Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tiny brown spots on paint

Ting Tong

Ting Tong

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
When cleaning the Cali myself for the first time last week since before Christmas, I noticed lots of tiny brown spots that looked like iron stains. A quick google suggested they may be just that and suggested an iron particle remover. Luckily I had some Dragons Blood wheel cleaner which is basically the same stuff and turns purple on contact with iron. I did a test spray to confirm it didn’t harm the paint and the spot immediately went pink confirming it was iron. The spot then wiped off easily leaving no mark. I then sprayed the visibly affected areas on the sides and could see purple runs forming on over sprayed unaffected areas.

It looked abs horrific and was everywhere on both sides with mild spotting on the front and very little on the tailgate. I left it on for 10 mins then snow-foamed and jet washed it before using a clay mit.

Luckily it’s all gone leaving no marks but I wonder whether anyone knows what may have caused it. I haven’t been using an angle grinder or doing any diy near it and it may have been there for months.076DD92B-AB60-4405-A74F-0E067D89720C.jpeg

Have you parked near a railway track? That can be a cause.

I remember a similar thing happening to cars in a car park at a company I worked at. It was finally raced to be industrial fallout from a nearby factory.

its from the brakes on the open train.

Vw used to deliver the vans with open trains and loads of new vans
had that problem.
I think you may be right: wouldn’t be the Cali brakes as everyone’s would be like it.

Back