Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule Roof Bars - Any Issues?

The Mighty Pauls

The Mighty Pauls

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi there lovely people!!

Just bought a kayak and want to get roof bars fitted.... Thule Website says nothing compatible, Halfords say the same....

roofracks.co.uk list the following parts for the Cali, but the chap I spoke to said that Thule are now saying (only int he last few weeks apparently) that roof bars are non compatible with raising roofs.

Thule Rapid System (4 pack) 751
Thule WingBar Evo 127 (pair)
Rapid Fitting Kit 183057

Two quick questions:

1 - Does anyone use this configuration and have any issues?

2 - Does anyone know if i can use the lower profile 753 footpack? The very helpful chap on the phone mentioned that it's possible that the curve of the roof mean it's tricky to attach a box etc?

Much appreciated you wonderful, amazing people!

Aaron, Bristol

Hi there lovely people!!

Just bought a kayak and want to get roof bars fitted.... Thule Website says nothing compatible, Halfords say the same....

roofracks.co.uk list the following parts for the Cali, but the chap I spoke to said that Thule are now saying (only int he last few weeks apparently) that roof bars are non compatible with raising roofs.

Rapid Fitting Kit 183057

Two quick questions:

2 - Does anyone know if i can use the lower profile 753 footpack? The very helpful chap on the phone mentioned that it's possible that the curve of the roof mean it's tricky to attach a box etc?

Aaron, Bristol
Your handbook will give you the max allowable roofload (think its 50kgs when raised). Interesting that Thule state that roof bars are not compatible with raising roofs, especially when VW go to the effort of fitting a T-track on the elevating roof of a Cali. People have been carrying roofboxes, surfboards, kayaks etc on elevating roofs for years with no issues.

Thule will fit, expect another member can advise re correct foot-kit.

We have Yakima Whispbars fitted. You need the track mount for a Cali. Just select the bar length that best suits you, we have wider ones to allow for a wide SUP + skinny roofbox.

The Ruk upright is worth getting for kayaks; (can probably find cheaper than below but make sure it comes with T-track adaptor then it just slides into the slot on the roofbars):

The advice given regarding the curve of the roof is b*llshit. cali roof is flat, bars are flat & foot kit is raised anyway to overcome any curve in the roof - this applies for all vehicles.

Last edited:
I've been using the Thule wingbars with lower 753 feet for two years, no issues. We have a Thule roofbox permanently attached to the van, along with a bike rack for a 5th bike. I try to avoid putting too much weight in the roofbox, but do occasionally carry a bike and two inflatable kayaks up there (which must exceed the 50kg suggested). But I don't ever raise the roof with the bike on (I will raise it with a fairly light load in the roof box though).

As an aside, I have two rigid 4.1m kayaks, which I carry on the roof of a Volvo. I wouldn't put those on the Cali, they definitely feel too heavy and I'd find it impossible to get them up there (it's a two man job, and two 7ft men/women at that).

I've been using the Thule wingbars with lower 753 feet for two years, no issues. We have a Thule roofbox permanently attached to the van, along with a bike rack for a 5th bike. I try to avoid putting too much weight in the roofbox, but do occasionally carry a bike and two inflatable kayaks up there (which must exceed the 50kg suggested). But I don't ever raise the roof with the bike on (I will raise it with a fairly light load in the roof box though).

As an aside, I have two rigid 4.1m kayaks, which I carry on the roof of a Volvo. I wouldn't put those on the Cali, they definitely feel too heavy and I'd find it impossible to get them up there (it's a two man job, and two 7ft men/women at that).
Thanks for this! My kayak is 4m in length and weighs 36kg. I am assuming that with some kind of step ladder and the assistance of my 6' tall son - I may be able to get it up there?

