Tips and Tricks for new T6 owners.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
New Owners of T6's are now taking delivery. Although there are some mechanical differences between the T5 and T6 there have been very few changes in the Camping/Habitation areas of the T6, so I thought I would post some Tips & Tricks I have learned personally and from Forum members in one place. Feel free to add to the list.

1. The California uses the Campingaz 907 cylinder. If you wish to carry a spare then the 904 has the same fittings, is the same diameter, just 1/2 the height.
2. Be careful fitting the VW supplied Stop Valve and seperate Regulator to the cylinder. Do not overtighten and make sure the Regulator is properly positioned on the Stop Valve or you will either be unable to fit the Gas locker lid or be able the o fit it but not undo it. So be careful.
Calor Gas do a Combined Regulator/Stop Cock which fits much more easily, but you need to combine it with a quick release in-line gas fitting.
3. Water leaks from the roof are often due to the Drainage Channels being blocked. With the Roof up then the rear drain holes are easy to see, short in length and straight. The front ones are underneath a clip on plastic cover, easily removed, but take care cleaning these drains as the water flows down a tube in the A pillar and this tube has a 90' bend so if you use something very stiff and long then it is easy to perforate the tube.
4. The Sound/Navigation system works off the Engine Starter Battery. That is why it will shut down after 20/30 mins with Ignition Off. Repeated use with the Ignition Off when camping can flatten the engine battery. If you have Mains Hookup and a built in charger then this will charge the Leisure Batteries and also Trickle Charge the Engine Battery. This may be sufficient to keep the Engine Battery in good condition despite frequent use of the vehicle sound system.
Alternatively you could rewire to use the Leisure Batteries or use a Seperate Sound Sytem.
5. Always have a Downwind Door or at least a window open when lowering the roof.
6. When using the downstairs bed, having pulled the seat forward and then lowering the seat back. If it does not lock easily in place, check there is nothing slid forward from the boot area. If you force the back down then it is easy to damage the plastic seat back.
7. Get an Auxillary Fixing kit for the awning, basically Guy Lines and invest in some good tent pegs. I recommend Rock Pegs, together with a mallet and a good peg remover. I would not leave the awning out, and the vehicle unattended, unless properly pegged down.
8. Spare wheels are choice targets. Easily removed if you do not take precautions. Just using a Security Locking Bolt is not good enough, easily removed using a pair of Stilsons or equivalent, as it is not shrouded unlike when used on the wheel. SpareSafe or something similar can prevent this.

Hope these Tips & Tricks may help. If anyone has any additional points then please post.

9. If you have a drivers door / window rattle AND you have an Awning fitted. Try winding the awning out about 1/2 metre and the rewind BUT do not overtighten as the gear wheels are plastic and can be stripped.
10. If you have Mains Hookup, charger and Leisure Batteries ( Ocean and some Beach's ) then plug into the Mains for 12/24 hours at least every month to keep the Leisure Batteries in good shape.

New Owners of T6's are now taking delivery. Although there are some mechanical differences between the T5 and T6 there have been very few changes in the Camping/Habitation areas of the T6, so I thought I would post some Tips & Tricks I have learned personally and from Forum members in one place. Feel free to add to the list.

1. The California uses the Campingaz 907 cylinder. If you wish to carry a spare then the 904 has the same fittings, is the same diameter, just 1/2 the height.
2. Be careful fitting the VW supplied Stop Valve and seperate Regulator to the cylinder. Do not overtighten and make sure the Regulator is properly positioned on the Stop Valve or you will either be unable to fit the Gas locker lid or be able the o fit it but not undo it. So be careful.
Calor Gas do a Combined Regulator/Stop Cock which fits much more easily, but you need to combine it with a quick release in-line gas fitting.
3. Water leaks from the roof are often due to the Drainage Channels being blocked. With the Roof up then the rear drain holes are easy to see, short in length and straight. The front ones are underneath a clip on plastic cover, easily removed, but take care cleaning these drains as the water flows down a tube in the A pillar and this tube has a 90' bend so if you use something very stiff and long then it is easy to perforate the tube.
4. The Sound/Navigation system works off the Engine Starter Battery. That is why it will shut down after 20/30 mins with Ignition Off. Repeated use with the Ignition Off when camping can flatten the engine battery. If you have Mains Hookup and a built in charger then this will charge the Leisure Batteries and also Trickle Charge the Engine Battery. This may be sufficient to keep the Engine Battery in good condition despite frequent use of the vehicle sound system.
Alternatively you could rewire to use the Leisure Batteries or use a Seperate Sound Sytem.
5. Always have a Downwind Door or at least a window open when lowering the roof.
6. When using the downstairs bed, having pulled the seat forward and then lowering the seat back. If it does not lock easily in place, check there is nothing slid forward from the boot area. If you force the back down then it is easy to damage the plastic seat back.
7. Get an Auxillary Fixing kit for the awning, basically Guy Lines and invest in some good tent pegs. I recommend Rock Pegs, together with a mallet and a good peg remover. I would not leave the awning out, and the vehicle unattended, unless properly pegged down.
8. Spare wheels are choice targets. Easily removed if you do not take precautions. Just using a Security Locking Bolt is not good enough, easily removed using a pair of Stilsons or equivalent, as it is not shrouded unlike when used on the wheel. SpareSafe or something similar can prevent this.

Hope these Tips & Tricks may help. If anyone has any additional points then please post.
9. If you have a drivers door / window rattle AND you have an Awning fitted. Try winding the awning out about 1/2 metre and the rewind BUT do not overtighten as the gear wheels are plastic and can be stripped.
10. If you have Mains Hookup, charger and Leisure Batteries ( Ocean and some Beach's ) then plug into the Mains for 12/24 hours at least every month to keep the Leisure Batteries in good shape.
Cheers for that WelshGas, as always very helpful :thumb

Thanks for the info. Welshgas, one of the first jobs with the new van was to fit the 907 gas cylinder and it was certainly a snug fit - the regulator had to be just so before I could get the lid to screw back in place.

