Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thoughts on 6.1 Beach Tour

B

BikesandOcean

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi another update the beach tour does not have EHU, we are having to get it fitted as a after market option, very annoyed as it’s the only model that doesn’t have it, it also cost £1000 more than the beach camper and more to tax as it’s an mpv but if you need 7 seats or even 6 then it’s your only option, otherwise we would have gone for the beach camper with three seats and an extra but goy can only have two seats and an extra on the beach camper. All very annoying. and don’t get me started on the std equipment on the beach tour as it only just a bit more than a standard transporter! Basically it bench bed insulation and blinds and Leisure sure battery and inverter plus table and chairs ( that don’t fit into the van) all for £30k extra !! Problem with COVID as you have to buy these things almost unseen. Any way if you need 6/7 seats then what we have done is get EHU installed, gone to vangear and got their kombi kitchen, and then had a heater installed. And now it’s a very good flexible 6 seat camper. But in hindsight perhaps we could have got a multivan or Corvette we would have still got the seats and a lot more kit and paid less

I have a 2016 T6 Beach with 5 seats with the option of two more - which i think was the most popular configuration - especially in the UK - its a shame they have missed a trick with the 6.1 -

And on the face of it 15k MORE than the higher spec'd T6.

If I was in the market for a beach I'd buy that 2019 model with 4000 miles advertised in the classifieds section. It's got the extended warranty, hookup and you could probably get it within a week.

The only snag is that it's on the IOW.

I have a 2016 T6 Beach with 5 seats with the option of two more - which i think was the most popular configuration - especially in the UK - its a shame they have missed a trick with the 6.1 -
We have ordered a t6.1 beach camper with the 3 seater bench and have just got a spare seat from a t6.1 caravelle off eBay that will fit straight in and has the same fabric as ours.

you can’t order the extra seats now on the beach camper due to it being registered as a motor home, if you want 6 or 7 seats then the beach tour can be purchased as it isn’t registered as a motor home

I suspect it may relate to weight and emissions. But could be wrong.

I suspect it may relate to weight and emissions. But could be wrong.
No it’s to do with the Classification as a motor home for ved,I had it out with vw as I wanted to add an extra chair and couldn’t see why I could add it with a two seater bench but not the 3 seater bench, turns out maximum number for chairs allowed is five due to being classified as a motorhome for the ved, the tour is classified as car so it can have the 7 seats

No it’s to do with the Classification as a motor home for ved,I had it out with vw as I wanted to add an extra chair and couldn’t see why I could add it with a two seater bench but not the 3 seater bench, turns out maximum number for chairs allowed is five due to being classified as a motorhome for the ved, the tour is classified as car so it can have the 7 seats
I have a T6.1 Beach with 3seat bench and the V5 document states 5 seats.
I also have 2no captains chairs from my very first Beach and am extremely hesitant to ever install them, although it’s no different to my previous 2 Beaches!

That’s all very confusing when you can buy 6 berth motorhomes... the logic is lost on me... not sure if it is VW or DVLA...
Just seems incredibly frustrating for customers...

Hi another update the beach tour does not have EHU, we are having to get it fitted as a after market option, very annoyed as it’s the only model that doesn’t have it, it also cost £1000 more than the beach camper and more to tax as it’s an mpv but if you need 7 seats or even 6 then it’s your only option, otherwise we would have gone for the beach camper with three seats and an extra but goy can only have two seats and an extra on the beach camper. All very annoying. and don’t get me started on the std equipment on the beach tour as it only just a bit more than a standard transporter! Basically it bench bed insulation and blinds and Leisure sure battery and inverter plus table and chairs ( that don’t fit into the van) all for £30k extra !! Problem with COVID as you have to buy these things almost unseen. Any way if you need 6/7 seats then what we have done is get EHU installed, gone to vangear and got their kombi kitchen, and then had a heater installed. And now it’s a very good flexible 6 seat camper. But in hindsight perhaps we could have got a multivan or Corvette we would have still got the seats and a lot more kit and paid less

I thought it was possible to get a 6.1 camper with the three seat bench. You could later buy 2 extra seats and get the V5 amended.

I thought it was possible to get a 6.1 camper with the three seat bench. You could later buy 2 extra seats and get the V5 amended.
I’m not sure you can get more than 1 additional seat on a Beach Camper.

