Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule bike carrier

Wengen007

Wengen007

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi
I am thinking about ordering a Thule 929 Euroclasic G6 bike rack it mounts to the tow bar. Does anybody have any experience with these?
I am thinking about this as I don't want to drive around with a bike rack all the time on the tailgate as I won't use it that much.
It looks a great piece of kit and should tilt so you can still end the rear, my main worry is though does it tilt enough for the tailgate to open?
Thanks for any advice :thanks

I strongly advise you try one first - I went to a Thule dealer, and the model that was supposed to tilt back far enough did not in fact do so.

That was about 2 years ago. Since then, I believe the range has been modified to give more tilt, but best to check before purchase!!

Lewis

I have to say, the VW bike rack is fantastic. Really quick to use. Secure, folds out the way.

I don't find it an issue being on all the time, You can supposedly even lift the tailgate up with 2 bikes on it.

No issue with Parking sensors either.

I know it is not what you asked, but worth consideration.

syrup1971 said:
I have to say, the VW bike rack is fantastic. Really quick to use. Secure, folds out the way.

I don't find it an issue being on all the time, You can supposedly even lift the tailgate up with 2 bikes on it.

No issue with Parking sensors either.

I know it is not what you asked, but worth consideration.

You absolutely should NOT lift the tailgate with the bikes on. Yes it will lift, although you will need to be strong and most lightly the tailgate will slam shut. But more importantly I have two very small pressure dents from doing just this with only 1 bike...!!!

Having had the VW rack, I much prefer the towbar rack. The Strada really is brilliant. Slides out the way to allow access to the rear which is a must when travelling.
I also like the fact it takes about 20 seconds to remove and can then be stored away in a nice dry garage.

We too had the VW rack but not only can you not get into the back of the van when the bikes are on but actually lifting the bikes on can be quite a challenge. After Mrs Davidofhook refused to do this we bought the Strada which is much better for us. She now finds it much easier to load (!) and access is available to the rear of the van when travelling. Ace.

Wengen007 said:
Hi
I am thinking about ordering a Thule 929 Euroclasic G6 bike rack it mounts to the tow bar. Does anybody have any experience with these?
I am thinking about this as I don't want to drive around with a bike rack all the time on the tailgate as I won't use it that much.
It looks a great piece of kit and should tilt so you can still end the rear, my main worry is though does it tilt enough for the tailgate to open?

If you are keen on this rack, I would look at perhaps ordering this from a Volvo dealer.....stay with me here.....I'm not insane!

The Volvo 3 Bike Carrier is in fact exactly the same bike rack with a Volvo badge on it. They are available in their car brochures just now for £335 I think and I am trying to get the dealer to honour this price which was offered when I bought my XC70 in the winter, rather than the £470 or so they quoted me. I will let you know how I get on with my haggling! I liked the Atera strada as someone else mentioned, but the Thule is really good too, if about 3 kilos heavier. It is EXACTLY the same rack and can be found on the following link too. I really have looked into this too much for my own health :crazy
http://accessories.volvocars.com/Access ... K/XC70(08-)/2014/D5%20AWD/Manual/R.H.D/ShowDocument/VCC-463707

55.jpg

Thanks for all the great advice I am back on the web doing more research :thanks

I have the Volvo rack and yes it is the same thing as the more expensive Thule. Even the handbook refers to it as a Thule rather than Volvo bike carrier.

Just make sure you have somewhere big enough to store it. It's pretty cubersome but otherwise excellent. 10 out of 10 from me.

Do the rear parking sensors work with the Altera Strada VW T5 bike carrier / rack?
Is the removable ball on the towbar robust enough for this?
Many thanks - just discussing with Hugh at SMG Cowfold to order a new Cali!

skip.lesion said:
Do the rear parking sensors work with the Altera Strada VW T5 bike carrier / rack?
Is the removable ball on the towbar robust enough for this?
Many thanks - just discussing with Hugh at SMG Cowfold to order a new Cali!

The removable towbar is perfect for the job. I have used the towbar on the Cali a couple of times and it holds the towbar mounted rack plus 3 bikes no problem whatsoever. It's a robust piece of kit.

Many thanks, defender1
Can anyone advise on whether or not the rear parking sensors work - or are they automatically inactivated when the electrics for the rack are connected?

skip.lesion said:
Many thanks, defender1
Can anyone advise on whether or not the rear parking sensors work - or are they automatically inactivated when the electrics for the rack are connected?
They're deactivated automatically when the towball electrics are connected.

When deactivated does the rear view camera still operate?

SteveM said:
Came across the following product whilst searching for alternates to the thule easybase. Looks like exceptional value by comparison and made by a british company .... no experience directly but through I would share:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bak-rak-four- ... _414wt_958

Steve.

Very basic, you get what you pay for !
To be legal you are going to need a light board with this as the bikes will obscure light & number plate.

Wengen007 said:
Hi

Did you get the 929 in the end? I too am interested to know if it tilts enough to clear the tailgate & if it will also take the backup box.

No not got one yet I collect my new Beech tomorrow then I will decide which carrier to buy. Can't wait for tomorrow to come :hello

Wengen007 said:
No not got one yet I collect my new Beech tomorrow then I will decide which carrier to buy. Can't wait for tomorrow to come :hello

Brilliant! We collected ours on Thursday & still walking round with a big grin on our faces! We've got the vw bike rack which we can't fault (had it on our caravelle too & feel is money well spent!) Our problem is needing extra storage for wetsuits, cycling gear & paraphernalia that comes with 3 kids. Thinking about having the 929 to put a backup box on but could also put one of the kids bikes on it once the youngest is needing her own bike so we can carry 5 bikes!

Not sure where you are but there is a good place I spoke to in Sevenoaks they were really helpful and said I could go there and theory would fit one to make sure it would be suitable before buying. Maybe try that first to make sure.

Decided to go for the Atera Strada DL it arrived today and seems great fitted it loaded it and took it for a quick test drive can't wait until it get a full outing.

image.jpg

Wengen007 said:
Decided to go for the Atera Strada DL it arrived today and seems great fitted it loaded it and took it for a quick test drive can't wait until it get a full outing.
Does the Altera Strada DL fold forward enough with bikes on to allow the rear door to open fully? I've been advised by the Roof Box company to purchase the Altera Vario 3 AR 2751 to allow the door to open.

Yes it does it's really good the only thing I had to do was twist the handle bars around on the closest bike to the door, I have mountain bikes on it I guess it would depend from bike to bike and how wide the handle bars are but very easy to twist the bars around to be inline with the bike frame and then it's no problem.
I will take some more pics as soon as I use it and post them for you.
I bought if from the Roof Box co.

I also have one (Altera Strada DL) from the roof box company. It was out of stock when I ordered it so they offered to lend me an alternative until they had one. Fantastic customer service! I put my two bikes into the two slots furthest from the van which means they allow the tailgate to open. Brilliant bit of kit.

Back