Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

To change or not to change...

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
On our last trip to Nordkapp, I drove daily and stopped for one night at a time. I am thinking of reducing the drive times and staying for two or three nights at a time. I also feel I need more space and a fixed bed. I really like the Hymercar Ayres Rock, as it is only .5 of a metre longer than the Cali.

The Cali is great to drive, but not so good while camped, especially if the weather is bad.

Has anyone moved up a notch, regretted it and gone back to a Cali.

I would be interested to know the whys and whereforths.

Why not hire a larger unit and decide then. I have owned a Hymer A class and on site unbeatable but never an everyday vehicle. You are also restricted access on some locations due to height barries which are becoming more common. Best advice is get what suits you.:thumb

On our last trip to Nordkapp, I drove daily and stopped for one night at a time. I am thinking of reducing the drive times and staying for two or three nights at a time. I also feel I need more space and a fixed bed. I really like the Hymercar Ayres Rock, as it is only .5 of a metre longer than the Cali.

The Cali is great to drive, but not so good while camped, especially if the weather is bad.

I’ve moved up and don’t regret it, but I use my joker a different way to my old Cali.
As I’m mainly in joker all the time and needed the hot water, loo, and shower.
Cali worked amazing as a car, work van and wild camping vehicle very versatile. But me personally couldn’t live in one.

I would agree go hire something elsefor a few days, I know a friend who has swapped his Motorhome 3 times as it wasn’t right one for him! Very expensive mistakes.

If we had more room on our driveway we had gone for a bigger unit as the Cali is small for the cost. We did not want to pay for storage of a larger Camper either so went with the Ocean.

Why not hire a larger unit and decide then. I have owned a Hymer A class and on site unbeatable but never an everyday vehicle. You are also restricted access on some locations due to height barries which are becoming more common. Best advice is get what suits you.:thumb
That's the plan. I have found somewhere that hires out Hymercars, but they are in Edinburgh and we live on the South Coast. But I think I can make it there in a day, hire for three days £127 a day, then come home. That's the plan anyway.

Storage at home is not an issue.

That's the plan. I have found somewhere that hires out Hymercars, but they are in Edinburgh and we live on the South Coast. But I think I can make it there in a day, hire for three days £127 a day, then come home. That's the plan anyway.

Is that Roseisle campers near Edinburgh?
We hired a Westfalia Columbia from them last October, excellent family run firm. Not the cheapest things to hire but they also have a good range on sale (new & used) and any hire costs can be deducted if you buy one.

I've flirted between the two... And still not convinced, although I've got so many Cali specific accessories I've tended to stick with them!
I often say (and get criticised for doing so) that the pop top Cali is too small as a camper IF it is going to sit on your drive waiting for high days and holidays. I admire families that cope just fine in them but that's not us.
Having my Cali as my only car, its a great compromise at all tasks but all are compromised (apart perhaps day trips).
If your Cali isn't used regularly, and (as you say) storage isn't a problem, then I'd go bigger. I fail both those tests so will stick.... For now...

We hired a Westfalia Columbia from them last October, excellent family run firm. Not the cheapest things to hire but they also have a good range on sale (new & used) and any hire costs can be deducted if you buy one.
Did you summarise your thoughts here @larrylamb as I'd like to refresh myself on this topic.

Its a company called Campanda. I will also have a look atRoseisle now. Thank you.

I've flirted between the two... And still not convinced, although I've got so many Cali specific accessories I've tended to stick with them!
I often say (and get criticised for doing so) that the pop top Cali is too small as a camper IF it is going to sit on your drive waiting for high days and holidays. I admire families that cope just fine in them but that's not us.
Having my Cali as my only car, its a great compromise at all tasks but all are compromised (apart perhaps day trips).
If your Cali isn't used regularly, and (as you say) storage isn't a problem, then I'd go bigger. I fail both those tests so will stick.... For now...
Since our boys stopped coming away with us we are doing lots more trips. And this spring Autumn we are planning some quite long trips.

Worth asking VWcampersales in Burgess Hill; They sell them, so might be willing to offer an extended test drive.

