Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tire depth increase

J

jameskeswick

Vehicle
T5 Beach
After recently being (almost) stuck on a muddy campsite field I’m keen to upgrade to some All terrain tyres with better grip. I currently have 235/55/17’s as stock but was curious about increasing the size slightly to 235/60/17’s. Has anyone done so and are there any issues? How far out will the speedo be - enough to notice in real world or covered in the slight margin left by manufacturers? Also what about the spare? Could I get away with the 55 depth current spare if the other wheels were now 60’s? Many thanks.

Why?

You are proposing to increase the tyre wall from a 55% ratio (to the width) to 60%. What do you expect to gain?

I think you are likely to have issues with your insurance....yes you will have to declare deviations from standard fit.

Also, the speedo readings will be out. This is something you do recognise. You can do the sums.....

17" diameter wheel + 2x (235mm / 55) will give you the diameter of the outer tyre surface (standard)

do the same calculation but with 60 substituted for the 55 above.

Then calculate the circumference measurement for each calculation.

The difference when calculated as a percentage of the standard circumference measurement will be how far the speedo will read out.

Ohhh, and I recon that the police and MOT will not take to kindly to your upgrade either!

Yes it can be done.
304DBABE-34CB-4CE4-BF7F-FDEDBAC30E13.jpeg
There is a conversation about it here.

Last edited:
It’s the tread pattern that needs to be more aggressive, increasing the overall diameter of the tyre doesn’t increase the tread depth.
the more aggressive you go the more noise the tyre makes.

I went for Michelin Lattitude Cross In standard size 235/55/17
082EDAE3-0736-4D00-BEA2-D3CBEF256AAC.jpeg

It’s the tread pattern that needs to be more aggressive, increasing the overall diameter of the tyre doesn’t increase the tread depth.

View attachment 65445
I have just fitted these, they look, feel and sound ok to me.

Why?

You are proposing to increase the tyre wall from a 55% ratio (to the width) to 60%. What do you expect to gain?

I think you are likely to have issues with your insurance....yes you will have to declare deviations from standard fit.

Also, the speedo readings will be out. This is something you do recognise. You can do the sums.....

17" diameter wheel + 2x (235mm / 55) will give you the diameter of the outer tyre surface (standard)

do the same calculation but with 60 substituted for the 55 above.

Then calculate the circumference measurement for each calculation.

The difference when calculated as a percentage of the standard circumference measurement will be how far the speedo will read out.

Ohhh, and I recon that the police and MOT will not take to kindly to your upgrade either!

Thanks for the reply and your concerns. I understand the risks hence the question. I was thinking 60’s as I can put on 215 60 17’s and still conform so thought the height might be ok. There seems to be a lot of people running 17 / 65’s which look great, 60’s seemed like a safe compromise.

Yes it can be done.
View attachment 65444

Thanks! That combination looks awesome! Have you had any issues with the bigger tyres?

View attachment 65445

These are my other preferred option and probably the way I will go on the 55’s. (If you go to 60’s there seem to be a lot more choices and they fill the arches better, quite possibly not worth the downsides though, this is the dilemma for me!)

These are my other preferred option and probably the way I will go on the 55’s. (If you go to 60’s there seem to be a lot more choices and they fill the arches better, quite possibly not worth the downsides though, this is the dilemma for me!)
There will also be a slight increase in vehicle height.

Thanks for the reply and your concerns. I understand the risks hence the question. I was thinking 60’s as I can put on 215 60 17’s and still conform so thought the height might be ok. There seems to be a lot of people running 17 / 65’s which look great, 60’s seemed like a safe compromise.
Ahh ok. in your original post you described 235/60/17. Yes 235/55/17 will not alter the circumference dimension so speedo will be unaffected.

View attachment 65445

Good morning,

I am interested in those tyres. How long do you have used them? What is your opinion? Are they noticably louder? Has diesel consumption increased? Any changes in handling?

Regards,
Eberhard

Yes it can be done.
View attachment 65444

They really suit your van.
Nice

VW list 215/65R16, 235/55R17 and 255/45R18 all as approved sizes. The approved winter tyre is 215/60/R17 which allows for a greater tread depth whilst maintaining a similar diameter, but having the benefit of a more narrow tyre which will increase traction without affecting speedo or gearing.

I don’t understand how the greater diameter (60) is ok on the 215 width, but not on the 235 width (55)? Surely the diameter is what would affect the speedo etc?

I don’t understand how the greater diameter (60) is ok on the 215 width, but not on the 235 width (55)? Surely the diameter is what would affect the speedo etc?
[/QUOTE
they are the same size.
FBDA28A7-E325-4B7C-8B0A-9106A79300E3.png

Reading this with interest. Almost stuck again in Cornwall last week. My Conti Van Contact tyres are hopeless in mud. Interested to hear Loz’s take on those Michelin tyres!

I’d also like to maintain being able to use snow chains. Not sure if that’s possible with the larger widths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading this with interest. Almost stuck again in Cornwall last week. My Conti Van Contact tyres are hopeless in mud. Interested to hear Loz’s take on those Michelin tyres!

I’d also like to maintain being able to use snow chains. Not sure if that’s possible with the larger widths.

They’re great in the wet though to be fair! I’ve driven in torrential really bad rain and standing water quite a few times and they feel solid.

If its 2wd, why not fit some 215/60/17s to the front (for the chains) and then keep the rears at 235/55/17 on the rear.

They have been great, to be honest, 21K miles and still a couple of mm to go to the markers. They are not noisy and have great wet performance.
MPG, couldn't tell you really as I have nothing to compare them to and I don't drive for the economy.
I'll get the same again when they need changing.

They have been great, to be honest, 21K miles and still a couple of mm to go to the markers. They are not noisy and have great wet performance.
MPG, couldn't tell you really as I have nothing to compare them to and I don't drive for the economy.
I'll get the same again when they need changing.

Thanks Loz.

After recently being (almost) stuck on a muddy campsite field I’m keen to upgrade to some All terrain tyres with better grip. I currently have 235/55/17’s as stock but was curious about increasing the size slightly to 235/60/17’s. Has anyone done so and are there any issues? How far out will the speedo be - enough to notice in real world or covered in the slight margin left by manufacturers? Also what about the spare? Could I get away with the 55 depth current spare if the other wheels were now 60’s? Many thanks.
I have been very pleased with the extra grip and wet weather performance of the Michelin agilis cross climates, it’s a van tyre. Tread wear is doing well. I have had conti vanco‘s on my previous T4 and T5. Swapped to the cross climate for a deeper and slightly more aggressive tread pattern, no noticeable increase in road noise. Still, not sure if they give a slightly harsher ride due to the fact they are commercial tyres and I think come with a tougher sidewall.

Just had to change the fronts due to shoulder wear following a tracking issue on FNS. Both still legal, FOS still about 3mm across full width, FNS borderline on the outside. These were the original Continental VancoFourSeason 2 - Good hard wearing all weather tyres, no issues getting stuck, despite various fields. This pair spent 28k on the rear and 19.5k on the front (yes, changed at 47,500 miles.)

Back