Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule G2 Awning Side Panels

CampervanBits

CampervanBits

VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
N/A
Thanks to one of our friends on Twitter for this great pic of the Thule G2 side panels in action

IMG_20171101_102051.jpg

Are these fitted to the vw factory fitted awning?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It seems to sit snug up against the van whereas the Comfortz one seems to have a gap , is that the case ? ( speaking as someone who doesn’t have either yet )

Yes you can have these more snug up against the van as they use the whole width of the awning and do not foul the sliding door.

Yes you can have these more snug up against the van as they use the whole width of the awning and do not foul the sliding door.
I understand the side panels are pegged down, but would you advise, as in the photograph, using a Tie Down kit as well, as you are more likely to have to leave the awning room up in windy weather, or is it sufficient to just use the side panels?

Having said that I don't see how you can properly tension the awning by winding back without the counter pull of a Tie Down Kit/guys.

On the rare occasions that we use ours we use the same thule tie downs as shown in the picture, they clip into the top of the legs & have a couple of very substantial ground anchors at the other end.

The Thule sides also use solid aluminium beams at the top that connect to the awning case & clamp the edges of the awning, this makes the whole structure a lot more rigid.

Every single caravan awning uses tie downs in addition to the pegs at the bottom of the sides, ~I don't see why our awnings should be any different.

The tie downs hold far firmer than the pegs at the bottom of the sides because of the different angle of the forces on them. The pegs at the bottom of the sides get pulled back up by the gusting wind whereas the tie downs pull on their pegs sideways. Hope that makes sense.

Who sells these? & how much are they? Smart piece of kit.