Worth asking VWcampersales in Burgess Hill; They sell them, so might be willing to offer an extended test drive.

VWCampersales was where we bought our current Cali. We test drove a manual Hymercar last year from there, but Partex he offered was very low.

Did you summarise your thoughts here @larrylamb as I'd like to refresh myself on this topic.
a little writeup here,

definitely mixed feelings about it, the weather was freezing on our trip and i was glad of this van, very comfortable for us three. Excellent space/layout with inclement weather, heating and hot water was top notch as was the huge rear bed. With a decent fridge and cooking area, "separate" area for tv and lounging, toilet and bathroom we didn't have to step outside once until morning. Not having to traipse to the shower block or wash up area was nice.
Downside was the increased size when trying to park up somewhere, I think you would have to adapt, this van was 6.4m, I would go for 6m myself. The driving experience was poor compared to the Cali, with the auto box constantly hunting up and down the gears and also played up whilst trying to edge up the ramps. Lots of rattles and bangs too but if it was my van i would prioritise fixing this as much as i could, packing, mats, wedges etc.
It's no VW but the camping side was great, no backache or sleepless nights on that bed.
I wouldn't say no to one, but reluctant to get rid of the Cali for its versatility, and it fits in the garage.

I certainly think the Westfalia Joker is worth a consider.... But there's a chance of feeling half pregnant.....
It gives you a fixed bed (albeit with a climb and a bit coffin like) and you get the solid roof for warmth, and full standing height. You've got all the luxuries of a shower / loo / hot water (I think it has hot water), while you keep vw build quality, it's only a foot longer than the pop top Cali, and obviously the same width.
But it's a chunk of money, and having had the earlier T4 version, I suspect it's still a bit big for an only vehicle. I think it's pretty tight inside too... Certainly no passing in the corridor.
I wonder if it's better to bite the bullet with a 6m Fiat and accept the 'size' difficulties that comes with that territory?

Decisions decisions, yes, i love the Joker ( read modern exclusive) but i am struggling with the lack of storage space in there for 3 people. All the bedding can go up top in the nose and i can see a small space in the rear door for ramps, hookup lead but where do you put your Cadac bbq, outside chairs and table, coats and shoes for 3 people etc etc. There is not much wardrobe space. I would have one in a flash but i don't know where i would put half the stuff i can carry now.

I certainly think the Westfalia Joker is worth a consider.... But there's a chance of feeling half pregnant.....
It gives you a fixed bed (albeit with a climb and a bit coffin like) and you get the solid roof for warmth, and full standing height. You've got all the luxuries of a shower / loo / hot water (I think it has hot water), while you keep vw build quality, it's only a foot longer than the pop top Cali, and obviously the same width.
But it's a chunk of money, and having had the earlier T4 version, I suspect it's still a bit big for an only vehicle. I think it's pretty tight inside too... Certainly no passing in the corridor.
I wonder if it's better to bite the bullet with a 6m Fiat and accept the 'size' difficulties that comes with that territory?
A new Joker is £75,000!

Decisions decisions, yes, i love the Joker ( read modern exclusive) but i am struggling with the lack of storage space in there for 3 people. All the bedding can go up top in the nose and i can see a small space in the rear door for ramps, hookup lead but where do you put your Cadac bbq, outside chairs and table, coats and shoes for 3 people etc etc. There is not much wardrobe space. I would have one in a flash but i don't know where i would put half the stuff i can carry now.
Mine has the older style rear seats and they lift up has loads of storage. Wardrobe and high cupboard and drawer above fridge is move clothe storage space than a Cali and underfloor space can store three pairs of shoes and a roll up outside table.
Back tailgate has hooks for coats and hook up cable, boot is very low! Have two retro chairs big 12kg bag of dog food, big tool box yet do the odd job still from van (electrician), collapsable 15l water bottle. Rear boot cupboard has chokes portable jet washer karcher (dog wash), more tool, chemical bottle for loo (big bottles), screen wash, oil, even an octopus washing line thing.
Kitchen cupboards are bigger too way more space.

