Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thinking of getting a Roof box

CALI FATE

CALI FATE

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I am planning a 6 week summer tour - meandering down towards Greece via the previous Yugo states. Thinking i might need a bit more room and stash our bits / bobs on the roof - i have read the existing threads about weight limits etc, but wonder if anyone has some experience of the best style for improved / compromised fuel efficiency and practicality of use (getting up there).

I like the look of the Thule / Kamei boxes, and thinking if i got a shorter stubbier unit and mounted it towards the back it should be clearer of the airflow - or is that just wishful thinking. Plus, if the weight is nearer the back it might be better for the manual pop roof - still might need to prop it tho.

Cheers

I used a cheap box on our Scotland trip on my beach. I found the bars do make a difference to MPG, but the roof box didn't decrease it significantly more. I had the box near to the back to enable it to still pop etc. The VW roof bars are quite high but I dont really have any insight into lower ones being better.

The biggest challenges for me was that we had to empty it each time we stopped to enable the roof to go up and even when empty it was a slightly saggy on the rear. We also had to carry a ladder with us. I was too worried to use it propped as it was so hard to move I was scared of warping the roof. 50kg limit for me is when its down, when empty you have about 20kg of bar and box and thats too much for the struts imho.

More than welcome to borrow the bars and box if you don't want to invest.

09bd46e98d497d4bde5d7065fd50963b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a cheap box on our Scotland trip on my beach. I found the bars do make a difference to MPG, but the roof box didn't decrease it significantly more. I had the box near to the back to enable it to still pop etc. The VW roof bars are quite high but I dont really have any insight into lower ones being better.

The biggest challenges for me was that we had to empty it each time we stopped to enable the roof to go up and even when empty it was a slightly saggy on the rear. We also had to carry a ladder with us. I was too worried to use it propped as it was so hard to move I was scared of warping the roof. 50kg limit for me is when its down, when empty you have about 20kg of bar and box and thats too much for the struts imho.

More than welcome to borrow the bars and box if you don't want to invest.
Thanks Matt - thats a very kind offer

Thats the sort of box i had in mind - shorter / stubbier than these slick ski type boxes. I was thinking about mounting it right back - allowing room for the hatch to open but not much more. That would put it above the scissor units and therefore the most stable / strong part of the roof - i accept your thoughts on the total weight on the roof, but i was thinking id put mainly light items up there - clothing etc. Thanks

That roof box was a gumtree buy for about £50, cheap as chips. It is pretty low tech, I carried a small pole inside to prop it open and it is lockable.

That pic shows it as far back as we could get it. I had a cadac SC2, 4kg gas bottle and our lightweight awning up there so quite heavy things, which with the bars and box was about 45kg. Near the end of the trip some of the heavier things went back in the rear of the van whilst travelling (easier to put them outside) and we put our dirty washing bag and similar up there.

The T6 struts may be a bit stronger than the T5.

I guess you already thought about it: rear box(es)/bags aren‘t an option for you?

IMG_4040.JPG

I have participated in several threads about this theme in here – you might find some. Otherwise just ask into it ;-)

Having a Thule Motion 900 XL on the low Thule roof bars is a perfect solution – it fits very nice on the cali. And it takes really a lot of stuff. Acess is with a slightly modified telescopic ladder that fits in the drawer under the bench (there I have all my camping bits - because that I need first when on a new sport, and its packed last when leaving – but that's another story). I have had no problems with the roof to function properly or stay up with the full box.

Don't move I to far back if you carry bikes on the tailgate.

Consumption is not affected that much I think, for me, the only the downsides are: I can not go into the carwash, the high limits parking, ferry, etc and you have no room for the solar panel.

EDIT: We have an OCEAN- If you have a BEACH or COAST with a manual roof, you might meet a challenge to keep the roof up, if the box is full. A supportive stick might be of help?

Last edited:
That roof box was a gumtree buy for about £50, cheap as chips. It is pretty low tech, I carried a small pole inside to prop it open and it is lockable.

That pic shows it as far back as we could get it. I had a cadac SC2, 4kg gas bottle and our lightweight awning up there so quite heavy things, which with the bars and box was about 45kg. Near the end of the trip some of the heavier things went back in the rear of the van whilst travelling (easier to put them outside) and we put our dirty washing bag and similar up there.

The T6 struts may be a bit stronger than the T5.
I have no idea vs T5 but wintertime my T6 could not hold a roofbox and bars at all.

View attachment 27919

I have participated in several threads about this theme in here – you might find some. Otherwise just ask into it ;-)

Having a Thule Motion 900 XL on the low Thule roof bars is a perfect solution – it fits very nice on the cali. And it takes really a lot of stuff. Acess is with a slightly modified telescopic ladder that fits in the drawer under the bench (there I have all my camping bits - because that I need first when on a new sport, and its packed last when leaving – but that's another story). I have had no problems with the roof to function properly or stay up with the full box.

Don't move I to far back if you carry bikes on the tailgate.

Consumption is not affected that much I think, for me, the only the downsides are: I can not go into the carwash, the high limits parking, ferry, etc and you have no room for the solar panel.

