Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

thinking of a Cali no that expensive for the spec

I've bought a van & going to get it converted for the VED reason & also need it to be specified differently due to wanting to retain a large dog box.

It's been an interesting experience & learnt lots.

Two other things that interested us in convos, when we were first looking at vans:

1. Possibility of having a LWB. Adds (from memory) a very useful 13 inches. However, due to the limitations of seat fixing point positions in the LWB T5, it was a problem to have that space added at the back, ie for extra gear storage, rather than in the living area.

2. Possibility of a high-top. Swings and roundabouts vs pop-top of course, but we could see the benefit of hi-top for certain modes of touring, especially winter.

But after we did the sums, choosing to go Cali became quite easy for us just on the finances.

Whilst pricing a Danbury at NEC last year, I asked why do people buy Californias rather than their brand. He replied 'californias are for poseurs'. Made my mind up there and then. Does that make me shallow?

I've bought a van & going to get it converted for the VED reason & also need it to be specified differently due to wanting to retain a large dog box.

It's been an interesting experience & learnt lots.
Have you registered the van already?
Remember that it is a legal (DVLA) requirement that it is correctly registered as a campervan/motorhome at which time they'might' require the conversion costs and as the new VED rate applies to Vehicle list price plus accessories list price you may find that no saving is made on VED.

No doubt that any loop holes will be plugged if not done already. New VED is stated to be to increase Tax revenues.

Can't register as a campervan until the conversion is done, and then only if it qualifies. Not all conversions do.

Have you registered the van already?
Remember that it is a legal (DVLA) requirement that it is correctly registered as a campervan/motorhome at which time they'might' require the conversion costs and as the new VED rate applies to Vehicle list price plus accessories list price you may find that no saving is made on VED.

No doubt that any loop holes will be plugged if not done already. New VED is stated to be to increase Tax revenues.

I'm guessing the base vehicle will be first registered as a normal Van under £40k and taxed accordingly. The conversion & what it costs should have no effect on the future tax? I don't think anyone would do the conversion first and then do first registration would they?

If I bought a £39,999.00 car and after registration spent £1.50 on it I would not expect the tax to go up.
Anyway I can't see how it would work - I would say I did the conversion myself & it cost me £0.50 the labour was free and I had all the parts laying around.

I'm guessing the base vehicle will be first registered as a normal Van under £40k and taxed accordingly. The conversion & what it costs should have no effect on the future tax? I don't think anyone would do the conversion first and then do first registration would they?

If I bought a £39,999.00 car and after registration spent £1.50 on it I would not expect the tax to go up.
Anyway I can't see how it would work - I would say I did the conversion myself & it cost me £0.50 the labour was free and I had all the parts laying around.
As you say "I'm guessing" it highlights how easy it is to presume that it's OK to converted with no addition cost risks.
If you read the DVLA Guide it says in there that as part of the process receipts may be required.

I don't know the answers merely highlighting possible pitfalls in trying to avoid VED hikes. Some may call it Tax evasion.

As you say "I'm guessing" it highlights how easy it is to presume that it's OK to converted with no addition cost risks.
If you read the DVLA Guide it says in there that as part of the process receipts may be required.

I don't know the answers merely highlighting possible pitfalls in trying to avoid VED hikes. Some may call it Tax evasion.
By "guessing" I meant I presume the person buying the van would do this, I wasn't guessing what the DVLA might do.

Its the cost at first registration that counts - so makes sense to register it as a van then have the conversion done as a separate exercise.

The business about wanting receipts always used to be to help prove that the conversion work had been carried out - a camper van used to be (it might still be) cheaper to insure & subject to higher speed limits than a commercial van.

a camper van used to be (it might still be) cheaper to insure & subject to higher speed limits than a commercial van.

Yes re. the speed limits. A Transporter-type panel van (being a goods vehicle under 7.5t laden) is limited to 50mph on a single carriageway, whereas a Cali (being a motorhome/motor caravan, under 3.05t unladen) is allowed to do 60. Makes no sense at all that I can see.

Registered in Jan, so subject to current ved rates. Any conversion would make no difference.

There are set guidelines for what would make it a dvla-recognised campervan (fixed water, bed & cooking facilities). Mine will be similar to a Beach but with no back seats, so I wouldn't be able to change the logbook.

Be summer time before it all becomes clear when a post April '17 van is bought & converted.

Anyone buying a van needs be careful with the list price not the purchase price being the VED rate calculator.
Looking at the Transporter range the higher spec base vans are over £40k.

Think I'd just have a Cali & pay the extra £1700 or so VED over 6 years. After purchase its only a couple of hundred more a year after all.

Be summer time before it all becomes clear when a post April '17 van is bought & converted.

Anyone buying a van needs be careful with the list price not the purchase price being the VED rate calculator.
Looking at the Transporter range the higher spec base vans are over £40k.

Think I'd just have a Cali & pay the extra £1700 or so VED over 6 years. After purchase its only a couple of hundred more a year after all.
And then it drops to about £140/year. Less than at present.

And then it drops to about £140/year. Less than at present.

And then I'll be paying more for my old one than others for their new ones! Oh well, fair enough I spose if it's meant to be related to environmental issues as an older engine will probably pollute more.o_O

Back