11. I know the T6 has a different Dashboard but from what I can see, as in the T5, there is a gap between the Dash and the Windscreen. This has nothing to do with the Ventilation System, it is just a space about 10" deep between the Dashboard and the front panel. Very easy to lose things down it, keys, credit card papers etc. So be careful. It is possible to get a Quarter Radius Rubber Extrusion that will sit in this gap to stop anything falling down.
You have to remove the Dashboard side panels at least, to get anything that has fallen down, or use a probe with double sided tape down the gap. So be warned.

I'ts simple , you tread the T6 like the T5 they are exept for the engines and some cosmetic changes almost the same ....;)
Still a good effort by WG:thumb

Thanks for taking the time to do this WG. I shall faithfully cut and paste them Into my idiots guide which trust me will be required. Ta

Many thanks WG. Regarding the stereo, i asked my dealer to do this for me, they in turn asked VW Spain about the CANBUS issue. The response from VW was "do not touch this at risk of losing the electrical system guarantee". So that's that from the dealer, they've advised me not to get this done anywhere else either. Pretty frustrating.

It would be awesome if somebody could get an official opinion from a UK dealer, if they say something different then at least i've got something to go back to VW Spain with...

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Many thanks WG. Regarding the stereo, i asked my dealer to do this for me, they in turn asked VW Spain about the CANBUS issue. The response from VW was "do not touch this at risk of losing the electrical system guarantee". So that's that from the dealer, they've advised me not to get this done anywhere else either. Pretty frustrating.

It would be awesome if somebody could get an official opinion from a UK dealer, if they say something different then at least i've got something to go back to VW Spain with...

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
There must be a reason that VW have chosen to do it this way?

It could be because it's too much hassle to make the modification, when the base transporter vehicle is wired to run from the vehicle battery, or...
Could it be because the engine only trickle feeds the leisure battery when it is running (I believe?) so, if the stereo or nav was running from the leisure battery and you've run that battery down, this could potentially leave you without nav functionality when driving?

Probably the former, because it's easier, but it's a thought.

Great list, though. Really useful, thanks.

I agree. Having said that whilst on hookup we have watched a few DVDs and use the radio in bed so don't have to get out to switch off with no problems. Otherwise we use a rechargeable speaker system that plays music from a SD card or USB stick so portable and recharges from a 12v USB charger and has a 5 hr battery life. I also use the iBoost to tap into the campsite WiFi or the free Fon system and an iPad for online TV or the web.

Last edited:
Thank you for this WelshGas, that's brilliant info. Nothing beats real experience shared between real owners:thumb

Great thread. I had no issues what so ever fitting the gas bottle. Did the t5.1 get a newer regulator. It seemed to slip on and lid on no issues. I wouldn't think its been changed as straight from dealer most things still in wrapping.

Great thread. I had no issues what so ever fitting the gas bottle. Did the t5.1 get a newer regulator. It seemed to slip on and lid on no issues. I wouldn't think its been changed as straight from dealer most things still in wrapping.
Is it in 2 parts, regulator and stop-tap, screwed together. If not set up correctly in relation to each other it can jam the gas locker screw cap
But I've, along with some others have made a modification that make it a lot easier to fit/remove a combined regulator/stop tap.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/loose-gas-connection.12031/

Unless of course it has been changed on the T6.

Is it in 2 parts, regulator and stop-tap, screwed together. If not set up correctly in relation to each other it can jam the gas locker screw cap
But I've, along with some others have made a modification that make it a lot easier to fit/remove a combined regulator/stop tap.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/loose-gas-connection.12031/

Unless of course it has been changed on the T6.
I must have been extremely lucky then in my set up. I see on the thread it appears Briwy I thinks pic, has a bottle cosy or similar. What is it, as I would like one to keep everything clean, as the rusty 907 refil looks rotten

Last edited:
Out of stock at the moment but thanks. Will keep checking

Mike
Plenty of other places. I got mine from Amazon, have seen them on eBay as well.

Plenty of other places. I got mine from Amazon, have seen them on eBay as well.
I've had a punt around but no luck. I will try harder. Purchasing items on t internet usually my strong point

Mike

11. I know the T6 has a different Dashboard but from what I can see, as in the T5, there is a gap between the Dash and the Windscreen. This has nothing to do with the Ventilation System, it is just a space about 10" deep between the Dashboard and the front panel. Very easy to lose things down it, keys, credit card papers etc. So be careful. It is possible to get a Quarter Radius Rubber Extrusion that will sit in this gap to stop anything falling down.
You have to remove the Dashboard side panels at least, to get anything that has fallen down, or use a probe with double sided tape down the gap. So be warned.

This has just happened to me, trying to stick on a plastic ticket holder and darn thing dropped right down the gap you mentioned. I remember reading this sometime ago thought it would be good to get this tips and tricks bumped for the many new owners.

Found this but not sure if it will fit a T6. Emailed them to find out, although I would have thought a great item for the shop?

...message ends...

This has just happened to me, trying to stick on a plastic ticket holder and darn thing dropped right down the gap you mentioned. I remember reading this sometime ago thought it would be good to get this tips and tricks bumped for the many new owners.

Found this but not sure if it will fit a T6. Emailed them to find out, although I would have thought a great item for the shop?

...message ends...

Bought one of these several years ago, someone on a t5 facebook page was selling them for about £12 i think?

Back