I’m not sure you can get more than 1 additional seat on a Beach Camper.
You can only get the additional single seat if you stick with the 2 seat bench.

I’ve got the 3 seat bench & 2 old captains chairs but the V5 states 5 seats so am reluctant to install them.

I’ve got the 3 seat bench & 2 old captains chairs but the V5 states 5 seats so am reluctant to install them.

Isn’t it fairly easy to get the V5 amended?

Isn’t it fairly easy to get the V5 amended?
I’ve no idea but I suspect it would affect the VED?

Both my 2 other Beaches stated 7 seats on the V5. First one bought as 7 seater, 2nd one just came with 5 seats.

Why not just get your V5c changed with DVLA. If they change it then inform your insurance and fit the seats. If they say No, then you will know.

I’ve no idea but I suspect it would affect the VED?

Both my 2 other Beaches stated 7 seats on the V5. First one bought as 7 seater, 2nd one just came with 5 seats.
No, it will not affect the VED if DVLA allow the change. The rate of VED is fixed at Registration.

Why not just get your V5c changed with DVLA. If they change it then inform your insurance and fit the seats. If they say No, then you will know.
Haven’t really had the need for the 7 seats due to Covid but kept the old seats just in case I needed them. I’ll consider contacting DVLA for the V5 change but haven’t bothered looking into it…
Any idea how?

I believe VW certify different California models with different options, including seat numbers.
Once certified VW will not supply the vehicle with extra Seats because the emissions levels will change and it would be illegal.
However, once registered there is nothing stopping the owner adding extra seats if DVLA and the Insurance company agree.
Future MOT emissions measurements would not be affected as they are static rather than real world driving measurements.

Haven’t really had the need for the 7 seats due to Covid but kept the old seats just in case I needed them. I’ll consider contacting DVLA for the V5 change but haven’t bothered looking into it…
Any idea how?
You just fill in the relevant section, an amendment, on your present V5c and send it to DVLA. You’ll get a new V5c with the seat number changed. Everything else remains the same.

Then tell your insurance company.

I got an SE changed to 6 seats by DVLA & a nice note from a friendly VW dealer stating that the additional seat was genuine vw, fitted according to their instructions to factory fitted seat rails. NFU were fine with that note & didn't need any sort of inspection re the modifications.

You do not want to have an accident with more people in the van than the V5 states.

This whole thing with the new Beach is a bit of a mess. We were thinking of buying new when they stopped selling the Beach in the UK, so we bit the bullet and bought a one year old one. Then they reintroduced it into the UK and at the time I wished I'd waited, but to get the spec I want I think would be complicated/impossible - 7 seats + kitchen + EHU. I could (obviously) live without the neat pull-out kitchen (I do now), but would need the 7 seats and want the EHU to keep the leisure battery topped up when camped, but it seems like that's difficult? Can you get the EHU if you only have one sliding door?

Anyway, very happy with my 2019, which does everything I can ask of it and more. Just confused why VW seem to have tried to please everyone with different versions of the Beach and ended up making it harder to spec! Too much choice!

This whole thing with the new Beach is a bit of a mess. We were thinking of buying new when they stopped selling the Beach in the UK, so we bit the bullet and bought a one year old one. Then they reintroduced it into the UK and at the time I wished I'd waited, but to get the spec I want I think would be complicated/impossible - 7 seats + kitchen + EHU. I could (obviously) live without the neat pull-out kitchen (I do now), but would need the 7 seats and want the EHU to keep the leisure battery topped up when camped, but it seems like that's difficult? Can you get the EHU if you only have one sliding door?

Anyway, very happy with my 2019, which does everything I can ask of it and more. Just confused why VW seem to have tried to please everyone with different versions of the Beach and ended up making it harder to spec! Too much choice!
With just 1 slider then you can fit the EHU socket in the standard Beach position, rear N/S panel. Would involve cutting a hole, but any competent Conversion company could do that.

It doesn't even seem like you can 'configure' a Beach on the UK's website, there's link but it keeps taking you back to the information page. Probably because the options are too complicated for their software! For seats:
1620814788249.png
It says the 3-seater bench is available for the Beach Camper, but not in combination with the swivel seat. Is it to do with the gas bottle storage on the Camper? I would have thought you could still get one additional seat in. And I can't see the EHU, is it option at all in the UK for the Tour?

Back