Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

TIE DOWN STRAPS?

Hello @Eileen
Sorry, I do not know the ones from the shop however I bought some from Peggy Peg (guess they are quite the same). When I used them it wasn't windy at all but close to the sea and I think it's a good idea because weather can change quickly.

We nearly lost our awning last weekend so we think we need some kind of tie down strap. I am looking in the club shop but there is a choice of 4, which one is most effective and easy to fit?
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product-category/awnings-and-accessories/awning-accessories

also is it good practice to use the tie down even when weather is calm?
Any of those will do. I use the Brandrup type but I also use decent pegs, Rock Pegs ( plenty of sets on eBay ) for the Tie Down kit and the base of the Awning legs. I always use them no matter the weather or forecast.

If the awning is all the way out then the long tie down strap is very good. It goes from one end to the other of the awning and the strap fits over the bars giving a very firm support.
image0003.jpg

This is the shorter one. It is actually 2 short straps and they fit into the Kador slot on the awning and can be used when the awning is only partially out. I use mine in line with the awning bars so at right angles to the top photo.
Fiamma tie down 2.jpg
Both types have a spring by each peg which allows a bit of give if there is a strong gust of wind. As Hotel California & Welsh Gas said above, the awning must be fixed down if it is rolled out.
One earlier Forum poster came back from a walk to find their awning had blown over the roof of their Cali.
It is called Fiamma Premium Awning Tie Down Kit – Yellow in the shop.

Could anyone advise if the Kampa tie down kit for Thule awnings is okay.
I cant get hold of a Thule one anywhere now but the Kampa one is available. It looks like it has the same clips/inserts as the Thule version.

many thanks

Could anyone advise if the Kampa tie down kit for Thule awnings is okay.
I cant get hold of a Thule one anywhere now but the Kampa one is available. It looks like it has the same clips/inserts as the Thule version.

many thanks

Yes, it will work. They are the same. If I remember it right, the Kampa one had strong velcro whereas the Thule one had cam buckles ... but both of them work fine.

The Fiamma Caravan Awning tie-down kit is another option.

The Fiamma Tie Down straps are excellent. Bright yellow so you can see them and don't trip up. They go over the two bars that you wind out with the awning. The you hammer the spikes into the ground with a spring on each one to add a little "give" if there are gusts of wind. Very effective and well under £20. In my post above, #5, those are the Fiamma ones with the awning room.
1627497096638.png

Back