Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thinking about ordering before 1st Nov 17

CampervanTime

CampervanTime

VIP Member
Vehicle
Westy Sven Hedin
Ok - it's massively sooner than I was expecting to order a Cali but with a big push we think we can order our first ever Cali before the end of October, beating the 3% price rise and hopefully securing the £1k deposit contribution too.

This is the spec we are currently thinking of, it's about £1k too much really but ordering one of these doesn't come round every day and we may regret missing a bit of our dream spec if we don't splash out.

Any thoughts or suggestions very much welcome on this spec - is anything on here just useless, worthless or missing?

150 DSG Ocean (wanted 204 DSG but expensive and more thirsty)
Metallic Paint (thinking Grey but could do candy white to save a bit - is it 'special' enough?)
Shower Connection + Interior Light Pack (we have a dog, so thinking feet)
Adaptive Cruise (goes well with DSG and had it before and liked it)
LED Headlamps (we live in a dark village and love decent headlights)
Laminated Glass (apparently reduces wind noise and provides extra security?)
Sports Steering wheel (for flappy paddles - would we use these on the 150?)
Composition Radio + App Connect (cheaper option than having Discover nav)
Premium MFD (makes the dash look nicer, you look at it a lot!)
Towbar Removable (for a bike rack, wife is short so need a low down option, hence tow bar)
F+R Parking+Camera (is camera really needed?)
High Beam Assist (we've had this on lots of cars before and is just nice)
Awning in Black (presume not cheaper to buy one after?)
Magnetic Flashlight (handy for late night dog wee ?)
Mudflaps (factory fit look much better than fitting after)
Safe Box (Is this useful?)
HD Anti-roll bars (thinking it might help with roundabout body roll?)

I ordered a year before needing my Beach. Was able to order a demonstrator vehicle to my specification. I asked the dealer to write into the contract that is was to be delivered with no more than 5000 miles and no more than 3 months from first registration.

For this I had a 14% discount, and was able to have a much higher specification Beach.

In the end, my Beach was delivered from new, the garage were the registered keeper for the first three months, but I was the first owner.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Ok - it's massively sooner than I was expecting to order a Cali but with a big push we think we can order our first ever Cali before the end of October, beating the 3% price rise and hopefully securing the £1k deposit contribution too.

This is the spec we are currently thinking of, it's about £1k too much really but ordering one of these doesn't come round every day and we may regret missing a bit of our dream spec if we don't splash out.

Any thoughts or suggestions very much welcome on this spec - is anything on here just useless, worthless or missing?

Metallic Paint (thinking Grey but could do candy white to save a bit - is it 'special' enough?)
Towbar Removable (for a bike rack, wife is short so need a low down option, hence tow bar)

I'm biased and have Candy white but every time I look at it or see across a crowded carpark I still think it's the best looking vehicle I've ever owned.

Things you could do without and do nothing for safety or comfort are the premium MFD the normal one is fine, nice for the sat navigation but doesn't really give that much extra.The flash light is a very expensive torch you could easily buy a rechargeable and plug it into the 12 by the sliding door we got a little light the plugs into the 12v socket supposed to be rechargeable.

The shower extension I would drop the club shop has a nice "inexpensive" solution.

I would remove some of the options and add the 80l tank if available.

Good luck.

.. message ends..

Whilst I don’t have our van yet, I went for DSG , but didn’t spec the “flappy” paddles, I have a sporty hatchback with DSG and paddles and hardly ever use them on a car more designed for them. You should also be able to go up and down the box with the auto lever if you want, otherwise just enjoy the auto.

I'm biased and have Candy white but every time I look at it or see across a crowded carpark I still think it's the best looking vehicle I've ever owned.

Things you could do without and do nothing for safety or comfort are the premium MFD the normal one is fine, nice for the sat navigation but doesn't really give that much extra.The flash light is a very expensive torch you could easily buy a rechargeable and plug it into the 12 by the sliding door we got a little light the plugs into the 12v socket supposed to be rechargeable.

The shower extension I would drop the club shop has a nice "inexpensive" solution.

I would remove some of the options and add the 80l tank if available.

Good luck.

.. message ends..
Also the safe can easily be added later if you feel you need it

Some good points already :thumb
If you like the white, junk the flappy paddles and add the safe later you have got most of your extra1K back.

