen don't tell them it was switched off ! or change insurance company. There is no point saving a few quid on insurance if they won't pay out if the worst happens. Thanks for the info Paul1. (I'm insured with Comfort).

What's the situation on a ferry?
Most ferry companies ask for the interior/motion sensors to be turned off.
Hardly likely to get the van stolen on a ferry but it could be broken into.

Comfort would not insure me because it is my only vehicle. I am with Just Kampers.

As an aside I have 2 lots of friends who have small motor homes and have been gassed and their items stolen whilst they were in the vehicle. They said the gas was administered via the air intake for the fridge....don't know if that would be likely in a cali

Sorry, but that is a total myth. The likely reason is too much vino. As an anaesthetist for the past 41 years, I would love to get my hands on this stuff. Odourless, doesn't cause death and quick acting. We have been looking for something like this for over a century.

A statement from The Royal College of Anaesthetists about Motorhome owners being gassed then robbed.

Despite the increasing numbers of reports of people being gassed in motor-homes or commercial trucks in France, and the warning put out by the Foreign Office for travellers to be aware of this danger, this College remains of the view that this is a myth. It is the view of the College that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious by blowing ether, chloroform or any of the currently used volatile anaesthetic agents, through the window of a motor-home without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time. Ether is an extremely pungent agent and a relatively weak anaesthetic by modern standards and has a very irritant affect on the air passages, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting. It takes some time to reach unconsciousness, even if given by direct application to the face on a cloth, and the concentration needed by some sort of spray administered directly into a room would be enormous. The smell hangs around for days and would be obvious to anyone the next day. Even the more powerful modern volatile agents would need to be delivered in tankerloads of carrier gas or by a large compressor. Potential agents, such as the one used by the Russians in the Moscow siege are few in number and difficult to obtain. Moreover, these drugs would be too expensive for the average thief to use. The other important point to remember is that general anaesthetics are potentially very dangerous, which is why they are only administered in the UK by doctors who have undergone many years of postgraduate training in the subject and who remain with the unconscious patient throughout the anaesthetic. Unsupervised patients are likely to die from obstruction of the airway by their tongues falling back. In the Moscow seige approximately 20% of the people died, many probably from airway obstruction directly related to the agent used. If there was a totally safe, odourless, potent, cheap anaesthetic agent available to thieves for this purpose it is likely the medical profession would know about it and be investigating its use in anaesthetic practice.

I just love these gassing stories.

I do believe that the last people to be "gassed" were robbed of a very large amount of cash on their way home from holiday. The insurance company did question who has a large amount of cash coming home, not going, on holiday.

It also questioned why, when a whole van load of family, ranging from 18 to 70, and from perfectly healthy to having respiratory problems, would each have suffered identical symptoms, despite gas levels needed to knock out the 18 year old would have to be sufficient to prove terminal to the 70 y/old with respiratory problems.

It also questioned the medical report that reported high CO blood levels, apparently the high CO levels were comparable with heavy smoking, and the van apparently were full of smokers.

It also raised doubts on the testimony of hearing a high revving diesel engine.. no one else on the Aire in question heard it and anyway, apparently truck diesel engines these days do not produce large CO outputs, unlike petrol engines.

Oh, and what stupid daft individual goes to bed without a CO detector being somewhere in the van, and I do believe that the occupants of the van in question had a van equipped with a CO detector, yet another reason why the insurance company chose to reject their claim.

For those of us with a Cali I also understand that our fridges do not have external vents so unlike those poor people, robbed of so much holiday cash by CO being pumped through external vents from a high revving but silent diesel engine, we are not at so much risk.

WelshGas said:
Sorry, but that is a total myth. The likely reason is too much vino. As an anaesthetist for the past 41 years, I would love to get my hands on this stuff. Odourless, doesn't cause death and quick acting. We have been looking for something like this for over a century.

A statement from The Royal College of Anaesthetists about Motorhome owners being gassed then robbed.

Despite the increasing numbers of reports of people being gassed in motor-homes or commercial trucks in France, and the warning put out by the Foreign Office for travellers to be aware of this danger, this College remains of the view that this is a myth. It is the view of the College that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious by blowing ether, chloroform or any of the currently used volatile anaesthetic agents, through the window of a motor-home without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time. Ether is an extremely pungent agent and a relatively weak anaesthetic by modern standards and has a very irritant affect on the air passages, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting. It takes some time to reach unconsciousness, even if given by direct application to the face on a cloth, and the concentration needed by some sort of spray administered directly into a room would be enormous. The smell hangs around for days and would be obvious to anyone the next day. Even the more powerful modern volatile agents would need to be delivered in tankerloads of carrier gas or by a large compressor. Potential agents, such as the one used by the Russians in the Moscow siege are few in number and difficult to obtain. Moreover, these drugs would be too expensive for the average thief to use. The other important point to remember is that general anaesthetics are potentially very dangerous, which is why they are only administered in the UK by doctors who have undergone many years of postgraduate training in the subject and who remain with the unconscious patient throughout the anaesthetic. Unsupervised patients are likely to die from obstruction of the airway by their tongues falling back. In the Moscow seige approximately 20% of the people died, many probably from airway obstruction directly related to the agent used. If there was a totally safe, odourless, potent, cheap anaesthetic agent available to thieves for this purpose it is likely the medical profession would know about it and be investigating its use in anaesthetic practice.

Good one. Always been more than a bit cynical about this one. "Too much vino".... :!:
:thanks

Gas in our van is usually due to beans the night before. :crazy

:goodone :laugh2 :laugh2 :laugh2 :laugh2