Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thinking of going two tone - wrap vs respray?

Steve39

Steve39

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
When we ordered our Beach we were seriously tempted by the two tone paint options...but the colour combos weren't quite what we wanted. So we went for Candy White and put the money aside to pay for a wrap or respray post delivery.

We picked the new van up last week and I've spoken to a body shop about the respray option and almost ready to pull the trigger...but it feels like a BIG step on a new van so thought I'd gauge opinion on a few things first. Also we've ever done anything like this before...

First, wrap or respray? What are the pros and cons? Not too worried about price (wrap is cheaper but not hugely). My thinking is respray might look better and will obviously wear better. Wrap can be undone. Anything else I should consider? I know some (e.g. Wrinkly Ninja) have gone respray and others (e.g. Gazellio) have gone for a wrap. What was your thinking?

Second, would a respray (or wrap) have any negative impact? Warranty? Insurance? Resale?

Last, am I mad even considering this on a new van?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I’m interested in this too. I feel a little bit like ‘white van man’. I’ve been considering mimicking VW’s two colour scheme but with a wrap, but wonder whether the edge of the wrap will be prone to damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One or the other, I think re spray has an impact on your bodywork/paint warranty. Few guys on T6 forum chatting about it. Might be worth looking into.
What colour have you opted for??

Cheers, will have a dip into the T6 forum as well. Hoping those on here who have gone for it will chip in.

Respray would be done by VW approved body shop so was hoping it wouldn't effect the warranty.

Not 100% decided on colour but leaning towards something old, something blue...possibly VW Neptune Blue.

Cheers, will have a dip into the T6 forum as well. Hoping those on here who have gone for it will chip in.

Respray would be done by VW approved body shop so was hoping it wouldn't effect the warranty.

Not 100% decided on colour but leaning towards something old, something blue...possibly VW Neptune Blue.
Have you tried looking at some of the Audi RS colours? Some of them would suit the lower half of a van for sure. Some of the Porsche colours are awesome as well.

I love the look of the two tone black/indium grey VW offer at the moment.
However, it’s an expensive colour option and wondered what the cost would be to order Indium Grey and wrap the black to create the two tone...?

Interested to hear negatives of wrapping

Are you gonna do the whole van or just the bottom half ?

If its just the bottom half i think i would wrap it depending on price,
you could have a colour change in a few years.

Are you gonna do the whole van or just the bottom half ?

If its just the bottom half i think i would wrap it depending on price,
you could have a colour change in a few years.
Just the bottom half, so same as VW two tone options. Ours would be white top and possibly T2 Neptune Blue on bottom.

As I'm typing this I'm realising I'm not bothered about being able to change colours in a few years. I think the attraction with the wrap is being able to revert to original state...one of the reasons I asked about possible resale issues with a respray using a non California colour.

Pc of the Neptune blue
9cd7f967cb83c6b13205628938769da9.jpg

I would wrap it.

I would only consider a spray finish to the bottom half if you intended to keep the van for a very long time.

Sorry but personally I would not consider buying a 2nd hand California if it had been resprayed.

Sorry but personally I would not consider buying a 2nd hand California if it had been resprayed.
Yes i agree but this is a new van resprayed purely for cosmetic reasons.

Yes i agree but this is a new van resprayed purely for cosmetic reasons.

I appreciate that it's a new van only being resprayed for cosmetic reasons but all I'm saying is that a respray could possibly effect the value or the potential market if you were to sell at 2/3 years old.

If I were in the market to buy a 2 year old van, I would not even consider buying a van that had been resprayed.

Appreciate the honesty 2haw, and I'd be interested to know if others feel the same.

We plan to keep the van long term (at least 5 years)...but you just never know.

It's hard because I want to personalise the van for us to enjoy it, rather than worrying about the next person. At the same time I don't want to shot myself in the foot.

Seems like classic risk vs reward. The respray gives us the exact van we want but it's a risk. Wrap is safer but not the perfect van we want.

Appreciate the honesty 2haw, and I'd be interested to know if others feel the same.

It's hard because I want to personalise the van for us to enjoy it, rather than worrying about the next person. At the same time I don't want to shot myself in the foot.

Seems like classic risk vs reward. The respray gives us the exact van we want but it's a risk. Wrap is safer but not the perfect van we want.

What puts one person off may cause another to buy. Quality of the paint job will be critical. After 5 years other factors such as mileage and condition will play a big part in value and saleability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although I have no first hand experience I do know a few people who has wrapped their cars only to find that on removal it’s damaged the paintwork pretty badly. For that reason alone I don’t think I’d risk it.

If you don’t intend selling the van in the short term then it won’t matter. But I agree that I wouldn’t buy a resprayed van, I may suspect it’s hiding something. If you were selling to a dealer they only value off what the book tells them and if the colour is not listed they will probably offer lower. If you order a factory 2 tone then you should get some of the cost back on resale.

It’s your van and I say do what makes you happy, so if you fancy a respray go for it and post some before and after photos.

For what it’s worth, it wouldn’t bother me if a used van had been resprayed, so as long as the reason was like yours and not because of a defect or damage...save for the roof corrosion!

You can mitigate some of the risk here (painting route) by making a date stamped video of your van outside the paint shop just before it goes in for surgery. Show the bodywork is undamaged and then retain a dated receipt for the work. Any potential purchaser can be shown these and feel confident the work was done for purely cosmetic reasons.

We've got a plain white van and it is a little ... boring compared to the new two tone ones. This really is a first world problem isn't it!! Just out of interest, if I were to think about getting half wrapped, how much roughly does this cost? I would like a nice heritage colour on the bottom, like a duck egg blue or sage green. I hope my husband isn't reading this ...!

Another item to consider - the v5c lists the primary colour of your vehicle as the bottom half on a two tone. If you paint the bottom half, I suspect you may need to get your v5c updated as well.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Think I'm going to go for the respray option. Decided not to worry too much about the resale. I reckon it might be more of an issue selling to a dealer than if I was to sell via this site.

Bit concerned that a couple of people wouldn't consider buying a resprayed van even if it was only done for cosmetic purposes but I do like the advice to take some steps to mitigate the resale risk by being able to evidence that was the reason. Will make sure I do before and after pics and get some paperwork from the body shop.

Sounds like I'd need to tell insurer and DVLA, which isn't a problem. Haven't been able to establish if it would effect the warranty but going to try and ask VW.

Am I missing anything else?

For those that have asked about cost a respray is ball park £1500 (more for metallic). Wrap seems to vary a lot, I've seen prices between £600 and
up to a £1000 mentioned but haven't actually had any quotes myself.

Will let you all know how it goes!!

Steve

Another item to consider - the v5c lists the primary colour of your vehicle as the bottom half on a two tone. If you paint the bottom half, I suspect you may need to get your v5c updated as well.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Not in our case, I was a bit surprised it is down as white and wondered whether to tell DVLA!

Personally I would go for a respray of the lower part in one of California official colors (possibly made by VW), non official colors or wrapping make the Cali look like a conversion van. Unless Neptune blue means something for you.. what about Acapulco?

Back