Just a question...
I have seen HD roll bars talked about. Are they a choice on the configurator? I wouldn't have chosed the option but it bothers me if I missed it.:confused:

Regards to getting your order in now, what do you have to lose?
Good Luck :thumb

Sorry for the over use of emoji's

Steering wheel can be retro fitted after purchase if you really feel your missing out on some paddle action. There's also plenty companies out there offereing roll bar upgrades if you felt later on that it's required. I'd also leave the shower & either opt for the cheaper option as mentioned or again it can be retro fitted

Brilliant, thanks for the comments and feedback on the spec.
Just a question...
I have seen HD roll bars talked about. Are they a choice on the configurator? I wouldn't have chosed the option but it bothers me if I missed it.:confused:

The online configurator thing is rubbish. So many errors with spec/pricing etc.

I have used the downloadable August 2017 pricelist as my guide, which does list the HD anti roll bars.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Does anyone know what the difference is between:

Interior light concept for Camper, ‘Comfort plus’ in passenger compartment

and

Interior light concept for Camper, ‘Comfort’ in passenger compartment??

When you buy the shower it forces you to buy the 'comfort plus' lights, but you also can't buy 'comfort plus' lights without the shower.

I'm keen to get the new strip light under the front of the kitchen and also the wardrobe / in kitchen cupboard lights - but think i've seen a van with these on which didn't have the shower?!

Any ideas ??

The difference in the comfort and comfort plus was described to me as mood lighting which extends to the pop top.
That in turn lead me to believe that you need the comfort plus for the strip light under the front of the kitchen.
That said I never got that feeling from the California Chris MY18 walk around video, nor from another member here who asked the same question.
For now, I'm planning on the lights inside the kitchen cupboards being standard but the strip light coming with the Comfort plus pack which I did not spec (so it would be a nice bonus if I'm wrong).
Like you I don't think UK spec allows the purchase of shower or comfort plus without each other which is daft because they should be one pack if thats the case?

Well interestingly the MY18 Ocean that I saw this morning in the Leicester VW showroom didn't have the shower but DID have the two buttons on the end of the kitchen unit for the under cupboard lights and the strip light. The battery was disconnected so i can't tell you if it was fitted and it worked, but there were certainly two buttons there with little lamp symbols on!

Surely there must be someone on here with a MY18 Ocean without the shower to tell us what they got?

Surely there must be someone on here with a MY18 Ocean without the shower to tell us what they got?
Lets watch this space...

If trying the save a few quid.... I would go with candy while, or red (looks much better in real life.) Drop the mud-flaps, go with 4-keys.... Go with fixed-towbar, apparently the removable one ceases-up and ends up pretty much fixed anyway.... Is there an option for reversing camera only, without any sensors.... I think this is an option on the Beach.... and is the cheapest option, and is all you need IMO..... Don't think I would bother with safe either.... plenty of good hiding places....

Just do it!!
Having just ordered last weekend, I've been through the same deliberations and added 'essentials' that I didn't know I needed! I wouldn't bother with the sports wheel for the reasons others have said also not convinced by high beam assist or mud flaps, because I think they spoil the look - personal tastes though...the HD anti roll bars aren't on the consumer configurator but certainly are on the dealer version and I certainly went for them because of puking kids .. so anything to help!
Also I found a couple of discrepancies between either the price list and the dealer configurator or the consumer configurator and the dealer version
Just do it ... you know it makes sense! :upsidedown

Lets watch this space...

The comfort plus lights are all in the cab space. Mood lighting in the doors mainly

On the Ocean the kitchen light strip, cupboard lights and automatic light in the wardrobe are all standard and don't need to be specified.

Why comfort plus must be ordered with the shower is beyond me.

Just swimming against the tide for a moment, if I was ordering again, I would definitely tick the box for paddles. DSG is good, but it does sometimes get fooled by road or traffic conditions and an instant override to help it hop up or down a gear would be much slicker than pulling the DSG lever into manual mode, changing gear and returning the lever to auto. It's only a few £ more than the multi function steering wheel.

