Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule Bike Rack Cover

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Have searched a few threads on here without finding an answer. So, what cover would you recommend for a Thule VeloSpace XT 3-Bike Towbar Mounted Bike Rack?, or is a cover not worthwhile? I’m thinking more about security on a long journey rather than keeping the bikes clean.

Have searched a few threads on here without finding an answer. So, what cover would you recommend for a Thule VeloSpace XT 3-Bike Towbar Mounted Bike Rack?, or is a cover not worthwhile? I’m thinking more about security on a long journey rather than keeping the bikes clean.
Personally I only use one when at the destination, not sure many last long when in place during transit. Just used for cover on site. Bit of security.

We use an inexpensive cover when travelling, it hides what the bikes are/ makes it harder to see what locks are fitted.

Covers are great for bike security - the less they see the less they want it!
Take a look here ...

Just wondered if you had bought a bike rack cover, we need to buy one for our T6.1 VW bike rack fitted, will not be using when on the road (see various 'threads' mention they get damaged by the wind when travelling) just to protect the bikes when on site/campsite. Will have max 3x adult bikes on the rack?

Just wondered if you had bought a bike rack cover, we need to buy one for our T6.1 VW bike rack fitted, will not be using when on the road (see various 'threads' mention they get damaged by the wind when travelling) just to protect the bikes when on site/campsite. Will have max 3x adult bikes on the rack?
If just on site then any cover big enough would do.
Suggest you look at large barbacue covers. Tend to be more robust.
I have one for a large gas barbacue on wheels with 2 side tables. It would easily cover 3 if not 4 bikes.

We haven’t yet @Gelato. Am considering one of these though.

Last edited:
We haven’t yet @Gelato. Am considering one of these though.
Think I might buy the Thule (307335) Motorhome/Caravan bike cover in black for 4 bikes, hopefully this will have enough room for all 3 bikes, some reviews of bike covers say they don't have enough room for the umber of bikes designed for!!

Think I might buy the Thule (307335) Motorhome/Caravan bike cover in black for 4 bikes, hopefully this will have enough room for all 3 bikes, some reviews of bike covers say they don't have enough room for the umber of bikes designed for!!
Perfect for covering the bikes on site. Not sure it’s OK for use on towbar racks whilst on the move.

Perfect for covering the bikes on site. Not sure it’s OK for use on towbar racks whilst on the move.
Not going to use a cover when on the move, various 'threads' on this forum say covers get damaged with the turbulence when on the road, sounds like not worth the risk, so just to cover when on site/location.

Came up to Scotland about 3 weeks ago without the bike covers and they must have gritted the roads bikes covered in salt was unable to wash them immediately and all gears/nuts and bolts rusty. Big job when i get home.

For use on the move, pick up a Oxford Rainex Aquatex cover (not Aquatex Rainex) which is the thinner of the two. it can be tied down easily and well and even if it gets torn, it is not expensive, but keeps the crud off the cycles. Get the XL for 2 bikes. Not sure if it can take 3. (or cheap enough to get three of the small ones to use on each individually). Packs up small enough to store in with the chairs.

edit: got rainex and aquatex confused.

Last edited:
I know Alec Hammond, the owner of Oxford. I’ll ask him for a discount :)

For use on the move, pick up a Oxford Rainex cover (not Aquatex) which is the thinner of the two. it can be tied down easily and well and even if it gets torn, it is not expensive, but keeps the crud off the cycles. Get the XL for 2 bikes. Not sure if it can take 3. (or cheap enough to get three of the small ones to use on each individually). Packs up small enough to store in with the chairs.
Thanks for your help, I can't find the Oxford Rainex cover XL, do you have a link or image of one?
What about these covers (Amazon)?

cover.png

cover 2.png

@GrumpyGranddad

You might want to remove your delivery Postcode from the post above.

The stretch covers look nice. Do they cover 4 bikes tightly?