Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tips for removing the wheel centre caps?

• Thread starter Gazbibelots1860
  • Start date
Gazbibelots1860

Gazbibelots1860

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Any bright ideas of removing the centre caps without removing the wheels? I tried a method I saw on YouTube by using strong tape in a hook shape and a sharp yank from pliers but the tape just ripped off.

I bought a new set to replace scratched ones

(annoying as I just took the van in for new brakes, could have asked the garage!)

Any bright ideas of removing the centre caps without removing the wheels? I tried a method I saw on YouTube by using strong tape in a hook shape and a sharp yank from pliers but the tape just ripped off.

I bought a new set to replace scratched ones

(annoying as I just took the van in for new brakes, could have asked the garage!)
There is normally a removal tool in beside the car- jack...

1717672197800.png

Oh great thanks! Do you know how you use it?

Stick it in the little hole in the cap, twist/turn it to get leverage and then yank the cap off.

It's obvious when you have the tool and the cap in front of you

post a pic of the wheel centre cap

Stick it in the little hole in the cap, twist/turn it to get leverage and then yank the cap off.

It's obvious when you have the tool and the cap in front of you
Ah to my knowledge there is no little hole in the cap! it's a 2011, unless i need a closer look

Ah to my knowledge there is no little hole in the cap! it's a 2011, unless i need a closer look
Genuine VW wheel caps have had removal holes in them since the 1940s so I guess yours are just the same. I am confident in the 1940s statement as I have a 1946 Beetle and for newer vehicles I have owned many up to a 2023 MAN TGE (VW Crafter) all equipped the same.

Genuine VW wheel caps have had removal holes in them since the 1940s so I guess yours are just the same. I am confident in the 1940s statement as I have a 1946 Beetle and for newer vehicles I have owned many up to a 2023 MAN TGE (VW Crafter) all equipped the same.
That wire tool is to get the wheel nut covers off. The centre circular 65mm caps don't have holes in.

If the cap is rubbish anyway punch a hole through it with an old screwdriver & lever it out. New one should just clip straight in.

I presume we are talking about this type of cap?
vw cap.jpeg

And when you punch the hole through with a screwdriver and big hammer don't forget to wear the correct PPE for the job

Hi @andyinluton - that's the one yeh, didmnt think abotu just smashing it off, I was worried about prising it out as I dont want to scratch the alloys. I guess the worry if I'd end up leaving the clip bits in place and then couldnt get those out. Something really realy sticky would do the trick - my duck tape wasnt strong enough I dont think

Hi @andyinluton - that's the one yeh, didmnt think abotu just smashing it off, I was worried about prising it out as I dont want to scratch the alloys. I guess the worry if I'd end up leaving the clip bits in place and then couldnt get those out. Something really realy sticky would do the trick - my duck tape wasnt strong enough I dont think

Those caps are not intended to be readily removable, they don't need to be removed for any form of maintenance they are just a trim item. If you really want them of the correct way it would be by taking the wheel off and tapping them out from the inside.
The ones that I referred to previously were the type that cover the wheel bolts/nuts, that type all pull off with a tool in the tool kit.