Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

To Coast or Not To Coast.......

Do you use the coast function?

• Total voters
Don't use it at all as I prefer to have the engine running/engaged as in cruise condition with some engine braking which isn't that much. I also don't like the engine going to idle when it may have been working hard and very hot on an uphill drag.
If there was a simple switch as in is the case with the stop/start function I'd probably use it on some runs.

I wonder how many times drivers disengage it by touching a pedal in percentage terms when it goes into coasting mode.

Another puzzle for me is that if using coasting how can regenerative energy be produced?
You can also use sport mode, coast is disabled and engine braking is effectively increased, when ACC is used the higher gears are used earlier and of course that action also disengages the coast function.

You can also use sport mode, coast is disabled and engine braking is effectively increased, when ACC is used the higher gears are used earlier and of course that action also disengages the coast function.
Not being funny but just another way to stop coasting function operating.

My point being that coasting has to be preselected before a journey, either on or off. In urban areas it isn't needed but on a scenic or long trip it may well be.

Just thought, I use cruise whenever the road or traffic conditions permit, when coasting wouldn't be utilised, meaning that I wouldn't want any coasting action in traffic conditions where no constant speed can be maintained.

I'm a big fan of DSG coasting and I think I may have discovered a better way of using it.

If I want coasting to re-start (note REstart) after I've had to dab the breaks, I've been relying on a tiny dab on the throttle to communicate my wishes to the engine mgt system.

I've recently noticed that slipping the lever across into Manual and then back into Drive achieves the same goal. This seems a more sympathetic and perhaps more economical method of engaging coasting.

Is everyone doing this already or is this relatively new discovery?

I'm a big fan of DSG coasting and I think I may have discovered a better way of using it.

If I want coasting to re-start (note REstart) after I've had to dab the breaks, I've been relying on a tiny dab on the throttle to communicate my wishes to the engine mgt system.

I've recently noticed that slipping the lever across into Manual and then back into Drive achieves the same goal. This seems a more sympathetic and perhaps more economical method of engaging coasting.

interesting, will check this out tomorrow.
For country lanes turn off via MFD. Not meant for such roads, methinks, otherwise use without overthinking it.

Haven’t turned it Off since leaving the Dealers Forecourt. 4 yrs and 80,000 miles later just used to it and don’t give it a second thought.

interesting, will check this out tomorrow.
For country lanes turn off via MFD. Not meant for such roads, methinks, otherwise use without overthinking it.
Country roads and it's S-Mode for me, giving more control overall, with a more responsive gear for driving into corners and more engine braking from the lower gears selected and coasting off by default in this mode.
Other roads, it never ceases to amaze me how far it will coast, with very little loss of speed, on some roads.

I use brake and throttle as off/on switches. I think coasting is a great feature.

A great function that we use, it seems to be supported on here, as far as the fuel consumption I haven't looked at it that in depth, would like to know if somebody has the results soon

If you don’t want to take your hands off the wheel, just flick the cruise control rocker switch (half-way) to allow coasting, then press re-set to return to cruising speed.

Had our beach 2 months from new now, quite a lot of round town driving. After years driving manuals the move to dsg has been harder than I thought to get used to.

Just realised that the driving experience round town is light years better for me if I turn off coasting. Glad I realised before I chopped it in for a manual!

I'll definitely turn it back on on an higher speed journey.

Just one to consider for the beginners out there.
Tony

Had our beach 2 months from new now, quite a lot of round town driving. After years driving manuals the move to dsg has been harder than I thought to get used to.

Just realised that the driving experience round town is light years better for me if I turn off coasting. Glad I realised before I chopped it in for a manual!

I'll definitely turn it back on on an higher speed journey.

Just one to consider for the beginners out there.
Tony
Interesting, I barely notice the coast function has kicked in. Are you driving in Sport Mode?

No, I dont believe coast works in sport.
I think I am just used engine braking in slow moving traffic creeping forward without massive brake input and revs low. Just wasnt working for me round town with it on.

I've just been out on fast moving, country A roads and turned coast back on. Made perfect sense on that journey.

Let's me focus on the god damn awful H4's!

Back