Thanks for this! My kayak is 4m in length and weighs 36kg. I am assuming that with some kind of step ladder and the assistance of my 6' tall son - I may be able to get it up there?
Probably. I'm 6ft, my wife is 5ft, so on the Volvo she has a step ladder and we equalise heights that way. We use Thule cradles to sit the kayaks at a 45 degree angle (the Volvo isn't wide enough to lay them both flat). If you are laying them flat on the Cali roof then that would be much easier, the difficulty with the cradles is that the kayak wants to slip out of it (and into your face!) as soon as you put it up, so you really need a third pair of hands holding it in the cradle while you strap it in.

As this is why we tend to use the Decathlon inflatable kayaks more often.

Our tandem triplet bicycle isn’t far off that weight, and I manage just fine on my own getting it on or off. But I do need to prepare carefully before hand with our plasterers’ platform.

75c586b2ef9b2256308f680e83bad34c.jpg

Our tandem triplet bicycle isn’t far off that weight, and I manage just fine on my own getting it on or off. But I do need to prepare carefully before hand with our plasterers’ platform.

75c586b2ef9b2256308f680e83bad34c.jpg
Amazing - thanks for this!

Why not buy an inflatable kayak, can you get inflatable ores too? Or you could get an inflatable roof rack thingy. Either way, it should be inflatable, just like my new girlfriend!!
Don’t get the Iron ores though, they will be too heavy.

Yep, we have these. No problems at all, much prefer the lower profile.
Quick question - do you know what the total clearance is roughly with the wing bars and 753 feet fitted? My garage is 2.1m (I think!!) Thanks!

Hi there lovely people!!

Rapid Fitting Kit 183057

Two quick questions:

Aaron, Bristol
I just received delivery of exactly these three items today for 2020 Coast. Hoping this works for kayak (Feelfree Gemini Sport) . Hoping great minds think alike.

Quick question - do you know what the total clearance is roughly with the wing bars and 753 feet fitted? My garage is 2.1m (I think!!) Thanks!
You need to allow min. 12cm above the rail. Could be tight.

Your handbook will give you the max allowable roofload (think its 50kgs when raised). I

The current advice from VW is 50Kg with the roof shut and Zero with it open.

I just received delivery of exactly these three items today for 2020 Coast. Hoping this works for kayak (Feelfree Gemini Sport) . Hoping great minds think alike.
It will be fine
I had same kayaks on same bars and foot pack. No problem

Another one here who uses those wing bars and (the lower) foot packs with a kayak .A 5m fibreglass sea kayak in my case.
One tip when setting up the bars and foot packs for the first time. If when you come to lock the foot pack covers the key is very stiff to turn it means the foot packs aren't far enough apart. Probably only a case of a mm or so.

To load the kayak I have developed my own solution to put the kayak on the side of the van and then 'walk' it up 2 vertical bars with spring loaded plunge pins until its a roof height. Can then push over the final bit while standing on the step also in the photo.

IMG_3141.jpgIMG_3143.jpg

The version shown is Mk2, I'm now on M3 made from aluminium section (cheap roof rack off eBay) rather than wood and drawer runners.

Mine is like the Karitek. I used to have the Sherpas translift but I modified it into a prototype for my current design. The prototype rattled, but my finished design does not !!!

You don't need a roof rack to fit it to. For the California users, I have a neat solution to re-align it if you take it off the roof. I also have a roofbox bracket and a kayak bracket.
I have enough material to make 100 roof-racks !!

I'll post some pics later

So I have created a strut which is made from part of the roofrack section - so it has a T-slot in it. When it is at the side of the car, the strut is horizontal - so it is a simple matter of fitting a bike carrier to the strut rather than the roofrack.
For a tandem I am not sure what bike carrier you have, but if it fits the T-slots for a standard roofrack, it should fit this one.
The only issue that needs to be addressed is to tie the bike handlebars to the roof rack in some way to stop it bouncing over large bumps etc.. BUT this can be done at the side of the van so it should be pretty easy to do.

I investigated this mode of transport rather than fitting the bike vertically because of height. However, if you are happy having the bike vertical, then you can use the bike carrier fixed directly to the roofrack, but the bike has to be loaded near horizontal - which is a bit of a faff, but easily done with two people (assuming there will be two people for a tandem). I have used both methods.