Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

To Wave or not

apatchee

apatchee

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all,

So been out in my T4 California quite a bit over the last two weeks and been having mixed results on my Wave returns!

I've been waving at most Veedubs I pass (not builders vans). I have been about six years with out a Vw camper, prior to my newly purchased T4 Cali I had a Vw T2 Westfalia for about 10 years and used to get waved at all the time. Surely the Vw scene hasn't changed that much!!
Most of the people who blanked me look miserable.
I find the T5/T6 and the T25's unwilling to wave back the most.

So what's the deal? which should I be waving at? Or has that friendly wave vibe faded away?

Thanks

Wave at ALL Westys. Worth a try to all T5/T6 vans which have wind out awning on the 'wrong' side and are by definition nearly all Cali's. If you want to include Cali's without the wind out awning, then you need good eyes or to drive very slowly.

Still wave when in my bay, try to in the T5 but not much response.Took 2 year old grandchild out in the T5 yesterday and encouraged her to wave though. :)

I came from T25s and in those everyone waved at me including splits and bays, I got waving fatigue to be honest. I always found back then that the T4 and T5 were least likely to wave. Now I've got a t5 myself I understand why waving is less prevalent in them, because after you've waved at one too many tradesman in error you stop trying to guess if its a VW fan or not. Its just harder in modern vehicles to tell if they are enthusiasts or just someone going to fit a new sink or shuttling the kids around. The old ones its pretty sure thing they are an enthusiast, new ones not so much.

I can spot a Cali now though so thats a easy wave.

This goes back to the late 60s and 70s when NSU R0 80 owners. Waved to each other and stuck fingers in the air to how many engines they had fitted in 6months
But I'll wave if I see you wave first

Used to drive a Defender and amongst those there's always a wave ...waving at a Cali most times gets no respond but a strange look on this side of the channel.

On the Belgium Land Rover owners forum i was on back then we had a sticker to put up the front windscreen so one could see the other was on the forum.
Most have a sticker on the side or rear and not visible while crossing each other.
Maybe an idea to disign a new clubsticker special for this...

I am always waving, one hand, both hands, one finger .......

I wave and it makes my day if I'm waved back at. It should be encouraged. It's got more likely now I have my flower garland - which I'll share a photo

No pattern to it anymore !! ... T5 waved at me like mad at the weekend , waved at a bay and just got glared at .. Wasn't a westie though ...there lied the problem ...jealousy perhaps

My husband doesn't wave. He simply raises his index finger in an exceedingly laconic way. If people interpret this as a wave and wave back, all well and good, if not, then he's just "pointing the other van out" to me as we drive past. I wave at anything that is a VW Transporter (but not "full" panel vans if at all possible) on the principle that if you don't wave first how can you expect others to wave back. Both methods seem to work. What REALLY isn't working so well is me waving like a demented windmill at Californias driving past when I'm a pedestrian :( :Iamsorry

Used to drive a Defender and amongst those there's always a wave ...waving at a Cali most times gets no respond but a strange look on this side of the channel.

On the Belgium Land Rover owners forum i was on back then we had a sticker to put up the front windscreen so one could see the other was on the forum.
Most have a sticker on the side or rear and not visible while crossing each other.
Maybe an idea to disign a new clubsticker special for this...

I have a defender and everybody coming in the opposite direction in a defender always waves.
On the odd occasion people don't and I feel a fool for waving..
Sometimes it feels like a Mexican standoff ...waiting to see who waves first!!!

Yea always wave, most do wave back, passed a green T4 Cali today and the driver was waving the moment he spotted my Cali. I even try to wave at other Campers and Motor-homes.

Ok. Just driven from llandudno to Ffestiniog passing 14 vw campers and only 4 waved - 3 of which were t4s. Friendlier bunch. Bit disappointed though.

I wave but don't have a Cali yet... I get some strange looks ....:embarrased

I bet some of you forget when you are in the other vehicle and do it by accident.

Perhaps we need a sticker in the window but there are so many vans can't tell the diff perhaps we should wave to all vw vans not sure the answers

Ok. Just driven from llandudno to Ffestiniog passing 14 vw campers and only 4 waved - 3 of which were t4s. Friendlier bunch. Bit disappointed though.

Might have been the same T4, hopelessly lost, going round in circles, waving at you to stop and help :shocked

Probably thinking "what a load of Sh1t's T5 owners are for not stopping and helping a poor T4 soul in distress .....:sad

Back