Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Timing Belt Kit

Padraic

Padraic

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi everyone, after I purchase my T4 Freestyle I asked my local garage to carryout a full service including the timing belt kit. However the timing belt kit from VW was on back order at the time, I had the option to use a kit from the motor factors but I decided to wait and use VW parts.
The timing belt kit is still on back order, and I'd like to get this work carried out soon. I went to my local VW garage on Friday and asked them to check the status of the kit, but all they could tell me that there was no stock available in the UK or Ireland and that they had no visibility on European stock or no idea when it would be back in stock.
As there are many VW T4's fitted with the 2.5 ACY/AXG engine, its unusual that this timing belt kit would be out of stock for so long?
Does anyone know of a VW Dealer in mainland Europe that would be helpful enough to check the stock for me and maybe give me an indication of when it might be back in stock.
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Padraic.

I use "gates" belts. Have used them on my previous T4, Polo, and my Passat which i still have, water pumps not sure of a good manufacturer.
perhaps you could contact @sidepod he seems to know a lot about T4

Give Scottys Van Centre a call.

There is literally nothing Graham doesn’t know about T4’s.

He will probably be able to order you what you need and sent it on.

http://www.hiremycampervan.net/

Hi everyone, I've still made no progress with this. Does anyone know of a VW dealer on the continent that can speak English and is of the helpful type? I cant understand how this timing belt kit has been on back order for so long, especially when this engine is so popular. My local VW dealer say that they only have visibility on stock in Ireland and the UK.

I'm not sure I can help directly, except to say I personally wouldn't be too precious about getting this kit from VW - even when parts come in a VW branded box, the contents are commonly manufactured by a trusted/approved 3rd party (and, in my experience, this is especially true when it comes to things like belts & bearings/tensioners).

Can I suggest you look up the VW part number equivalent from a reputable manufacturer? Here's a link to Bosch (for example) where I see they do complete "one box" kits, both with or without water pump:

http://www.bosch-automotive-catalog.com/en/vehicle-search

Googling the Bosch part number(s) gave lots of in-stock results (even available on Amazon).

I understand what you mean, and this has been a hot topic for years, weather dealer parts are made by the same manufacturer as parts bought from motor factors. My mechanic reckons that he uses Dayco kit and has never had a problem.
However, as I just have bought my T4 California recently I want to complete one big service using VW parts and have it right from the beginning.
I've been waiting since May for the kit, so I'm hoping it shouldn't take much longer.

Is that a genuine VW part?

The description states "Genuine VAG Cambelt kit complete with tensioners" and the picture appears to show VW boxes and parts.

Sorry if it wasn't clear but I have no connection to the seller and I wasn't trying to make a recommendation - just trying to help. If you want more details though, can I politely suggest that you contact them directly?

Cheers, I'll give them a call a check it out. Thanks for the help with this.

Well after a very long wait, the timing belt kit for the AXG engine is back in stock with VW, the cali is currently with my mechanic for timing belt replacement and full service.

Picked up the cali Tuesday evening, timing belt kit replaced and full service carried out. Thankfully after a check over, it only needs part of the exhaust to be replaced.
However its the section with the cat, my mechanic suggests replacing it with a straight through pipe as it would be cheaper and he believes it will pass the Irish test without it.
And thoughts on this? Will it have any downside?

Back