Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tiptronic gearbox oil change

Diego

Diego

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all

I bought a California Comfortline 2,5 TDI 174ch 6-Tiptronic from 2004 with 78000Km and was wondering if anyone knows every how often is needed to change the oil of the automatic gearbox tiptronic 6 speed...

thanks in advance
Diego

Hi all

I bought a California Comfortline 2,5 TDI 174ch 6-Tiptronic from 2004 with 78000Km and was wondering if anyone knows every how often is needed to change the oil of the automatic gearbox tiptronic 6 speed...

thanks in advance
Diego

I am just following my service plan from VW. As far as I know it depends on various facts like age, km/year and driving style?

Check with the manufacturer of the gearbox. VW said the oil in the tiptronic installed in my '05 passat was good for 'the life of the car'. ZF, the manufacturer, however recommended 60k km to replace the oil. Lots of these boxes failed from people following VWs maintenance advice instead of ZFs

Check with the manufacturer of the gearbox. VW said the oil in the tiptronic installed in my '05 passat was good for 'the life of the car'. ZF, the manufacturer, however recommended 60k km to replace the oil. Lots of these boxes failed from people following VWs maintenance advice instead of ZFs

Hi Burnercan,

I checked with ZF and this is what they said:

Your car VW California is equipped with a 6 Speed Aisin Warner Transmission. For this transmission it is not possible to get any oil change recommendation, so you have to refer to the car dealer.

For cars with ZF Transmission we recommend to change the oil and filter after 80 -120’000 km or 8 years.

So the question now is : What type of transmission does my Cali have? Any ideas how can I find this?

Cheers
Diego

So the question now is : What type of transmission does my Cali have? Any ideas how can I find this?

There would be an ID on the gearbox itself, but google would know what was installed for that year.

I didn’t want to mislead you into thinking it had a ZF box in it, just my experience with the difference between what VW may say vs their suppliers.

I would verify what gearbox you have, then contact that manufacturer for clarification (may well be Aisin Warner if that’s what ZF said.. Google should know where to find the ID)

Good luck with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H Diego ... do let us know what you find out. I'm shortly collecting an 08reg SE, same 174/tiptronic combination & am also v keen to find out what's best/needed for the box. Only done 59k mls & I want to keep it in the best shape possible.

Back