I went for the reversing camera and am glad I did, visibility out of the back of the van is poor, (cupboards, headrests etc), and if an obstacle is immediately behind the van, you could miss it in the admittedly vast door mirrors. It's also supposed to reduce your insurance premium a bit.

Awning is cheaper spec'ed as a factory extra rather than added later.

Just swimming against the tide for a moment, if I was ordering again, I would definitely tick the box for paddles. DSG is good, but it does sometimes get fooled by road or traffic conditions and an instant override to help it hop up or down a gear would be much slicker than pulling the DSG lever into manual mode, changing gear and returning the lever to auto. It's only a few £ more than the multi function steering wheel.
You make a good point if consider the cost makes it one of the cheapest add ons known to man.
But on the other hand, my experience differs on my current car. They have never got me out of any situation and actually, the times I've tried to use them for the sake of it I'm bored with the concept before mastering the optimal revs for a decent change. Horses for courses on this potential saving itguy.

Also ordered and taken delivery recently. I've got a Beach so can't comment on the Ocean specifics...but for what it's worth I'd definitely stick with the reversing camera, my first van and not sure how I'd have coped without it.

Flappy paddles and upgraded MFD aren't essential. I never use the paddles on my DSG Golf GTD and flicking the gear lever into manual is not only instant (it's like 30cms away) bit more intuitive.

One of my kids has a history of car sickness and no problems so far without HD roll bars...but if you're going to have people sleeping up top and down below they might help with rocking at night (we were surprised how much you feel the kids moving upstairs).

Magnetic torch is actually really cool.

My hardest decision was Grey Vs White. Glad I went with white, it is definitely special enough and opens up all sorts of options for adding decals, wraps or even getting bottom half resprayed to get two tone effect with your own choice of colours.

Wish I'd ordered mud flaps.

Your spec looks good, get the order in!!

Ok, need to sleep on it then I think.

Useful info on the comfort plus lighting too, v helpful.

My wife isn’t convinced we need a camera but really wants the factory fit shower for neatness, so can see us just getting it anyway.

We’re ditching the safe box as can add it later if we feel we need it.

I am tempted to ditch the mudflaps but my wife thinks they are a good idea and will keep the van a bit cleaner. Might also be helpful if we do go for candy white.

Sorry to keep having so many opinions on your thread itguy (its just you are asking a lot of stuff thats in my head too).
In the case of mud flaps, do they really do very much other than change the look? again I have them on my current car and didn't on the previous one (2 evoques). Did one stay cleaner than the other?...not on your nelly.

I would definitely tick the box for paddles

My wife golf has the paddles (I'm sure if she even knows that they are there she doesn't know what they are for). It's easy to tell who's been driving the car based on the black residue on the front wheels! Mostly I use them for early down shifting in the golf, and I found the lever in the T6 very clumsy . I didn't realize how much I actually use them until I was testing Calis, and none of the demo models had them. The ~£100 will probably be recovered in saved brake pads fairly quicky and as @Sheffield10 said, the system does sometimes get fooled so it's nice to have the intuitive override. I ticked the box.

On the comfort lighting I think, but not certain, that the lights within the boot lid are part of that option. So when we arrived in a field in the dark and needed to faff about with bags in the boot it was really useful - not sure how much lighting you get there otherwise.

Personal opinion of course but not sure how the gear lever is clumsy, you just flick it towards you to enter manual and flick it back to return to D. You can also flick down into Sport, if you know you've got a need for more revs. That said the option for the paddles is a few pounds so if doubt...

Personal opinion of course but not sure how the gear lever is clumsy, you just flick it towards you to enter manual and flick it back to return to D. You can also flick down into Sport, if you know you've got a need for more revs. That said the option for the paddles is a few pounds so if doubt...

I guess what I meant is after getting used to using them, the trusty old stick felt clumsy. Sort of how I now find it a bit clumsy changing channel on the telly with out a remote. Lazy!! lol Also, with my short attention span, I also kept forgetting to take it out of manual after using the stick. The paddles can be used straight from auto mode and when it senses me daydreaming it goes back to auto on it's own.

If things like flappy paddles & mudflaps are items that would force you to consider other items then personally I'd just leave them off the list as you can always add them later on. Granted you'd pay a little more to have this done but it's not like a make or break item like 4mo for example.

Back