EDIT: We have an OCEAN- If you have a BEACH or COAST with a manual roof, you might meet a challenge to keep the roof up, if the box is full. A supportive stick might be of help?
Hi - I’m having discussions on this at the moment and would really appreciate some advice!
im Planning on a large roof box for windsurf gear on a pop up which will always have the weight in it. The box is 27kg and it will prob go up to about 45kg with gear in it. I’m being advised an SCA roof (expensive!) and am Trying to establish the most robust and wide struts I can use? I understand 750N would be recommended. What is your experience and advice please? Thanks!

Hi - I’m having discussions on this at the moment and would really appreciate some advice!
im Planning on a large roof box for windsurf gear on a pop up which will always have the weight in it. The box is 27kg and it will prob go up to about 45kg with gear in it. I’m being advised an SCA roof (expensive!) and am Trying to establish the most robust and wide struts I can use? I understand 750N would be recommended. What is your experience and advice please? Thanks!
Are you having a van converted on a new Transporter or one you already own? If you’re buying new, I’d consider a new or used California Ocean over a conversion, unless the layout of the Ocean doesn’t suit your needs. The Ocean has a electric-hydraulic mechanism for the pop-top. I’ve successfully carried some heavy loads on the roof of my T6 Ocean and still operated the pop-top while camping. I did choose to lower it in some very strong winds once, as I felt adding some side loading might be pushing my luck. Apart from that it worked out well.
486BFC4B-45EA-4376-BBAC-C0B8BF620425.jpeg

I have no experience with weight on a non-hydraulic roof. As far as I have the knowledge, it can only carry a minimum of weight – it has to stay up, and you have to be able to lift it and take it down again. If you want to carry a large roof box, I would recommend a hydraulic system like on the California Ocean. Newer the less a liftable roof is not suited for more weight than 50 kg in total.

Hi, I’m have changed from a Thule Motion 800/XL box to a Surfbox Big Malibu https://surfbox.de/en/roof-boxes-sh...fers/big-malibu-roof-box-with-surfboard-rack/ as it is long enough to take windsurfing masts up to 490cm and my largest 8.6m sail, and also wide enough to take my wing foiling board inside and high enough to take the rolled wings inside the box on top of the board.
Weight of the box is 27kg so I need to be careful with total weight, but the roof on my 2016 Ocean was fine with the box mounted as far back as I can and all on one side so I just about have space for my paddle board on the other side on 150cm bars

Do you have a tow bar and not use it as a bike rack ? If yes how about a towbox built in Spain. A bit dear but has other advantages. I am looking to carry 2 expensive ebikes in it out of sight and dry there are some nice colours and appears very modern. See YouTube for more

I have no experience with weight on a non-hydraulic roof. As far as I have the knowledge, it can only carry a minimum of weight – it has to stay up, and you have to be able to lift it and take it down again. If you want to carry a large roof box, I would recommend a hydraulic system like on the California Ocean. Newer the less a liftable roof is not suited for more weight than 50 kg in total.
Thanks. So decided to go for a t6.1 still looking for the lowest profile roof rack though due to beach height restrictions ‍♂️

Thanks. So decided to go for a t6.1 still looking for the lowest profile roof rack though due to beach height restrictions ‍♂️

I have seen some mount roof bars on "self-made" mount very close to the roof. That is one way to go. The genuine VW roof rack (logo) is very tall and does not look good in my opinion. So we went to the Thule system.

Thule recommends mounting (Wingbar) on Rapid System 751 - but you can stressfree select the Rapid System 753, as they are lower and looks better on the car. Despite what you select, you will also need the Rapid fixpoint 3057.

We bought:
• Thule Wing Bar Black 127 cm
• Rapid System 753
• Rapid Fixpoint 3057
• Thule Motion XXL

I have seen some mount roof bars on "self-made" mount very close to the roof. That is one way to go. The genuine VW roof rack (logo) is very tall and does not look good in my opinion. So we went to the Thule system.

Thule recommends mounting (Wingbar) on Rapid System 751 - but you can stressfree select the Rapid System 753, as they are lower and looks better on the car. Despite what you select, you will also need the Rapid fixpoint 3057.

We bought:
• Thule Wing Bar Black 127 cm
• Rapid System 753
• Rapid Fixpoint 3057
• Thule Motion XXL
Thanks for the advice. I actually need a system that is no higher than 5cm off the roof centre so am really struggling!

Thanks for the advice. I actually need a system that is no higher than 5cm off the roof centre so am really struggling!

Then you are in for some custom made mounts and bars :)

With a VW bike rack fitted you can install a lightweight (but secure) box. There are a number of ideas, but the aluminium boxes seem to be the better option to me. Also a bit more convenient to access. Weight limit is 60kG like the roof.

A consideration for me will be what is better for travelling.....an increased height with a roof box or an increased length via a rack box?

Using my experience in the UK only, it appears that more and more places are placing height limits on access via solid height barriers to restrict the threat of the white whale mob. Which are likely to go to the same places that I would like to go to. Disappointing but an increasing fact of life now.

Ferries are going to charge more for a longer vehicle. But I would get around this by collapsing bike rack for the ferry with the box temporarily inside the cabin, then reassembling the box on the rack once on the other side. I'd then store the removed box in the awning when out for day trips.

I do have dual solar fitted to the roof so this does somewhat sway my opinion now, but I had already drawn this conclusion previous to the solar being fitted.

It is not very hard. With theT bolts from the feet kit, drill holes in any bars you like and put distances in alu or use a spare nut or two between the bars and roof.

Back