Time to test the cover

Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Well it is time to test the insurance cover, Caravan Club policy. Stopped at a roundabout next thing a BMW in the boot. Off on holiday in 24hours (to a cottage this time)
boot open and will not shut. :sad:sad
van3.jpg van3.jpg

FINN8419.JPG

van6.jpg

Phew … feel for you. Hopefully you are all well and get a joyful weekend after all.

Ouch! Bad luck not much you can do when that happens. Trust you get it all sorted with your CC insurance.

Mike

Sorry to see that Andy & look forward to seeing it fixed.
I wonder what was distracting the BMW driver.

No luck there....
Hope you get it fixed soon.
Looks like a new bumper , boothdoor , trims under rear lights needed.
Make sure they take a good look underneeth that all for damage.
And have the parkingsensors changed ....could be causing trouble later....

No luck there....
Hope you get it fixed soon.
Looks like a new bumper , boothdoor , trims under rear lights needed.
Make sure they take a good look underneeth that all for damage.
And have the parkingsensors changed ....could be causing trouble later...

sure will. quote "Get a quote and I will pay cash" my quote " I think not" parking sensors gone. VW approved repair only

Ouch, sorry to see that, what a downer!
Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.

As a aside I've seen that many people looking at phones in the rear view mirror I'm planning front and rear dash cams.

So sorry to see that. Even holidaying in a cottage it's nice to have the Cali. Take it you're ok?

In my experience the other insurance company will be keen to settle before you start to develop whiplash and other injuries. Best take legal advice straight away.

Hope you're sorted quickly.

Hi Andy,

Sorry to see the outside damage. Don't forget possible inside damage, that you cannot see very easily.
If you can still open the boot, maybe you can do a meticulous damage inspection of everything inside, like: the two aluminum chairs in the door, bent linings left, right and bottom, have a look also at the kitchen block (has it been moved by the shock?), Is the wiper and its water sprinkler mechanism working? Gas installation, fresh water tank (and its outlet tap handle). Wheels and axles not hit? Bed plate ok? Airco motor behind the right lining in the boot working ok?

Ofcourse your garage should check this, but maybe they don't.... Better to give them and the insurer a checklist that is as long as possible.

On the positive side: if you have a tow bar (can't see it on the pics), then there's a strong u-formed steel beam behind the bumber, that can absorb quit some force.

Hope you will be on the road again soon.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Thank you all for your wishes.
All inside appears ok, tow bar there (neck not attatched)
All equipment including chairs and gas bottle removed. several boxes of stuff.

Sorry to hear this Andy. As were locals, and after my issues, I would suggest you look further a field for an VW approved repairer. Our local one cannot paint or match Candy White. (I know that it can be done as my original dealer repaired a door chip which is perfect)

All day on the phone. Thursday & Friday.
3rd party not informed his insurance company (yet!) no answer to phone calls or return of voice mail.
My insurance company confirm he is insured and funding repair to get moving with the aim of a non fault claim on his policy.
My insurance wanted to use their approved body shop was not VW approved but after a little discussion agreed in me using VW approved repair bodyshop.
Hire car provided for our Wales trip. How I missed the van today.

Andy,

Sorry mate :sad

What a bummer...

Hope it all works out or you

xx

Jen

Thank you all for your wishes.
All inside appears ok, tow bar there (neck not attatched)
All equipment including chairs and gas bottle removed. several boxes of stuff.
Andy, I now see what you were referring to in my thread on wheel covers. Ouch, I am really sorry. Hope that you get it sorted quickly (and with an approved VW dealer!) It is like losing your right arm with no van isn't it.

Hope it gets sorted quickly and to your satisfaction, enjoy your hols, good job you'd booked a cottage not a campsite.

Estimate now in just under £4k waiting insurance to approve repair. 2 weeks for repair.
Just spent a week in North Wales in a rented Vauxhall insignia WE MISS OUR VAN +++++++ This last week even staying in a cottage has highlighted what a great holiday drive a Cali is.

UPDATE OF PROCESS

Caravan Club insurance (Policy with AXA) cover seems to cover us well.
  • claims management supplied hire car could have got a motorhome or camper if wanted.
  • Cali into VW approved body shop on 15th due back on 27th
  • Claim via my insurance policy as 3rd party who run up my rear not responding to contact attempts and not reported to his insurance provider.!
And 15 days after the accident other party's insurance rang me and set an e-mail.

offering to supply Claims manager + a hire car up to --- wait for it £24 a day and pay body shop cost of £27.50 an hour. advised them I would be claiming VW bodyshop approved costs and actual real hire car costs,and being it was 2 weeks since their client ran into me it was a little late in offering to "manage" the accident for me.

Roll on the 27th :thumb

Thanks I think you've made up my mind.
Will join Caravan Club and take out their insurance subject to a half decent quote.
Glad your getting sorted

Mike

So how was dealing with the Caravan Club insurance team like?

So how was dealing with the Caravan Club insurance team like?

1st calls with CC then passed to AXA which tried to get work via one of there approved repair centres (nonVW) stuck to my guns and they agreed VW repair shop. AXA although give a named handler different person every time I called them. (for van repair)

CC also forwarded me to claims manager at Chiefrentals - 1st class support Could have got a hire motorhome if required. (for hire car and out of pocket expenses)

No excess paid so I would say payment will be recovered from 3rd party OK-- not sure how long that will take.

As said earlier Peter Cooper bodyshop really good service.

28th, Van back form VW Peter Cooper Body shop Bognor :bananadance very pleased with the service communications and finished repair. I would recommend them. All restocked with day van and over night equipment, rear facing dash camera now added. (Paranoid or what).

Caravan Club insurance happy with service,and process very happy if they and I can't see why they will not claim all costs back from 3rd party who ran up my rear.

2016 = Year of the body shop roof repair 2 weeks now month off road for rear end repair!

Last edited:
Thanks I think you've made up my mind.
Will join Caravan Club and take out their insurance subject to a half decent quote.

our cover is under £330 did find cheaper but you pay your money and you take the chance. Wish there was more feedback re insurance claims on forum as the premium is only part of what it cost you.