Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thoughts after a long trip through part of France and Italy

Flower Power

Flower Power

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
I will try to be brief while sharing some thoughts after our trip which ended today. From Germany to Strasbourg, predictable smooth ride on autobahns. Travel between Strasbourg and Dijon, Lyon areas very pleasant and plenty of good campings in park like settings. Almost empty and cheep. (Around 23 -25 euros for a van, 2 people, electricity and 2 dogs.). Provance: (Nimes, Orange, Arles areas) a disaster! Crowds, crowds, crowds, mostly no vacancies, campgrounds neglected, very uneven pitches and size of 3 car parking spaces it seems. One day we spent from 11am to 7 pm hunting for campgrounds. Complete! Everywhere and they have laughed at us for no reservations. If I had reserved any of them would not want to stay in any of them anyway. Glowing reviews on the internet but completely opposite impressions after arriving at them. Who wrote that? The owners?

We slept at the paid A7 motorways in large rest areas with facilities. I confirmed with Gandarmes that it is legal everywhere in France. Roof up is also OK. They have just warned me that crime is rampant and do not leave vans out of site. Even running for coffee or bathroom. Suggested that one of us stays always in the van. Sad to hear that from the Gandarmes. This all very much shortened our Provance stay. Decided to go to Italy.
Then shock.... a Mont Blanc tunnel one way is 74 euros. !! Tried to argue that this is under 2 meters van, like a car (54 euros) but no chance to win with an Italian attendant. Motorhome it still was to her.

Italy.... delightfully, felt so m uch safer an d better organised. Better coffee too. Campgrounds first class! However the rain chased us out back home to Bavaria.

The best thing on the trip was to have "Beep & Go" chip on the windscreen

Thanks for the write up.
I too always sleep roof up along the paid motorways in France , great aires.

Whereabout did you go in Italy from the Mont Blanc tunnel? Val d’Aosta? Liguria ? Piedmont Barolo? Lakes?

I will try to be brief while sharing some thoughts after our trip which ended today. From Germany to Strasbourg, predictable smooth ride on autobahns. Travel between Strasbourg and Dijon, Lyon areas very pleasant and plenty of good campings in park like settings. Almost empty and cheep. (Around 23 -25 euros for a van, 2 people, electricity and 2 dogs.). Provance: (Nimes, Orange, Arles areas) a disaster! Crowds, crowds, crowds, mostly no vacancies, campgrounds neglected, very uneven pitches and size of 3 car parking spaces it seems. One day we spent from 11am to 7 pm hunting for campgrounds. Complete! Everywhere and they have laughed at us for no reservations. If I had reserved any of them would not want to stay in any of them anyway. Glowing reviews on the internet but completely opposite impressions after arriving at them. Who wrote that? The owners?

We slept at the paid A7 motorways in large rest areas with facilities. I confirmed with Gandarmes that it is legal everywhere in France. Roof up is also OK. They have just warned me that crime is rampant and do not leave vans out of site. Even running for coffee or bathroom. Suggested that one of us stays always in the van. Sad to hear that from the Gandarmes. This all very much shortened our Provance stay. Decided to go to Italy.
Then shock.... a Mont Blanc tunnel one way is 74 euros. !! Tried to argue that this is under 2 meters van, like a car (54 euros) but no chance to win with an Italian attendant. Motorhome it still was to her.

Italy.... delightfully, felt so m uch safer an d better organised. Better coffee too. Campgrounds first class! However the rain chased us out back home to Bavaria.

What tag was it you used? We used a Emovis tag on a recent France trip, it made the trip a joy!

What tag was it you used? We used a Emovis tag on a recent France trip, it made the trip a joy!
Sorry jumping in on someone else’s post but Blip & Go works in FR, IT and Spain as well. We used to have Emovis but switched after our first trip to Spain without it wasn’t much fun!

Thanks for the summary of your trip. It surprises me that you had such a hard time finding (decent) camp sites this time of year. Although I believe you! We always used to not book anything ahead when visiting France during the high season (july-august) but noticed last year that it was getting harder to find camp sites. But this was during the high season. In june I would think you'd have no problems.

Can I ask how long you planned/hoped to stay on each camp site? (We usually stay max 1 or 2 nights and per haps thats possible stil and the problem arises when you want to stay for longer?)

Firstly, I am really sorry you had a bad experience in Provence. We have travelled there twice now, we love it and it’s one of our go to destinations in France. We love Aix, Arles, St Remy Avignon as well as the Ardeche on the way down. We go in March when the weather is usually sunny but it is less crowded.

When were you there when everywhere was full?. The French had a major holiday around 15/5 ( Assension Day). We were in the Cinq Terra that weekend and had we not booked we would have been stuffed) - we had no idea and was just lucky as we had booked.

Some of the campsites in that region can be a bit hit and miss but that’s because they are always busy and seem to care slightly less. Our favourite is St Remy ( see photo). Avignon is fine, as is Tarrascon. Aix has tiny and bare pitches but facilities are fine and we spend most of our time in Aix when we visit. Cezanne’s studio is a delight !

Unfortunately Provence is extremely popular with the France and consequently requires more planning than you would normally expect for France in May.

I personally recommend it wholeheartedly but you have to pick your time of year and plan ahead.

As far as the MB tunnel is concerned - we have travelled into Italy via Switzerland ( you need a motorway permit and there are still tolls so is is a little cheaper but not much) but if you want to visit that part of Italy it is what it is, unless you fancy going over the top!

IMG_8214.jpeg

What is a ""Beep & Go" chip on the windscreen" ?

I read with interest your post and the informative replies as we are looking at a slow travel down to Aix-en-Provance to see a relative. The plan is to do this trip during September.
Questions: Is September a good time to go from the point of view of not being overly busy campsites, and therefore not essential to book, and possibly cooler weather. The map reader does not like heat.
Must order the Michelin map book of France.

Looking forward to your replies.

Chris.

What is a ""Beep & Go" chip on the windscreen" ?
You are probably aware that In France, Spain, Portugal, and Italy you have to pay to use the motorways/Auto Routes.

With a right-hand drive vehicle, the tolls can be a pain, particularly if you are driving on your own.

You can get an online account and a small sensor tag mounted on the spotty bit of the windscreen behind the mirror. The automatic toll booth (marked as "Télépéage" in France) communicates with the sensor and will charge your account and lift the barrier automatically allowing you to drive straight through. You then settle the account later on your return home.

It makes going through the tolls easier and very much quicker.

Emovis in the UK and Bip and Go on the continent are a couple of companies that provide these accounts.

Alan

1717769840823.png

Last edited:
Questions: Is September a good time to go from the point of view of not being overly busy campsites, and therefore not essential to book, and possibly cooler weather.
Looking forward to your replies.

Chris.

I would say yes, absolutely. It will be less busy and you won't need to book ahead. In the case of really popular sites (if those are what you want) you could always book ahead say 2-3 days while on route. I would however keep in mind that in september, some sites might be closing or at least some services (fresh bread, camping bar or restaurant) might be closed.

Back