The Cali has an amazing big boot and fits sofas smeg fridge freezer full electrician van tools and wire etc, I know as I did. So not knocking them, will go back to one if I change my lifestyle back.
Joker is used to live in and do vanlife 15mths of travelling so far and has been bliss with the extra comfort and space as it’s like a tardis (I mainly wild camp) 70l tanks last ages.
Price and 12mth wait is bloody stupid! And only 3 dealers!

I maybe able to swing by on the way back + larrylamb if you’re still blackpool way (I bought them wheels from you for my old cali), that’s if you want a proper nose.

I maybe able to swing by on the way back **+ larrylamb
I'd be grateful to stick my nose into that viewing if it ever takes place!

I'd be grateful to stick my nose into that viewing if it ever takes place!
Hi
I’m happy to show anyone around the van, as long as they realise it’s not a Cali beater it’s a different sort of egg.
It’s pretty much aimed at someone wanting a Motorhome but not wanting a Motorhome if you know what I mean (hot water, loo, bigger tanks) it does drive the same as a Cali (apart from when windy).
If you let me know what area 2into1 I can email you when I’m passing, heading for NEC show via lakes in a week or 2

Ask this question again in 9-12 months time and hopefully we will be able to say ‘we’ve got no regrets’!
We are waiting for delivery of a Hymercar Free 540 from Travelworld in Stafford. Like the Ayers Rock but we preferred the kitchen cupboards (extra shelf for kettle) and fixed sink in the bathroom. Drive of the Cali is much better but we needed a better camping experience. Recommend that dealer if you’re buying

Mine has the older style rear seats and they lift up has loads of storage. Wardrobe and high cupboard and drawer above fridge is move clothe storage space than a Cali and underfloor space can store three pairs of shoes and a roll up outside table.
Back tailgate has hooks for coats and hook up cable, boot is very low! Have two retro chairs big 12kg bag of dog food, big tool box yet do the odd job still from van (electrician), collapsable 15l water bottle. Rear boot cupboard has chokes portable jet washer karcher (dog wash), more tool, chemical bottle for loo (big bottles), screen wash, oil, even an octopus washing line thing.
Kitchen cupboards are bigger too way more space.

The Cali has an amazing big boot and fits sofas smeg fridge freezer full electrician van tools and wire etc, I know as I did. So not knocking them, will go back to one if I change my lifestyle back.
Joker is used to live in and do vanlife 15mths of travelling so far and has been bliss with the extra comfort and space as it’s like a tardis (I mainly wild camp) 70l tanks last ages.
Price and 12mth wait is bloody stupid! And only 3 dealers!

I maybe able to swing by on the way back *+ larrylamb if you’re still blackpool way (I bought them wheels from you for my old cali), that’s if you want a proper nose.
I would love a look around your Joker, it looks great. Message me if you are due to pass by, be nice to hook up, is Zeb still with you?

Ask this question again in 9-12 months time and hopefully we will be able to say ‘we’ve got no regrets’!
We are waiting for delivery of a Hymercar Free 540 from Travelworld in Stafford. Like the Ayers Rock but we preferred the kitchen cupboards (extra shelf for kettle) and fixed sink in the bathroom. Drive of the Cali is much better but we needed a better camping experience. Recommend that dealer if you’re buying
I'd be interested to hear how you got on - we were keen on the Ayers Rock, but then realised it was too high for us to get a parking permit (we have to park on the street), so we've bought another Cali instead & will live with its limitations (and massive advantages, I know!).

I am close to buying at Hymercar 540 Free. only half a metre longer, with a pop top if required and a fixed bed etc.

We've just placed an order for an Ayres Rock, which is only half a metre longer than our Cali and has a fixed bed, toilet and no pop-up. We know there will be driving compromises - I don't think anything will beat the Cali - but the benefit for us will be with the camping experience. We're buying from Highbridge Caravans in Somerset, and have got a good deal from them as they're having Cali in part-exchange. They have been able to amend an order they had placed for a stock vehicle, which means we should take delivery in mid-May.

We visited Travelworld but they didn't offer us a good price for Cali in part-exchange so we've placed our order with Highbridge in Somerset. Travelworld is a very smart dealership though!

Back