Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule 753 still the lowest profile option for T6.1?

Explorer

Explorer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi all
have read various threads - wondering if general consensus is Thule 753 are feet are still the lowest profile available? Trying to keep as close to 2m height as possible.

Had a look at some of the bespoke fittings - but not comfortable making/drilling mainly for safety reasons.
Just looking for a low profile option to hold a surfboard - and still fit in the garage!

thanks
Yv

Thanks for this - will definitely take a look at these

Try ND Racks?

Will take a look at these - thanks for the tip.

Try ND Racks?

They look good and must be the lowest profile that I have seen. Only downside is that they don’t have T-track slots on the top (but not an issue if you don’t need them), but guess this is how they are able to keep the height so low.

Hi,

I made a few sets of these if anyone is interested. They bolt onto the original Thule wingbars, and then onto the roof rails. Very low profile. From memory they add 38mm to the height in the center
Hi,

I made a few sets of these if anyone is interested. They bolt onto the original Thule wingbars, and then onto the roof rails. Very low profile. From memory they add 38mm to the height in the center

View attachment 81123
Would be interested in more details. What are they made from?

Hi,

Machined from high strength aluminium bar (6082 T6) plus stainless screws. No drilling needed for Thule wingbar 150 cm or 135 cm.
I sold some on ebay a while back but I have more sets available.

IMG_6153[2].JPG

Yes I have them. I have sold some through EBay at £40 plus £4 postage. But selling direct I can include the postage at £40

Regards

John

Just as a follow up I ended up going with the Yakima bars. Its a close fit!! One day I will maybe get the van lowered!

747B09E0-D032-43E6-8BE9-895C44FF7EBE.jpeg

Just out of curiosity: does anyone have an idea of how much fuel is saved by getting the lowest profiles? I understand it must have a positive effect on consumption, but does it matter all that much?

We drove 3000 kg with 2 boards on top of each other on standard VW bars. It seemed as if I was driving an appartement. No noise, and as far as I can tell not too much difference in consumption.

Just out of curiosity: does anyone have an idea of how much fuel is saved by getting the lowest profiles? I understand it must have a positive effect on consumption, but does it matter all that much?

We drove 3000 kg with 2 boards on top of each other on standard VW bars. It seemed as if I was driving an appartement. No noise, and as far as I can tell not too much difference in consumption.

I would say none, as a Cali has the aerodynamic qualities of a brick to start with.

Strangely when we drive to France / West Country with a fully laden roof (multiple boards, roofbox), we get far more miles out of a tank v no roof load. Never been able to work out why?

I would say none, as a Cali has the aerodynamic qualities of a brick to start with.

Strangely when we drive to France / West Country with a fully laden roof (multiple boards, roofbox), we get far more miles out of a tank v no roof load. Never been able to work out why?
Haha, that was exactly my impression too! Probably a longboard functions as a wing if you attach it close enough to the sun.

I developed some generic calculations for the California as part of my roofrack engineering project. I just used standard drag coefficients and some basic assumptions to get comparative figures.

I assumed a base case of 5000 miles at 60mph and concluded that a set of 150 cm wingbars will cost an extra £13 with fuel at £6 per gallon. My roofrack by comparision was £22 which would be expected because it is heavier construction, whereas other roofracks with "shall we say - dubious aero-dynamic properties" had a very significant cost. I am sure lower bars will be more aerodynamic, but the numbers are small with an aero design of bar.

As I have said on this site before, the biggest factor with fuel consumption is the headwind or tail wind. Since you can't measure this and it varies from day to day (and direction) it is rather pointless making comparisons over a short time duration.

Most likely you reduce speed with all that cargo and drives longer between stops than normal. Speed is the single most important factor when it comes to fuel efficiency

i found that years ago when towing caravans and in the end put it down to being able to drive for longer distances without roundabouts etc causing slowing down then getting back up to speed.
Different cars all had better mpg in France.

Lower non motorway road speed limits now will contribute to more mpg. France 50MPH UK 60MPH