Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule central rafter for awning

Speleo62

Speleo62

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
has anyone got a Thule central rafter?? Bought one at caravan and mother home show in October and only just got round to trying it out. We can't work out how to fit it. Anyone got picture or can take a picture of brackets. We think we have the wrong fittings. Thanks

Its here on YouTube. copy and paste.
has anyone got a Thule central rafter?? Bought one at caravan and mother home show in October and only just got round to trying it out. We can't work out how to fit it. Anyone got picture or can take a picture of brackets. We think we have the wrong fittings. Thanks

They don't make one for the VW Awning, speak to Nick at Comfortz as we purchased the Fiamma one that works a treat

IMG_1416.JPG IMG_1417.JPG Thought I'd update this post. We now have correct fitting and Thule rafter is great. Fits perfectly and easy to fit once you have the right fitting. Would recommend. This fitting removes to wind awning in.

View attachment 24282 View attachment 24283 Thought I'd update this post. We now have correct fitting and Thule rafter is great. Fits perfectly and easy to fit once you have the right fitting. Would recommend. This fitting removes to wind awning in.
Where did you get the rafter and fitting from? Also is it just a straight pole or does it have a curve? Cheers.

Where did you get the rafter and fitting from? Also is it just a straight pole or does it have a curve? Cheers.
We got ours from motorhome and camper van show. Thule dealer. Can't remember name Will have a look for dealer when home tomorrow. No it doesn't curve but it stops awning bowing. Just had torrential downpour and it was great

I had a central rafter on a previous Fiamma, I thought about getting one for the Cali but decided that if it's that kind of weather you're best off winding it in.

Having 'lost' one to the wind I'm now of the view it's a sun shade.

They don't make one for the VW Awning, speak to Nick at Comfortz as we purchased the Fiamma one that works a treat
Do you have special adaptors , to allow the fiamma one to fit?
I have one, and presently put the end cap in the van channel, and fit the rafter onto it

Old thread but we’re considering a central rafter for the awning on our Cali (Thule Omnistor 5102). Anybody bought one recently that they can recommend? I think the attached photo might be what we need?

74E974FD-BCEF-48DD-9FAA-65F1CE083E76.png

Old thread but we’re considering a central rafter for the awning on our Cali (Thule Omnistor 5102). Anybody bought one recently that they can recommend? I think the attached photo might be what we need?

View attachment 76805
Not having my van yet i have no way of checking but the brackets on page 2 of the acched should give a good indication of if it will fit.

Attachments

• Manual_Tension_Rafter_G2.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 28
Got in touch with Thule support regarding a rafter. Here’s their response:-

Hi Mike
Unfortunately the 5102 awning doesn't accomodate a tension rafter.
For your reference, 5102 is technically a wall mounted model.
Also good to know:
If you ever need awning spare parts or a new awning, only VW has the right to sell these for California models.
Thule dealers can deliver accessories for the awning, such as smart panels.
Hope this helps,
Have a great weekend.

Based on my previous experience, if you feel the need for an additional rafter I’d wind it in before going to bed!

Based on my previous experience, if you feel the need for an additional rafter I’d wind it in before going to bed!
Agreed.
I wanted one to hang stuff from rather than stiffen the awning. I’ll rig something up in due course.

Just get the Fiamma one, it comes with an adaptor (end caps) to fit other awnings:

Hmmm I bought one of these from an ex-forum member who swore it worked well. I used it for the first time when it was pouring down the other weekend, bracing the rubber caps into the awning and van,?but it still fell on me… worked well though when it was up, preventing a pond in the middle of the awning.
Just need to work out how to fit it more securely.…perhaps I’ll try some Velcro either end

Hmmm I bought one of these from an ex-forum member who swore it worked well. I used it for the first time when it was pouring down the other weekend, bracing the rubber caps into the awning and van,?but it still fell on me… worked well though when it was up, preventing a pond in the middle of the awning.
Just need to work out how to fit it more securely.…perhaps I’ll try some Velcro either end
Why is there a "pond" in the middle of the awning? Just have one leg lower than the other and the water runs off.

Why is there a "pond" in the middle of the awning? Just have one leg lower than the other and the water runs off.
The fabric stretches over time due to its weight, so will eventually dip in the centre.

Having one leg lower than the other can be a painful option for taller people.

Why is there a "pond" in the middle of the awning?
What @Ch1pbutty said.
I found that even with a leg lowered (and I’m 6ft so it’s not ideal to have one too low) I ended up with a pond, and didn’t want that weight stretching the fabric

I guess we are all different. With one low leg I get no pond and I am 6'2" and have no problems.

Back