Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Time to visit the Canary Islands this summer?

Canary Bird

Canary Bird

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
If you were considering a ferry journey from mainland Spain to the Canary Islands this summer, the tickets are now on sale through Naviera Armas. It is usually much cheaper than the ferry line Transmediterranea. Naviera Armas usually releases summer boat tickets much later, but they were just released for purchase. There will be passenger spots for awhile, but vehicle spots & "camarotes" (rooms as it is an overnight journey to/from Huelva, mainland Spain) sell out quickly.

Also, California's are classified as "Turismo Mediana" (a vehicle up to 2meters tall and 5 meters long). We always have a bike rack with Thule case sitting on it (adding another 1/2 meter in length), but mark the vehicle length as 5 meters ... and cars can pull up under it a bit ... and the ferry company is always fine with it.

PS Naviera Armas' customer service is nothing remotely as good as North Link Ferries, so lower expectations a bit. :)

I was never a big fan of the canary islands, until that is I rented a car and drove up into the hills, wow its like a different world up there. :)

The most just use the beach , but i also seen some docu's on the inland and tbe nature is stunning ...never been there ..

I completely understand that 99% of the people who visit these Islands are coming from months of grey clouds, cold & rain, so it make sense they spend 99% of their time on the beach. However, the way to enjoy the Islands are the mountains and you need a vehicle to do that. There is wild camping along the coasts, but the local government has campgrounds that are rarely used by anyone throughout the Islands and free and you can stay 1-2 weeks at a time.

Camino-Las-Vueltas.jpg

images.jpeg

386412.jpg

00607_Vuoristotie_ja_laakso_Anagan_niemimaalla.jpg

Whats the average cost for a ferry? Can the dog be taken?

Whats the average cost for a ferry? Can the dog be taken?
Yes, you can take animals (dogs, horses, etc.). There is no way to give a price as it all depends on the days of travel, staying in a seat or room, ages of those traveling. You would just need to plug in your info to get an idea.

http://www.navieraarmas.com/en/home

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 4.05.34 PM.png

Thanks for the info Canary Bird. When it arrives I intend to take the van (and telescope) across to Tenerife in the future to spend some time under the excellent skies at latitude 26, and the only thing putting me off was the high price of Transmed, so its good to know there is a cheaper option.

I agree that it is important to get away from the beaches to see the real islands, and, at least in the case of Tenerife, to stay away from the southwest. The north-east area and Santa Cruz/La Laguna area is totally different -- think desert (in every sense) versus lush subtropical. Even the beaches up in the north are OK, backed by mountains, and not totally overrun with buildings as in the southwest. Most of the non-domestic airlines fly in to the 'wrong' airport so a lot of visitors only get to see the arid parts. Up in the caldera the landscape is also stunning, Martian-like (and very cold at night!).

Martin

Last edited by a moderator:
VW Commercial Vehicles of the Canary Islands hosted a California camping weekend and invited a professional photographer known for his star photos.

A little tip, Teide National Park (best star spot) doesn't allow you to pop up during day or night, nor officially camp. However, get to the parking lot of the Parador hotel in the National Park in the early evening as it fills up with Californias that will pass the night "un-popped" and you can camp for free in the park. There is a bathroom to the right when you enter the Parador hotel's reception and a cafe for hot drinks.

14485105_10154618038767558_4193532710819783054_n.jpg

14590506_10154618038732558_5601812083780348228_n.jpg

14591630_10154618038772558_3060463246733694834_n.jpg

If you visit the north of Gran Canary you may like to try this restaurant http://www.casamartell.es I've not been for many years but it was excellent local food.

Rod