Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

To mudflap or not to mudflap... that is the question?

bxl_lad

bxl_lad

Its not easy being green...
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
So... I've been obsessing (maybe too strong a word) about fitting some 'original' VW mudflaps, especially so since having the paintwork refreshed, but then doing some google searches of VW T4s realising actually how few vans seem to have them...

What's general opinion of mudflaps, useful or not, nice to have or waste of time... Do they indeed offer any protection to the paintwork or not?

Interested in your thoughts :thumb

Cheers!

If I’d just shelled out a sizeable bunce on new paint I’d deffo fit them.

You may start a trend?

How bizarre! Check the “tow bar” post. There is a photo of a rear mud flap!

I've had vans both with and without mud flaps and they make very little difference I find.
Plus after a few years they discolour and can look a bit manky.
I didn't bother getting any on my new work van.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I fitted front mud flaps from veedubtransporters. Cost about £25 - really easy to fit - just remove one screw inside wheel arch trim and then refit screw and remove a rubber bung from cill and replace with the rivnut supplied. 5 minutes per mud flap. They have reduced significantly the amount of mud splats down side of van when driving down country roads. Would probably be even better if the stuck out slightly at the side (but the genuine VW ones are the same profile and don’t stick out either).

I did not buy the rear flaps as whilst I get dirty spray up the back of van I don’t get the big mud splats from the back wheels - I also didn’t fancy drilling a hole in the plastic trim to secure the rear mud flaps. The rear mud flaps also look like they will divert more spray and splats towards the exhaust silencer on my van - which I thought would not be great. The original VW mud flaps are also fitted a long way back and every time I see a transporter with them fitted I feel they just look odd so far back.

So, for £25 the front mud flaps do keep the sides of my van cleaner for longer and look OK. So I’m happy with my purchase:)

I fitted front mud flaps from veedubtransporters. Cost about £25 - really easy to fit - just remove one screw inside wheel arch trim and then refit screw and remove a rubber bung from cill and replace with the rivnut supplied. 5 minutes per mud flap. They have reduced significantly the amount of mud splats down side of van when driving down country roads. Would probably be even better if the stuck out slightly at the side (but the genuine VW ones are the same profile and don’t stick out either).

I did not buy the rear flaps as whilst I get dirty spray up the back of van I don’t get the big mud splats from the back wheels - I also didn’t fancy drilling a hole in the plastic trim to secure the rear mud flaps. The rear mud flaps also look like they will divert more spray and splats towards the exhaust silencer on my van - which I thought would not be great. The original VW mud flaps are also fitted a long way back and every time I see a transporter with them fitted I feel they just look odd so far back.

So, for £25 the front mud flaps do keep the sides of my van cleaner for longer and look OK. So I’m happy with my purchase:)
I had looked at these from Veedub before, but I didn't like the idea of drilling the front wings (even more than drilling the rear bumper)... I fear drilling the wings will just leave more chance for rust to get a hold...
The originals though are mighty expensive (pushing £90 for a full set)... hence want to be sure before I shell out...

I like the look of mud flaps. Finishes off how a van should look.
Btw, I don’t have any. But it’s something I keep meaning to do

If I’d just shelled out a sizeable bunce on new paint I’d deffo fit them.

You may start a trend?

Agree,

I had flaps fitted to Cali from new. The thought of the cost of any paint damage saved made it a no brainier for me.
They are not huge so maybe not so effective as some.

Also maybe a help to following vehicles in bad weather.

Hi,
We had mudflaps fitted from new.
The Cali is only a few weeks old but it was obvious when I first washed her that the mudflaps had been doing their job, the amount of mud etc. stuck to them was evidence in it's self (especially at the rear).
If you want to protect the paintwork then it a no brainer.
Good luck.

Thanks all... so think i will bite the bullet and buy some of these (although must be the most expensive rubber items since Liam Gallagher's failed condoms!) - looking at around £100 for a new set :eek:

That said, I noticed on some adverts that they specify they're only for RHD vehicles only - surely that's irrelevant?? o_O Can there be two versions of mudflaps for LHD v RHD?

Thanks all... so think i will bite the bullet and buy some of these (although must be the most expensive rubber items since Liam Gallagher's failed condoms!) - looking at around £100 for a new set :eek:

That said, I noticed on some adverts that they specify they're only for RHD vehicles only - surely that's irrelevant?? o_O Can there be two versions of mudflaps for LHD v RHD?

Anyone any ideas on the LHD v RHD question - would like to know before I order... :thumb

Currently scratching my head trying to work out how they may differ?

indeed... I just can't see it (even the images of the mudflaps are mirror images of each other - so not even like there's any difference between the left and right... I think the text on the advert is just wrong... (incidentally, now i look more, its only on a few ebay listings that the 'RHD only' is mentioned... The likes of JK and VW Heritage don't mention it...
What the hell... time to hit the buy button! :bananadance2
:D

Just figured it out. !!!!

........just kidding.

Front's ordered... Have decided (for now at least), that I'm not going to drill the rear bumper, so will leave these off for now. Front's will protect the wheel arches, front doors and side sills (in theory)... So hope it looks ok... Pics to follow ;)

Front's ordered... Have decided (for now at least), that I'm not going to drill the rear bumper, so will leave these off for now. Front's will protect the wheel arches, front doors and side sills (in theory)... So hope it looks ok... Pics to follow ;)

You know you’re going to want the backs too as soon as the fronts are fitted. Are you buying genuine?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup, I've gone for the genuine ones... I'm more concerned for the front wheel arches/sides, I saw one yesterday with the rears and they sit a bit back down the rear bumper so don't protect the leading edge there anyway. And I jst don't want to drill the bumper at this point, but maybe you're right,maybe once the fronts are on I'll think it will look better - we'll see ;)

I fitted flaps to my T4. I fitted the back ones hard up to the wheel arch so there was no gap. I know its not the "factory" place but I preferred the look and wanted the rear bumper to have the protection.

I fitted flaps to my T4. I fitted the back ones hard up to the wheel arch so there was no gap. I know its not the "factory" place but I preferred the look and wanted the rear bumper to have the protection.

Not sure how you managed that. The reason they mount away from the edges of the arch is so the sliding door doesn’t catch them when opened fully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, I've gone for the genuine ones... I'm more concerned for the front wheel arches/sides, I saw one yesterday with the rears and they sit a bit back down the rear bumper so don't protect the leading edge there anyway. And I jst don't want to drill the bumper at this point, but maybe you're right,maybe once the fronts are on I'll think it will look better - we'll see ;)

I’ve got all four. Not sure how effective the back ones are but I’m guessing they keep a bit of muck from gathering on the tailgate. Not all of it tough.

Not sure how you managed that. The reason they mount away from the edges of the arch is so the sliding door doesn’t catch them when opened fully.

I don't recall them catching on my sliding door, maybe you will have a thicker door card on your vehicle?

Back