Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule BackUp 900 fitted on vw bike rack

I did find this comment about it:

'the box had a really easy install system of which I only had to re drill two holes'.

Also here, there is a picture of how it fits to the cycle rack ( look at the adapter picture)

http://www.roofracks.co.uk/thule/Rear+M ... 3+BackPac/

So it should all fit ok... maybe!

They look good and great for extra storage on long trips or just to keep stuff out the cali ..
:)

I take it you've got one.... any problems fitting it onto the vw bike rack?

I wouldn't want to drill my bike rack to fit one, if I were doing it I'd look to make up some clamping plates that go under the bike rack frame.

You'll need to keep a weather eye on bike rack loading and tail gate load too.

I think the drilling was referring to the box, not the rack. Looking at how it's fitted, there a a couple of U-shaped pieces that go underneath the wheel rails

Weight-wise, it should be ok, as I'll be putting a number of kitesurfing kites in there, and they don't weigh very much

Does anyone actually have the Thule Box fitted to the VW Cycle Rack - After our trip away we are looking at purchasing a box to fit on the VW Cycle Rack.
:D

Received the following answer about the Thule 900 Box direct from Thule themselves

"Unfortunately the only bike carriers that is compatible with the 900 backup box is the Thule EasyBase 948/949 or the now obsolete Euroclassic Pro 902"

I think somebody out there should make a box to fit the VW California Cycle Rack!!!
Anyone up for a challenge??

:headwall

Brandrp have a similar type of thing called "FLEXBAG luggage bag for tailgate"

We decided to go with the Brandrup Flexbag - Bought it from Mahag and arrived in France within a week..... Folds up very small so can store in the van without taking up any room whilst not in use - Plan to put the Classic Dome, Roof cover, etc in it. Will let you know how it goes. Not secure but everything that will be in it will be erected on site - Bike rack can then fold back up and no problems parking.... :idea:

hedy1962 said:
We decided to go with the Brandrup Flexbag - Bought it from Mahag and arrived in France within a week..... Folds up very small so can store in the van without taking up any room whilst not in use - Plan to put the Classic Dome, Roof cover, etc in it. Will let you know how it goes. Not secure but everything that will be in it will be erected on site - Bike rack can then fold back up and no problems parking.... :idea:

Hi,

How did you get on ?
Cant decide between Brandrup Flexbag and and Fiamma ultra box. One is secure and robust the other is flexible, easy to store and half the price and allows a couple of bikes as well

Thanks

I am really happy with a Thule Backup 900 fitted to a Thule BackPac 973... It is a secure and very useful setup, highly recommended to avoid a relentless moving of things inside....

IMG_20150309_155813.jpg

I am really happy with a Thule Backup 900 fitted to a Thule BackPac 973... It is a secure and very useful setup, highly recommended to avoid a relentless moving of things inside....

View attachment 7444

Hi,

I am curious about your roof box. I have the Beach california and have tested today to put some weight on the roof. If i put more than 15kg on my roof bars it doesn't stay up. I can see that your roof box is pretty much in front of the roof. Are you not opening your roof or how do you do it?
I was thinking on forcing the roof to stay on with adding some wood piece to hold it open, but that is a pretty dangerous trick.
I was more about to do the same with the Thule backpack, but as my rear door is struggling to stay open as it is i am mind full that it won't stay open with a 420litre box on top of the bike rack.
I don't want to sound negative, but i would like to find a good solution to add space as i am traveling now with 2 kids with a 3rd coming.
Thanks to share your experience.

Dombo, sorry for my late reply.
I have the California Comfortline (SE in the UK?) with an electric roof, specified for up to 50 kg weight, no problems with opening or staying in place. I don't know for the Beach, but I would not play with some wood piece. But I suppose that manual lifting of the roof with additional 50 kg can be a hard task anyway.
But for the rear door I would definitely check with your dealer. The door has to say open firmly - the outside temperature has some influence too, but not that much.
For the Thule BackUp 900, it stays up only if it is empty, but in all other cases someone has to hold the door. I get used to it, but it can be annoying.
Best, B.

Hi, The Brandrup Flexbag looks great but is designed for the old T6 bike rack. Does anyone know of a slightly smaller version that will fit the new bike rack?

best wishes Rod

Thanks for the link Alan, I want to be able to carry two bikes as well which the Flexbag allows
Rod

Thanks for the link Alan, I want to be able to carry two bikes as well which the Flexbag allows
Rod
This box fits under the open bike rack on the tow ball. So the bike rack can be used with it in place.
As the luggage weight is on the tow bar, the tailgate may well be happier with just the weight of two bikes on the rack.

Alan

Back