Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

THULE 9383 BACKSPACE XT CARGO BOX FOR VELOSPACE XT

P

Philip carr

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi , has anyone fitted one of these Thule storage boxes to a T6 Cali with factory fitted 3 bike rack, just Ned to know if it will fit on the rack...?

This is a photo of the box7D9C3D4B-B4C5-46D4-88AD-3882FAB42993.png

I'm currently looking in to this option too. I've had a long chat with Thule and it seems the tailgate will open with carrier using the velospace XT3 carrier as this has an option to extend the angle from 50 degrees to 70 degrees. The question now is whether the box will fit under the factory fitted bike carrier (my aim is to use both). Apparently there needs to be at leat 802mm of clearance from the centre of the bumper (around where the sensors are) and the underside of the bike carrier. My van (T6) is in for repairs and so I'm now waiting to measure! Let me know if you've got any further. It seems like a great option for extra storage!

Hey Andrew,
I eventually went for the Thule easybag, which is collapsible and has a huge capacity, however a word of caution, once full it is very difficult to access the tailgate storage compartments and we found this reall restrictive, we settled for a Thule roofbox which is so secure, the electric roof opens as normal when full and it is easily accessible, we tour and do 3 night stays so we need to be versatile, the easybag fitted into the 3 bike VW carrier perfectly, good luck with the velospace rack ........

I'm currently looking in to this option too. I've had a long chat with Thule and it seems the tailgate will open with carrier using the velospace XT3 carrier as this has an option to extend the angle from 50 degrees to 70 degrees. The question now is whether the box will fit under the factory fitted bike carrier (my aim is to use both). Apparently there needs to be at leat 802mm of clearance from the centre of the bumper (around where the sensors are) and the underside of the bike carrier. My van (T6) is in for repairs and so I'm now waiting to measure! Let me know if you've got any further. It seems like a great option for extra storage!
18months have passed but I wondered if anyone else has this setup using the Thule Backspace XT cargo box (on the tow bar rack) with a VW tailgate rack also used?

Andrew mentioned needing 802mm of clearance from the bumper to the underside of the bike rack for the cargo box to fit - would anyone with a VW rack have a moment and be kind enough to measure, please? I dont have a VW bike rack yet but I’m leaning towards a cargo solution on the tow bar mount and bikes on the tailgate (cant use a roof box as will be carrying boards)

18months have passed but I wondered if anyone else has this setup using the Thule Backspace XT cargo box (on the tow bar rack) with a VW tailgate rack also used?

Andrew mentioned needing 802mm of clearance from the bumper to the underside of the bike rack for the cargo box to fit - would anyone with a VW rack have a moment and be kind enough to measure, please? I dont have a VW bike rack yet but I’m leaning towards a cargo solution on the tow bar mount and bikes on the tailgate (cant use a roof box as will be carrying boards)
I have the t5 style bike rack for my t6.1 that’s on order And also have the Thule velospace xt3 and backspace box, I saw some posts on a German forum showing that it fits under the rack fine

I’ll let you know when my van arrives hopefully end of this month beginning of next whether it’s actually does

yes it fits fine. I have the XT3 velospace and Backspace XT cargo box combo. Both fit fine under our t6 Cali tailgate rack.

Hi all,

I have this fitted as we speak. It does fit with a Quasimodo T6 bike rack, but you need to tilt the rack forward-back to fold the tailgate rack down.
Images attached.
Tailgate opens fine with the rack in place. Needs adjusting to the max tilt though.

3A42924C-F1CE-47A9-A8D4-D223470789DA.jpeg

67486F9E-00F5-46A3-9E2E-4BC5BD99DA65.jpeg

0CB42B89-67C9-4F83-A89A-C35BC42C6830.jpeg

Hi all,

I have this fitted as we speak. It does fit with a Quasimodo T6 bike rack, but you need to tilt the rack forward-back to fold the tailgate rack down.
Images attached.
Tailgate opens fine with the rack in place. Needs adjusting to the max tilt though.

Thanks for sharing these images, really useful as I am contemplating this set up.

@SusiBus , now carrying 30L water with the above setup could be problematic as Axle weight will be increased by Weight Carried X Distance from Axle.

@SusiBus , now carrying 30L water with the above setup could be problematic as Axle weight will be increased by Weight Carried X Distance from Axle.
Absolutely a very valid point.

We're about to do our first trip in ernest and being Mr Precaution, I've done a trial drive before hand. You can definitely feel/see the challenges on rear axle, and it being a little bit surfboard. Whilst we're in limit, we're also completely without water in the tank, with as much weight loaded forwards. (including the rear bench).

At the end of the day, the box needs to be for only the lightest and bulkiest items; bedding, rucksacks, etc. Everything else we've shoved as far forward as possible.

Hi all,

Images attached.

View attachment 80703

View attachment 80708

View attachment 80709
Hello I have a similar setup but I am struggling to see how to adapt the tilt of the box. Can you advise please? At present the boot will not open as the box is in the way.

Hello I have a similar setup but I am struggling to see how to adapt the tilt of the box. Can you advise please? At present the boot will not open as the box is in the way.
There’s a metal wire and it has two slots that you can connect it to, you just need to move it to the lower setting