Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

This might be a long shot. Who is familiar with the Tonbridge area?

Ocean Spirit

Ocean Spirit

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
God willing I will be picking up my T6 from SMG Tonbridge close to Christmas. How close to and which side of christmas seems to be unpredictable from what I have read here about the speed of build/delivery. I get that and it's almost besides the point except, the weather/traffic around my pick up could be almost anything. This is the UK right?

Rest assured, if the call comes in that I can arrange pick up in 2017, provided this isn't after the 20th of December (in which case I may find some restraint to get a 2018 registered Cali) there will be no extra sleeps, no leave it till the week end etc...
No no I'll be up to Tonbridge like a shot. Even if it does turn out to be 2018 the same applies.

What I am prepared to do is hang around in Tonbridge to avoid any busy traffic, limit the chance of gritting lorries and all those things that you don't normally give too much thought to on your daily drive. I know it sounds anal and yep it probably is.... but I've had 2 new cars registered in March and got sprayed in grit in the first week this resulting in getting a couple of stone chips from the start.

I'm keen to change my fortune at the outset this time around. I know it wont be long before I go ..oh well, can't not drive it because....

So easy question :rolleyes: at last!!!
Where is a good place to sneak off the SMG forecourt, get through relatively calm traffic and park up if I hit a dodgy time of day for those tearing into non existent gaps n the traffic etc?
Maybe grab a meal or something?
:thanks

Avoid Tunbridge Wells like the plague, morning and evening rush hours are a pig and everyone seems to have a higher priority than anyone else. You could consider going to Hadlow which isn't too far away or the Hop Farm at Beltring.

In my experience the traffic in and around Tonbridge is rarely that calm. However, in order to get to the various "good places" you would have to leave Tonbridge, so be brave. Depending on which direction you intend to go you could try:

1. Knole Park at Sevenoaks - National Trust
2. Bewl reservoir.
3. Scotney Castle and Gardens.
4. Batemans - National Trust - Rudyard Kipling's house.
5. Ashdown Park Hotel, Forrest Row.
6. The Castle Inn, Chiddingstone.

They are all lovely places to visit but frankly, if I were heading back to Hampshire from Tonbridge I would avoid the M25 at all costs and take a slow drive across country stopping for a slap up full afternoon tea at the Ashdown Park Hotel.

image.jpeg

It would be a lovely drive and I can thoroughly recommend the afternoon tea. You need to book it before hand.

In my experience the traffic in and around Tonbridge is rarely that calm.
The A21 between the M25 and Tonbridge is a decent road - rarely congested. At the junction of the two roads is your namesake's country pad - Chevening.

Park up by the church, and walk up the escarpment of the North Downs for fabulous views across Kent.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Overnight at the Camping and Caravanning Club site at Crowborough. Play to your hearts content with your new cali.

In between playing, slide off to the nearby Crowborough Cross for much needed food and drink.

After a brilliant nights sleep, westwards to the A23 then take the A272 cross country to Winchester . A lovely drive with the added bonus of passing within 200 yards of SMG Cowfold should anything need attending to on the way.

Sounds exciting. You might be surprised and it arrive early. Recent orders seem to be being fulfilled a lot sooner than anticipated.

If you're heading south and then west, you could use the A21 towards Pembury (the bypass works are nearly complete and this is much better now) - you can avoid most of Tunbridge Wells via the A264 (don't travel rush hour though - off peak it's fine) and then head out via Frant on the A267. This is a beautiful road and is a great drive.

You've then got loads of options.

Join A272 and head west towards Haywards Heath and on.
Continue to Lewes and take the scenic (but slow) B roads and A roads parallel with the A27
Or the A27 (but then you've got Worthing/Chichester frustration)

I'd take any of these over the M25 though.

Never believe it, but Tonbridge Wells is the place in the UK where gritter lorries are imported, stored and tested 24 hours a day - even during the summer. Its going to be the devils own job getting your new California out of the town unscathed.

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone.
This forum is an absolute gem.
I'm particularly tempted by the tea at Ashdown Park or Going to Crowborough as they are both more or less in the right direction. Then onto Haywards Heath A272.

Avoiding Tunbridge Wells is key all round then not helped by a previous episode of mine...but thats a whole other story.

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone.
This forum is an absolute gem.
I'm particularly tempted by the tea at Ashdown Park or Going to Crowborough as they are both more or less in the right direction. Then onto Haywards Heath A272.

Avoiding Tunbridge Wells is key all round then not helped by a previous episode of mine...but thats a whole other story.
And not visit the Wetherspoons there, the old opera house is amazing.

To new van owners
New van choice
Grey or white ???

You may want to visit the new Go Outdoors store just around the corner from SMG Tonbridge and pick up a 904 gas cylinder and any other camping essentials on your list.

You may want to visit the new Go Outdoors store just around the corner from SMG Tonbridge and pick up a 904 gas cylinder and any other camping essentials on your list.
Ahhh
Cracking idea!! Thanks!

Never believe it, but Tonbridge Wells is the place in the UK where gritter lorries are imported, stored and tested 24 hours a day - even during the summer. Its going to be the devils own job getting your new California out of the town unscathed.
I'm getting really scared now ........no sleep for me tonight, I have a feeling I'm going to dream that I'm buried up to my neck in gritting salt whilst stood on the roof of my Cali at a red traffic light in Tonbridge Wells.

Gladly,
Tom and ???

You could always ask them to deliver it to cowfold instead, all part of the same company, just a suggestion.

You could always ask them to deliver it to cowfold instead, all part of the same company, just a suggestion.
Yes that crossed my mind but have stuck with Tonbridge which shouldn't have been an issue had it not been for the house move timing.

Just get it detailed when it's home, the amount of lacquer applied to modern vehicles today is nuts, German cars have the worst orange peel of all.

Last edited:
Thats a good thing in my book :thumb

Indeed, if our 2012 Cali that's lived through 6 Swedish winters can look like new, I think your new one will enure the drive through the home counties, good luck and enjoy.

Tom, Clare, Ben, Jack and Meg. He will remember us and the bright yellow van he sold us. I don't suppose many families bring their dog along for a test drive...

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Hi Tom,
passed on your regards to Martin who was happy to hear from you.:thumb

Back